Monday, March 7, 2011

Name Significance

I've been looking through my gazillion drafts and decided that now would be a good time to try to turn some of those into published posts. The unfortunate thing is that quite a few of them need pictures to accompany them and I'm really trying to limit my time spent at the desktop, where all our pictures are (most days I haven't even really used it). Anyway, this is a post I meant to write a long while back. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Choosing Ann Peyton's name was really the easiest thing in the world. In fact, I think I've mentioned it before, but we had a girl name picked before we even got MARRIED. I just loved the name and Peyton did, too. Interestingly enough, when I got pregnant this time, we pretty much had a girl name lined up and ready to go.
For some reason, boy names are just harder for me. Originally (like back to our dating days again), we did have a boy name that we were pretty set on. If we had a little boy we were going to name him "Jackson", which is my mom's maiden name. I really liked it, for one thing, because I LOVE the name "Jack" and I wanted him to have a cute diminutive like our "Annie" does. But the more we thought on it, the more we just didn't feel settled. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we know several little boys (like under three) that are named Jackson or Jack. It's not like we dislike any of these families, but at the same time, we aren't really close enough to them that it would be "stealing" their name. I just think we both wanted something that was a little more ours, a little more his.
We toyed around with a few ideas, but, ultimately, I think we both really wanted it to be a family name. We just adore Peyton's grandparents and we really wanted to find a way to honor them. Neither of us really felt like Peyton's grandfather's name (Clarence Lamar) was a fit, but we kind of stopped when we thought of his grandmother's maiden name- Graves.
I was a little hesitant at first, mainly because my mom told me that it reminded her of a cemetery. Since y'all don't all know my mom, you have to know that she wasn't being mean. I explained to a friend just today that my mom is A LOT like me in that she just kind of tells you (well, me and Cookie, at least) whatever she is thinking. We're just not the type of people to mince words and although I don't think she expects me to do anything with her opinion, she likes putting it out there ;)
After talking it over with some other people, and after Momma finally came around, we decided it was the name. Then we decided to use Jackson for the middle name. I really like that it has a different sort of feel to it without being too "out there". Several people mentioned that they thought it seemed like a very Southern name and although I honestly really never considered that (I really don't know what made people make that association) I guess I can kind of see it and am (of course!) thrilled over it. The main thing I like, though, is that his name, much like Ann Peyton's, incorporates the names of very significant people in our our lives- specifically, in this case, two of our grandmothers.
As I said, Graves was Granny's maiden name and Jackson was the married name of my maternal grandmother, "Bump", who was so very dear to me. It was very important to us to be able to honor both these amazing women and play a small part in contributing to their legacy. Granny is, and Bump was, such a wonderful example. They have both been so inspirational to us in their strength, character, and faith. We both look so forward to the day when we will share with our son his wonderful heritage and the blessing that his namesakes were to us.

2 comments:

Amy said...

love it!! funny....before we were married we had picked out the name "jackson" for our boy name, too. we were just sure that we were going to have a jackson. when we got pregnant with libbi (and before we knew she was a girl) i changed my mind. for many similar reasons as yours - we knew a few friends with a jackson, and i was working with two girls at the time that were having jackson's. fortunately, we didn't have to worry about it anyway since we ended up having a girl. jeffrey would still use the name jackson to this day if i would agree on it (but i won't) ;0)
i love the name graves and love it even more since it has so much significance behind it. the names that we've picked out for baby #2 are family names, too!

Anonymous said...

I Love the name Graves...think it is absolutely precious and a great grown-up name too. In fact, I would have considered it for my son (whose 1.5 now), but it doesn't go with our last name at all!