Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weekly Happenings Post #101 (February 14-20)-- And On the One Hundreth Week, They.....


First of all, how weird is it that this is my 100th Weekly Happenings post? They've definitely gotten more detailed over the past months- I started out doing just highlights, then I decided that I really wanted to be able to look back and see what our days actually consisted of. And then I started adding pictures. I'm honestly pretty amazed anyone actually reads these, given the length and mundaneness of them, but I do enjoy writing them and looking back over them. It's so funny to see how our lives have changed over the past couple of years and I'm pretty sure another big change is right on the horizon!

As far as how the week went, I'm glad last week was so productive, because this one definitely wasn't. Ann Peyton got the stomach bug midweek and she was super clingy and also, in my opinion, having even one person throwing up in your house requires a lot of extra laundry/cleaning. I got to the point toward the end of the week that I just felt so overwhelmed and like I was really struggling to keep my head above water.

It was mostly that I just kept thinking about everything that I needed to get done in the next two months- finishing the nursery, researching the birth, planning a party for AP that is sufficient enough to allow me not to feel like she's been pushed out of the spotlight. And then there's other stuff that I know doesn't HAVE to be done by April but I'd like it to- some of it is things around the house/yard that are largely Peyton's undertakings, but I'd really like to accomplish a few things myself, too- mostly getting the house more organized and a few projects. My friends told me that they think that I have too high expectations for myself, which is funny because Peyton would probably say they are too low. I know all my goals for this year probably won't happen, but if I don't set them they definitely won't.

I will say one thing that I feel like I've done a much better job with this week than I typically do is spending time with the Lord. I didn't read my Bible every day, but I did talk to him a lot more than I usually do. We talked about "praying without ceasing" last week in our Crazy Love study and it really got me thinking about how I should have a much more constant dialogue going on, so I've been more aware of that and have been praying in the car, while getting ready, ect. and it's definitely helped my attitude! The other thing I did do a lot of was....COOKING! I cooked four meals this week- probably a record for our married life. Ha!

Monday was Valentine's Day. We really didn't do anything special and that was just fine with me! I'm sure we'll have a date night sometime in the next few weeks, but I was really content just having a typical day. Peyton did let me sleep late and that was really nice. He and Annie had been up playing for awhile when I got up and got ready. After we had all gotten dressed, we ran a few errands. Peyton wanted to run by Barnes and Noble to get a present for someone at work and then we hit the grocery store for our "big" trip for the month. We got home and I fed AP lunch and started putting up groceries and then my mom came over to help me pain Graves's armoire. It really didn't take long and Annie enjoyed being out in the fresh air. I put her down for a nap and my mom went home.
We still need to add a rod, paint the green trim blue, and put the fabric in, but it's coming along! I love it!

I wrote a Valentine's Day post and then fixed myself some Bagel Bites for lunch. I took them outside and read a magazine while I ate because it was such a pretty day. We really don't hang out enough outside and I planned on taking Annie for a short stroll after she woke up, but I ran out of time. I straightened up the living room where she had been playing all morning and then dusted and polished all the furniture. It looks much better! Annie woke up and I swept in the den and the kitchen while she played. It was kind of yuck because I hadn't dusted or swept in over two weeks. I'm curious: how long can y'all go before you really feel like you need to do something like clean the bathrooms, mop the floor, ect.? I feel like my house gets gross SO fast! I try to do most of that weekly, but it just doesn't always happen.

I really wanted to get the dishes started and give her a bath before supper and Drake, the guy I'm tutoring was coming a little earlier than I thought so we didn't get to our walk. I got the dishes loaded and Annie had a quick bath and I got her dressed in her pjs. When Drake got here, she played a little and then I fed her supper and she spent most of the time eating. I hope I helped him some, it's been a few years since I've taken Algebra. After her left, AP finished supper and I straightened up some piles in the kitchen and then did her night time routine and put her to bed. I was pretty tired! I got on the computer for a little while and then my friend, Logan, called and we talked for almost two hours. I had a snack and folded some laundry while I was one the phone. It was SO good to catch up and I may have to insist on a weekly phone date.

I cooked supper (chicken spinach artichoke squares) and Peyton and I ate and then I cleaned up the kitchen. As I was getting ready for bed, I remembered a couple of things. 1) the armoire was still in the middle of the backyard and 2) the toilet was clogged. Peyton moved the armoire by himself and I plunged the potty by myself. He was successful. I was not. I used to be really good with the plunger, but I flooded our bathroom again. I cleaned it up and went to bed at 12:30.

