Wednesday, February 9, 2011

SD's Answers (Again!)-- Part Four (Faith and Shopping)

Faith

What are your quiet times like? I always find it interesting to see how others spend time with Him./How do you do your quiet time-do you follow any type of reading plan or use a devotion book?
To be honest, my quiet times are not near as consistent as they should be. It is something I have struggled with since becoming a mom more than at any other time in my life as a believer. I just wanted to be honest and put a little disclaimer out there, I guess. That said, for my quiet time, I like a mix of things. I'm reading (for the second year in a row) The Charles F. Stanley Life Principles Bible. It takes you all the way through the Bible in one year with an Old Testament, a New Testament, a Psalms, and a Proverbs reading each day. It also has a lot of little short "principles" that he points out as well as some good articles he writes that compliment the daily readings. In addition to that, I'm reading several faith-related books (see the next question for more on that) and I have a little devotion book by Max Lucado called Grace for the Moment. It has a morning and evening reading and Max is always really inspirational to me. I ALWAYS recommend the book for someone who is new to doing devotions because it's very Biblical based but also very relevant and the morning and nightly readings are SUPER short (but packed full of great stuff), so it's a very attainable goal. One other thing that I like to incorporate into my quite times is listening to/meditating on the words of hymns. I love old hymns and I think the lyrics can be so inspirational. I've written several posts kind of in a journal format based on these times. Lastly, (and keep in mind I don't do all this every day), Peyton and I have a devotion book by James Dobson called Nightlight that we try to do together, but we are not very consistent with it.

What's your favorite Bible study you've done recently?
Right now, Peyton and I are in a group on Sunday night that is reading Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan. We've just gotten started, but so far it's good. I know it's going to really challenge me. I'm also in a Bible Study on Wednesday nights with a group of women and we are reading Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped the Women of the Bible and What He Wants to Do with You. So far, I would say it's more of a true "Bible study" than Crazy Love is, just because in each chapter he is really digging into Scripture and examining these women's lives and the applications that can be made from them. I don't agree with John MacArthur on everything (actually on quite a bit), but I have LOVED this study and I feel like I've grown from it.

In addition to that, I have three other faith related books on my radar. I started a book called Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal and Delight in Our Busy Lives by Wayne Muller. Of course, ironically, I've gotten busy and it has taken me FOREVER to read. I kind of just put it on the back burner when we started the other two. I also ordered One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp (whose blog I am OBSESSED with) and really want to read it along with the Bloom Book Club. In addition, after a little hiatus during their reading of his fantasy/sci-fi works, I think I'm going to be rejoining my friends at the C.S. Lewis book club next month for The Screwtape Letters. It's one of my all time favorites and it's really a quick read.

What's your favorite bible verse(s)?
My all time favorite Bible verse is Romans 8:28- "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." I wrote an entire post about it here.

Shopping


[I] wonder how you find all these great deals. I should have asked you that in your question session. Do you spend a lot of time shopping or are you just lucky?

Okay, this was in regard to decorating and AP's original bedding. In all honesty, my mom found it. I would have NEVER guessed in a million years that Land's End sold baby bedding and especially not cute, feminine polka dot bedding that was just my style. I don't know how she found it, either, since she is not at all an internet shopper. In regards to others things (mainly kid clothes), yes, truthfully I do spend a lot of time (too much time probably) shopping (online and in our area). It's not the most productive hobby, but it is fun and I try to be somewhat reasonable (although if I didn't buy another thing for AP for this summer, I think she'd still be set!).

Okay, so that is all for now! I had so much fun answering all y'alls questions and sharing a little bit more about myself and our family!

No comments: