Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March Happenings

***So, I had most of this post typed out and ready to publish, but I was going to wait until tomorrow since I already had Annie's monthly post to do tonight. WELL....it looks like things have changed a bit for us for the month of March. I'll tell y'all about that first and then I'll share what I was planning for this month along with some edits (in bold).***

I decided a long with changing up my blog, I wanted to do a sort of Monthly Happenings post at the beginning of each month. I know I share a lot in my Weekly Happenings posts, but I always love doing random "Holiday Happenings" or whatever type posts. For one thing, it keeps my WH posts from being as crazy long and it's good because I get to share little tidbits as opposed to a play by play of each day. I guess I blog differently from a lot of people, because I rarely just blog about our life during the week. My posts just tend to be more thematic, I guess? Anyway, all that to say I'm going to start doing a little "preview" I guess at the beginning of each month, just to share what is going on with us.

*Okay, here is the "new" news: I went to my regular thirty four weeks appointment today. I was talking to my friend, Kellie, on the way there and I told her how I was feeling some pain and a lot of pressure and I felt like Graves had dropped SO low. I told her that I kind of wanted to ask Dr. McMinn to check me, but I felt stupid asking her to. Kellie told me that I should and it wouldn't be any big deal, so when I got there I told her that knew I was probably the first patient to ever ASK her to be checked, but I just really wanted her to just tell me that I wasn't going to go into labor tomorrow because I kind of felt like I was.

Well, it's a good thing I asked her because I was a centimeter dilated and about 70% effaced. She hooked me up to a monitor and did an ultrasound. The ultrasound revealed that Graves weighs five pounds and ten ounces at this point, which is almost as much as AP weighed when she was born at thirty nine weeks (she was five pounds, fifteen ounces) and I think he's just running out of room! When they hooked me up to the monitor it picked up several irregular contractions. Dr. McMinn sent me downstairs to labor and delivery and I had to get an IV (just fluids) and be monitored some more. I didn't have any more contractions so they sent me home. I'm so glad I didn't have to stay overnight, which she had said I might.

She also put me on bedrest for the next two weeks. I'm thankful I'm this far, but the nurse did say "lazy little white boys" did better if they could make it to thirty six weeks. Anyway, I said to Dr. McMinn "So, I guess I should stop working and um take it easy?" and she said "Um, I guess you'll need to get some help with Ann Peyton and stay horizontal as much as possible". She's a sarcastic soul, but I love her. Basically, I can go to the bathroom, shower, and fix meals for myself. Woah.*

And here's the old stuff:

- Well, first of all, the thing that sticks out the most about the month of March in my mind is that it is our last full month without Graves. Like most moms in my position (I would suspect), I have mixed feelings about it. I am SO ready to not be pregnant and even more ready to meet our sweet baby. I miss Annie's newborn days and I'm so thankful to have the chance to have a tiny baby again. At the same time, I love our little family of three. It's hard to think of Ann Peyton not being "the baby" anymore, although I know she will always be our baby. This is super melodramatic, but in a way, it's the end of an era. And, clearly, it might be ending sooner than we thought.

- Which brings me to all the stuff that is going on regarding Graves himself. After this week's appointment, I'll go back in two weeks and then I'll start my weekly appointments (actually those start now). I can't believe we're almost at that stage. Our Sunday School class is having a shower for us on Saturday and we're meeting with a doula on Friday Fortunately, the meeting Friday is at our house and our SS class offered to just have the shower here as long as Peyton promised to do all the dusting. So sweet! Things are really starting to pick up!

- Speaking of a doula, I've been reading, reading, reading and talking to people who've had successful natural births. There's a lot of educating to do in the next six weeks! Obviously, I'll have more time for that!

- In the midst of everything else, I'm basically continuing working the same amount until April- Mother's Day Out, tutoring once or twice a week, and subbing about twice a month. I'm probably not going to commit to any subbing once April gets here, because it is pretty tiring and also because I just don't want to have people counting on me that close. I'm sure I'll keep up my little tutoring gig (in fact, I'm hoping to keep it up until the end of the school year) and I'll reassess with MDO around the end of the month. I'm thinking I'm just going to work up there until I reach my due date or go into labor! Or not.

- Nursery Update: We've still got to paint the trim on the armoire and put in the fabric and Peyton has to install a bar. Once we do that, I think we'll be able to make some headway on the nursery. [Peyton and my mom and Cookie are going to help me with this one.] I'm really insisting that be done in the next week because....

- we're transitioning Annie to the big girl bed and I want at least a month to do it. Graves will actually be in our room at first, but I don't want her to think he's stealing her crib and I think it will just be less of a hassle if she has less transition all at once. Which is why I've totally left potty training alone for now, even though a bunch of the kids in her class at MDO and her BFF are doing it and I'm tempted to try. We'll see what happens with the bed, I'm not starting anything like that until I hit week thirty six, though.

- I have a plan for Ann Peyton's birthday party and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm going to try to keep it low key, but I really enjoyed having a "theme" last year, so we're doing that again. It's going to be a bring your baby doll (or baby brother) tea party and I think it will be so much fun. I think it's a great way to celebrate her and incorporate the excitement of a new baby!