Annie was coughing a lot during the night and Peyton said he wanted some time with her anyway, so I left her at home and went to Mother's Day Out by myself on Tuesday. That was a good decision because she was coughing so hard around seven thirty (after I left) that she threw up in her bed. Poor thing!

It was a good morning, except that it was the last day for awhile for my co-teacher/BFF, Kellie, because she needed to have surgery. So that was pretty sad. Peyton and Annie were at the park having a picnic and playing when I got finished, so I decided to meet them there. We had a nice time and when we got home AP went straight to bed for her nap. I worked on the week's Babykins #2 post and ate lunch and was about to take a little nap myself and she woke up.

It was a short nap for her and I could tell she was still really tired because she was so snuggly. She actually laid in our bed for about half an hour. Then we got up and read books and she finally got some energy and wanted to play IN her old Exersaucer that's still out in the den. She usually just plays with they toys, but I let her pretend she was a baby and play in it since she still fits! Cookie came over for a little visit and she and I talked and Annie did puzzles and colored with crayons. Cookie left and I started getting ready for the Consignment Preview Sale I had been planning to go to for weeks. Annie wouldn't eat anything for supper and she really hadn't eaten much all day so I told her she could have a little "treat" since I knew she felt bad. I gave her two spoonfuls of yogurt and she shook her head after the second and then threw up. Seems like she always does that in her high chair. It scared her pretty bad this time and I scooped her up and took her to get a bath. She calmed down a little and I got her ready bed.

My mother in law was supposed to keep her, but I felt bad exposing so my in laws to her sickness. My mom offered to come over to our house once she was asleep, though. [My MIL did, too, but I thought maybe she was just being polite and I know with my mom she wouldn't have offered unless she really wasn't worried about it. Also, I'd just feel so much more guilty getting Peyton's family sick than my own. Ha!] While I was waiting on her to get here, I cleaned up the high chair and started laundry and the dishwasher and Lysoled pretty much the whole house. I got to the sale a little late, but there was still a ton of good stuff. I think I kind of overdid it. I had fun shopping and seeing what all Carrie and Rebekkah picked out! Annie hadn't woken up the whole time I was gone and my mom left pretty soon after I got home. I got the house straightened and started more laundry (between the throw up and the flooded toilet we had quite a bit!) and relaxed a bit. Then I got to work cooking fish, broccoli and scalloped potatoes for supper. Peyton and I ate and I read my Bible and went to bed.

Annie woke up at 5:30 on Wednesday. I knew that was a risk putting her to bed at 6:00 the night before, but I felt like it was worth it for cute kid clothes. I really think she would have slept later anyway, but she was so hungry from not having anything in her stomach. She kept saying "milk". Of course, I did NOT let her have milk, but I got her a cup of water and we snuggled on the sofa. I decided some Cheerios would probably be okay, too. WRONG! She threw those up pretty quickly. I popped her in the tub and had to wake up Peyton to take care of her so I could clean up the sofa. He was about to get up anyway and so he just trimmed his beard while he was watching her. I'm really glad our couch is slip covered. I threw it in the laundry and wiped down the pillow form with a damp cloth and sprayed it really good with Lysol Fabric Spray. Annie wanted to stay in the tub for a little bit, so I just watched her while Peyton finished getting ready. It was his day off, but he had a meeting at the capital for a pharmacy organization he's in.

After he left, we settled back in on the (non vomited on side of the) sofa and watched cartoons. We both fell asleep and at some point the TV turned off and I realized the power was out. I never figured out what caused that. We slept for about an hour and then my mom called and I told her about the Cheerios and AP woke up and started crying and begging for Cheerios. I tried to get her back to sleep, but it wasn't happening, so I called my mom back. I talked to my dad and he said that crackers or toast would be better; the oats in the Cheerios are harder on your stomach. I fixed her a bowl of crackers (it's easier than a plate) and I mixed some Sprite with her water and then I hopped in the tub while she ate her snack in the bathroom (gross I know; I put a towel on the floor, though). I got ready for my doctor's appointment and that was quite a process because all my jeans were in the backed up laundry room (all that throwing up generates a plethora of laundry). I ended up just wearing yoga pants, but, just as I predicted my medium t-shirts are too little. However, Peyton's larges still look redic everywhere but my tummy. I found a shirt and moved on. I wanted to do a few things on the computer, like order a flat iron because mine has been broken for a week and I've been ponytailing it since it broke. I brought Annie's dragon in the study because it's not very babyproofed and there's a lot she can get into. The dragon, uncharacteristically, kept her entertained for less than two minutes. I knew she was just feeling bad so I gave up. Peyton got home about that time and I left for my OB appointment.
poor little sick girl!

