Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Letter to (Twenty Two Month Old) Ann Peyton

Dear Ann Peyton,

You are twenty two months old today. Two more months and we will have spent a full two years with you- two of the very best years of our lives! Every single day I watch you grow and change. I try not to ever take that for granted. You are an amazing little girl and we are so very proud of you, Annie.

You are getting so big! I've had to put up a bunch of 18 mo. outfits and even a few 24 mo. things. No 2T's yet, though!

You're getting another tooth and has led to you not wanting to eat as much some days. It's kind of hit or miss, but you always want your milk! You love broccoli and butter beans and almost all fruit and any kind of bread. You also really like ham (you haven't been very interested in turkey lately), but your obsession is cheese. I don't think you could get enough of it. The other night I was offering you oranges and bananas and you asked for grapes. It was the first time you've made a specific request!

You are still a very, very pleasant little girl for the most part, but you have entered a whiney stage and you've started saying "NO!" quite a bit more frequently. That has led to some good discussions on discipline between Momma and Papa. We try to be very age appropriate in how we go about that and often a stern correction and or the natural consequences of your actions is enough to fix the problem. You have gotten a few spankings this month, though.

You have started to really like puzzles and you've gotten pretty good at some of the basic ones, although your favorite part is still dumping them out. You adore your baby dolls and stuffed animals and always want to be carrying one around with you, saying his or her name. Your favorite thing, of course, is still books. You've started to like longer stories (still with plenty of pictures!) and your attention span is growing.

I've lost count of all the words you can say now. The big thing this month is that you've started to string two or three words together. The funniest is "Big Ole' Frog", which is what you call the massive stuffed frog that we recently got down from the attic for you and also now what you call all frogs (even little bitty ones in books). You also have your own little way of speaking in the possesive form; you'll say "Shoes. Momma" for Momma's shoes or "Glasses. Papa" for Papa's glasses. It's adorable! The other night I was talking to your papa on the phone and I said "Love you, sweetie" and you immediately said "Love you, Papa. Love you, Momma". It melted my heart! You also say "Sweetie" or "SweetSweet" a lot because you hear us call each other that. You have learned lots of new animals and can identify zebras and giraffes as well as many others.

You still give great hugs and now you've mastered kisses. You like to say "kiss" and give us a big smooch right on the lips.

There are so many more hundreds of adorable things that you are doing right now and I'm sure this letter could go on indefinitely. You are such a sweet, smart, happy girl and I could never explain how infinitely better you make our lives. We love you so much!

Love, Momma (and Papa)

P.S. Your romper this month is an 18-24 mo. Also, your papa picked out the picture of you this month. I know you look like a beaver and there were cuter ones, but it does show what an adorable little personality you have now!

2 comments:

Allison said...

I have a question, if you don't mind me asking: what have you and Peyton decided is "age-appropriate" discipline? The main reason I ask is that one of my charges is the same age as AP and is in the same whiney stage. Of course, it's not all my decision how she should be disciplined, but I wanted to ask what you thought worked with AP.

I don't think Ingrid's parents would be okay with "spanking", but what do you mean by that? A pat on the butt? A slap on the hand?

I need some advice, bc I'm going CRAZY over here!

Sarah Denley said...

Allison, I'm going to include an answer in one of my upcoming Q&A posts and I've also been planning to right an entire post just on discipline some time in the near future.