- I feel like I have kind of started "nesting" in high gear. At least Peyton feels that way! I just want things around the house to be organized and ready when the baby gets here. Which is a dream at this point.

- I guess I'm coming right back to where I started, but more than anything I just feel the need to make this month meaningful. There is a lot to do, but in the last few weeks I feel like Peyton and I have talked more than we have in a long time and I feel like we've spent time just being- with each other and with Annie. I think all these transitions will be so much easier if we have that foundation of just making sure we take time to relax and enjoy each other and focus on the most important things- our family and our faith. Fortunately, this last one doesn't have to change at all and it's the most important. I'm going to have to pray a lot to keep that in perspective, though.

- We are SO, SO blessed in that both our families live in town and Peyton has been able to arrange his schedule a little and Annie is type of child that I don't think I'll need constant help with. I think the hardest part of this will be not driving myself crazy stressing out over everything that I need to get done and not loosing my mind being trapped in our house for two weeks. I'm going to channel my sweet home-body friend, Ashley, and do my best to enjoy these days. It's pretty ironic, because laying on the couch was basically all I did when I was pregnant the first time and it was a MUCH easier pregnancy. I've changed so much! It's no wonder Peyton thought I was lazy and our marriage suffered.

Happy March!

6 comments:

Cuddles and Chaos said...

Please take it easy. Everything that absolutely needs done will get done for Graves' arrival but not by you doing it. And I know your doctor said 36 weeks...but if you could please do 37 weeks. Boys do have more issues with lung development and my bestie had her second son at 36 weeks 4 days (or 5 days) and he was in the NICU for lungs (at 10 lbs)...granted some was likely from the c-section but ever since then 37 weeks sounds better to me. My first little guy tried to come out at 33 weeks (some days) so I know what fun bedrest is like when you're not used to being on the couch. If you need books, etc let me know.

Christi

Amy W. said...

I have never commented on your blog before, but I have stopped by several times (via Ashley's blog). I have come by a few times over the past few weeks to see what you have decided about whether to have a natural birth or not. I am very passionate about natural birth (and have had 2 myself, hopefully a third here in the next few weeks), so it piqued my interest :) By the way, if you are wanting to have a natural birth in the hospital I would *HIGHLY* recommend having a doula so I am so glad to hear that you are meeting with one.

I wanted to comment after reading about the current happenings in your pregnancy. Hopefully just an encouragement to you: with my second child I was fully effaced and 5cm dilated at 34 weeks. It sounds crazy, I know, but some women just dilate early and it isn't necessarily something to worry about. I'm not saying don't take it easy, just not to worry! My son was born 4 weeks later at 38 weeks (and after TEN nights of painful contractions that lasted for a few hours, then stopped. FINALLY went into labor for real on a Sunday morning and he was born less than 90 minutes later!).

Also, third trimester ultrasounds can be off by 2 pounds either way on their weight predictions so I wouldn't be too concerned over his *estimated* weight either. My second son, mentioned above, was actually pretty large for his gestational age- 8lbs. 14oz. at 38 weeks, but he was also quite long- 22 inches- so he was actually very proportional and it ended up being a much easier birth than I had with my first son who weighed over a pound less.

Well I probably shouldn't keep rambling on and on here. I know that you don't really know me, but if you would like any more input about natural birth or have any questions or would like to read my birth stories please feel free to email me: amosobadiah (at) msn (dot) com

May God bless you in the remainder of your pregnancy and bring about a healthy little boy when the time is right!

Amy

Sarah Broadus said...

as a bedrest guru (months of doing nothing but eating oreos and watching golden girls reruns. I will tell you it will go by SUPER FAST. =) Grab a bag of oreos and some crazy old women and you will do just fine.

Nathalie said...

Take it easy Sarah Denley! Bed rest sounds tough, but try to enjoy your last few weeks of rest before Graves arrives. Wishing you all the best with the birth and baby's arrival!

Amy said...

WHAT?!?!?!
Totally not what i was expecting to read today!! glad to know you're okay and graves is okay. hang in there and enjoy the extra rest while you can (and make everyone wait on you hand and foot...there's only so many times in a girl's life you can do that...take full advantage!! - haha!)

and, i know this is not a laughing matter, but your bolded add-in's to this post had me laughing out loud - it was just so unexpected and matter-of-fact. glad to know you can keep your sense of humor about the whole thing.

and on another note.... i agree with the other commenter that said ultrasound weights can be off in the 3rd trimester. they estimated libbi to weigh waaaaay more than she did (don't get me wrong, she was 8lbs 14 oz at 37.5 weeks - but they were expecting larger). thankfully HE is in control and HE already knows the exact day/hour/minute graves will be born and his perfect weight down to the very last ounce! praying for you (and the rest of your family!!) during these next few weeks!
xoxo

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Thinking of you! I am a planner too so I know this must be hard but try to enjoy the good parts of bed rest. Graves will be here before you know it.