I really don't have much to report; things looked good and it was a short visit. I read a chapter for Bible study in Twelve Extraordinary Women and then several in Sabbath, as well. One thing I do love about these appointments is how much I get to read! I went by Target on the way home and picked up Pedialite, some wrapping paper, and a soap dispenser for the kitchen (we've just been buying plastic bottles of hand soap). When I got home, AP had just gone down for her nap and I made myself a turkey melt (with raw broccoli as a side, yay for being healthy!) and started some laundry. I got on the computer for a few minutes and then took a nap myself. I woke up when Annie did and we went outside and played in the yard while Peyton washed the cars, since it was so warm.
[wearing Summer pjs; it was was warm! By the way, for some reason, this picture reminds me of pictures of my parents from when they first got married in the '70s. I think it's the weird lighting.]

I came in and did a sink full of dishes and got ready for Bible study. Peyton kept Annie and she was asleep when I got home. I read blogs and Peyton grilled burgers and then we ate dinner and talked. The kitchen sink started leaking and so I cleaned out everything under it and cleaned up the laundry room, so I'd have a place to put it all. I straightened the house and went to bed.

Getting up for MDO on Thursday was kind of hard, not gonna lie. Peyton was keeping Annie at home, though, since she had fever Wednesday night, so that made getting ready a little easier. It was my first day without Kellie and we missed her, but the sub that's filling in all month is really great. I stayed through lunch and when I got home Peyton and I talked a few minutes and then Annie woke up from her nap. He is super sweet and apologized for putting her down early, but she was tired and honestly, he needed the break- he had been up since 7:00 and had an eight hour shift at work ahead of him. After he left, Annie and I had a relaxing afternoon. She was still really clingy, so I wasn't able to do much. Truth be told, I was so tired I probably wouldn't have done much anyway. I did get a few loads of laundry folded and put up a bunch in Annie's room. I kind of organized some of her books in her closet and we did a lot of snuggling and reading. My sister called and since she was going out of town this weekend, she wanted to see Ann Peyton. We decided she was well enough and after I cleaned up her room, we headed over there. I ended up taking a little nap at my parents' house and then we ate supper with them. I put Annie to bed as soon as we got home.
Could she love MonkMonk and her books any more?

I got on the computer and (finally) ordered my flat iron and then straightened up in the most minimal sense. There were still dishes in the sink, piles of stuff to be delivered to various rooms of the house, and laundry to fold, but at least things looked neater. I started to read my Bible, but I was just too tired to concentrate. I woke up a little later after Peyton got home and we had a nice chat and then I went back to sleep.

Ann Peyton woke up around 7:30 on Friday and she laid in bed with us for a little while. I got up with her and took her in the den and we read books for half an hour or so. When Peyton got up, I went back to bed for about an hour. When I got up for the second time, they had made cookies together because they saw how to do it on Sesame Street. That is the difference between me and Peyton- I would make a mental (or probably actually a physical) note to make them later; he just gets an idea and does it! After I took my bath I realized that the kitchen was a DISASTER! There was cookie goo on the floor, her high chair try was gross from breakfast, the sink was overflowing with dishes, and tools from where he had been working under the sink were all over the floor, plus there were more dirty dishes scattered around the kitchen. I tried not to be too upset because Peyton was so sweet to get up with her and entertain her all morning, but again, we're so different- I cannot leave the kitchen like that for any length of time; it just disgusts me. I was pretty much a hormonal wreck and told him that "no wonder Annie has diarrhea when you leave food on her high chair all morning- it's UNSANITARY!"

He helped me clean up a little, enough that I could have a peace about it (ha!) and then we took Annie outside to play. We ended up going for a little walk without the stroller; she just held our hands. I told Peyton how I was feeling and I think the sunshine was good for me. He could tell I was SO tired and he said "You're just ready to have this baby aren't you?". What a question! Physically, yes, I'm ready for it to be here, but mentally I feel like I've got so much to do in the next two months. I told him about how I felt the night before- I just didn't have the motivation to do anything- even things that relax me and that I like to do. I couldn't even blog or read blogs or eat a snack and watch TV. Someone asked me in my SD's Answers posts if I had ever experienced depression in addition to anxiety. It's really never been a big struggle for me, but when I feel like that it's as close as I've come to imagining what someone with true clinical depression feels like. It's not like I'm sad about anything in particular; I just feel a total lack of control over my emotions and very little motivation to do anything. And those feelings are so hard for me to deal with. It's very much a cycle- when I'm exhausted I get stressed and when I get stressed out it makes me more tired. I'm so glad Peyton is so understanding and encouraging.

