Thursday, March 24, 2011

Picture Post: A Day at the Museum (01.11.11)

We have SO much we're trying to "beat the clock" to get done before Graves arrives, but I wanted to post something tonight and I saw this post in my drafts folder and realized that I had never shared pictures from our trip to the Mississippi Children's Museum a few months back.

I think the museum is super fun and there is SO much to do. The ladies of the Junior League of Jackson really worked hard in their contribution to making this happen and it is still partially staffed by volunteers from the League. I was surprised at how many things there were that were age appropriate for a toddler. My mother in law gave us a year's membership for Christmas this year, but I think the admission is $8. I'd say it's well worth it!

First, we took Ann Peyton to play in this big tractor thing.
She had fun "driving" it...

...and loading it up with balls (they shot out another part of the vehicle).

Then we headed over to the water station.
She turned the steering wheel which made the big fish move and they also had magnetic poles to catch magnetic (very realistic looking) catfish.

There was one area where you could pretend to uncover fossils.
[The stuff in there is little rubbery pebbles, so you can't get hurt and it's not too messy.]

AP LOVED the great big kitchen...

...and going to the "farmer's market"!
There was a whole library type section that was named "Between the Lions", which is reading show on PBS that is actually Mississippi based!
Annie (and Papa) loved the dressing up part!

There was also a whole huge area that was devoted to Mississippi heritage and culture. That was probably my favorite part ;) As you can see, the museum is full of lots of things indigenous to Mississippi (catfish, Between the Lions, the farm equipment, ect.).
Annie sliding down a Mississippi hill!

Here she is driving a river boat a la Mark Twain.

This little setup was supposed to simulate some kind of factory work, I think.

And here she is in a Native American teepee.

There was so much more that I didn't take pictures of and even more that we didn't even get to explore. We'll definitely be back!

6 comments:

Holly Rutchik said...

How fun! I feel like we are doing the same thing - trying to get all this stuff in before baby comes. It's kind of sterssful!
That pic of your little girl in the chef hat is so cute! How blessed you are.

Emily said...

We went a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it! I think we are going to go ahead and buy a membership, too!

Nathalie said...

What a great place! I wish we had something like that here!

Margaret said...

That last thing was a rock quarry! My kids are obsessed with it every time we go.
She's such a cutie!

Mallory Pickering said...

This is precious!

Sarah Broadus said...

we love it too! we were there for 4 hours! BUT everytime I look at someone's pictures I find new stuff that we didn't do!?!? Another triP!