When we got home, I fed AP lunch (which she hardly touched) and straightened up the bedrooms and study so Peyton could vacuum really quickly. He's so much faster than me and up until Friday I think he thought I was just inefficient. It's actually because he doesn't move all the furniture or use the suction tools. He did vacuum out the sofa, though, and I put the slipcover back on the pillow that I had cleaned on Wednesday (I had let the cover air dry). I put Annie down for her nap and Peyton and I discussed every.single.thing we had planned for the next week, which made me feel a lot better. I feel so much more secure when I have a plan! I got on the computer and caught up on blogs a little and wrote two posts for the day. Then I Facebook messaged my sister in law (a pretty extensive message involving doulas, baby clothes, and several other things) and ate lunch. AP had taken a long time to go to sleep and she woke up sooner than I anticipated, but she played a little before she was ready to get out and I quickly wrapped a birthday present and a little hostess gift to send to Evy/Ashley. They were both a little overdue and I wanted to get them out before the long weekend, so we headed to the post office right at 5:00, because Annie had a little meltdown over a book or something and it took longer than I expected to get out the door.
When we got home, I folded and put up laundry and Ann Peyton played and then I fed her supper and unloaded and reloaded dishes and cleaned up the kitchen. I also put fresh sheets on her bed and washed her sheets and ours. I gave her a bath and folded more laundry (in the bathroom, ha!) while she was playing in the tub. I cleaned up her room and did her nighttime routine and put her to sleep and then straightened the house and read blogs. I cooked supper- sloppy joes, sweet potato fries, and baked beans- and Peyton and I ate and visited and then I put the sheets back on our bed and straightened the house. I read my Bible and the introduction in The Doula Guide to Birth: Secrets Every Pregnant Woman Should Know and went to bed. I was up every half hour to hour for some reason.

Fortunately, Ann Peyton slept until 8:00 Saturday morning. Not the best, but better than usual! Peyton got ready for work and we lounged around and read books on the couch for about thirty minutes, but then I got busy. I started laundry, folded some laundry, and put all the small appliances back in the cabinet under the sink. I got it nice and organized and then I unloaded the dishes from the night before while AP had breakfast. I was about to hop in the tub, when my friend, Swayze, texted me saying she had some baby stuff for us and she was on her way to a party in our neighborhood in about half an hour. I took a SUPER quick bath, which worked out well because Annie was not as entertained in the guest bathroom (I Lysoled our tub after she was sick, but I still feel the need to "deep clean" it with a brush and stuff before I take a bath in it). She had a pair of my shoes and I was sure they'd end up in the tub. I got my hair dried pretty quickly and Swayze stopped by. We had a short little visit and then we finished getting ready and headed to the grocery store. It was a pretty quick trip and when we got home, I fed Ann Peyton lunch while I unloaded groceries. [I almost always time trips around meal time because it keeps her contained while I'm going in and out of the house. Of course, the drawback was when she saw me put half and half in the cart at the store and started crying and saying "milk".] After lunch, she took a nap. I read some blogs and articles and then had lunch and watched The Good Wife and folded laundry. Then I scrubbed the kitchen counters and swept and mopped the floors in the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room, and sunroom. I needed to really get some cleaning done because we were having company for dinner on Sunday. Annie woke up while I was in the middle of it, but she talked to MonkMonk and played in her crib for awhile.

I got her up and fed her a little snack and did some more laundry and dishes and then got ready and dropped her off at the in laws. I met Peyton back at home and we headed to meeting of the philosophy club that my friend, Mallory, started. One thing I love about Mallory is that she's always orchestrating these intellectual type meetings, but she's really down to earth and makes you feel so comfortable. Anyway, Saturday night's topic was Catholicism vs. Protestantism and so of course, being a former Catholic, Peyton was really interested in attending. It was about ten people and an even split. It was much more of a discussion than a debate and was very interesting. We talked about the role of tradition vs. Scripture, the reason for having (or not having) absolution (or confession), and several doctrines about Mary and the saints. We picked up Annie, made a quick stop by Walgreens and put her to bed when we got home.
We had to have a little photo op because she was wearing some Peter Rabbit pjs that used to be mine. I'll definitely do a whole picture post soon. I love that she's wearing pjs in almost all the pics this week. That's just what you do when you're sick. And it's what your Momma does when you're sick, too! (Sorry, no pictures of that!)

I read a few blogs, surfed eBay and then got back to work. I put AP's tub toys in the dishwasher and the ones that can't go in it like tub books I cleaned with alcohol and a wipe. I usually do this when I clean the bathroom, because those things can mildew pretty fast if you let them. Then, I marinated the brisket for Sunday night, and and ate some oatmeal. I read my Bible and went to bed.

We got up early this (Sunday) morning so we could make it to the early service and suprisingly, we were actually a little early! Peyton had to go to work, so I went to Sunday School by myself. We're still doing a study on the Holy Spirit, Forgotten God, and this week we talked about how we need the Holy Spirit's direction when we "spoke truth in love" to one another. It was interesting, because really I've never had an experience where I've confronted anyone from church about a sin and no one has done that with me. I do think it would be great if I had friends from church that I did that with, though.

I fed Ann Peyton lunch when we got home and started some laundry and unloaded dishes. My mom came over to bring a dessert that she didn't end up needing for her company on Friday night and I started the brisket cooking. She helped me go through AP's big closet and find a few things that still look "seasonally appropriate" now that it's so warm. Most of her clothes are either flannel or cordury or they're a white sleeveless bubble. Ha! I put Annie down for her nap after my mom left and I uploaded and edited pictures and worked on this post and then I ate lunch myself and cleaned the bathrooms. After that, I straightened up all the little piles around the house and then Annie woke up. She had a snack and I dusted in the bedrooms and the study and swept the living room and arranged the table.

This is what our table looks like when the leaves are folded out. I really like that it serves as a little decorative table behind our sofa most of the time, but can become a true dining room table when we need one!

I got myself ready and ended up having about thirty minutes before everyone got here, so I put up the two baskets of laundry I had folded while Ann Peyton played on our bed.

The Rambos, a couple Peyton knew from when he took seminary classes, and their two little boys and our friends, the Roberts and their little girl came over. The Rambos are in the process of raising support to be full time missionaries in Uganda. It was so neat talking to them about it and it's definitely a ministry we're planning on contributing to! Dinner turned out great (we had brisket, salad, rolls, some potatoes Morgan made, and the tart my mom sent over) and we had such a good time visiting and watching the kiddos play.
daddies and babies

mommas and babies

Annie did get super upset when we were all holding hands to pray. She didn't want to hold hands and everyone was looking at her and she got really embarrassed. She's gotten to where she gets embarrassed like that more easily. Otherwise, it was a great time! Everyone helped clean up toys and Morgan helped with dishes and after everyone left we put Annie to bed and finished cleaning up. I'm probably going to hit the hay soon!

Reading back over this as I always do before I publish, I realized I did have more of a productive week than I thought I did. I don't know why I got so overwhelmed on Friday! Next week is going to be pretty busy- another sale, some tutoring and subbing, and then just the normal, weekly stuff. I took off Tuesday from MDO and realized later I didn't need to, but I'm excited because it's Peyton's day off, too! I hope we get a lot done AND relax and enjoy the day!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

My house is always nasty and I definitely feel like I can't keep up. With a dog and two males here it seems like I can't win. Now that Simeon is interested in helping me it is a little easier.

Amy said...

The stomach bug is for the birds - ugh! Libbi is still not fully recovered. She never threw up, but had the "other issue" and still does (her ped. said it could last up to two weeks!) and you are 100% right, the laundry is ridic! I'm just now starting to feel like I'm catching up.....

I feel the same way as far as not having motivation, but knowing there are so many things I need/want to do. I think I am having even more anxiety since we don't know what this baby is....it's making me feel like I can't accomplish half of the things I want to (even though I really don't want to do anything). It's such a double edged sword, because I am so tired and just want to sleep or lie down, but then when I do, I feel guilty that I'm not doing something more productive.

And, if it makes you feel any better, we spent almost every day last week in our PJ's, too. That IS absolutely what you're supposed to do when you're sick! :) Glad AP is feeling better - hope the rest of y'all stay well, too!

Courtney said...

Hope AP is feeling better. I have been sick and in my pj's since last Wednesday, sorry no pics I don't look as cute as she does in her pj's. Hope everyone else stays healthy.

Mallory Pickering said...

I've been out of town and am just now catching up on your posts.

1) The pic of AP outside reminded me of an old pic too. I thought of that before I read your caption. It's really cool!

2) Thanks for calling me "down-to-earth." That's a good compliment!

Anonymous said...

Moving style. I want to be able to write that way.
Tapety na pulpit
Tapety