Friday, March 11, 2011

Weekly Smorgasbord

So, I came up with a title. I decided since this is always such a hodgepodge of topics, "Smorgasbord" would be a perfect fit! Enjoy!




The High Cost of Stay At Home Motherhood | Strollerderby

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 01:09 PM PST

- "...having a child costs the average college-educated woman a million dollars in lifetime income. Those tender afternoons at the playground may seem priceless, but is staying home with your kid really worth a million dollars?"
UM, YES, OR A BILLION. OR A TRILLION. [TO ME.]

- The woman quoted recently went through a divorce and thus is feeling very vulnerable financially. I'd say the problem in America is not just about how we undervalue mothers and have the wrong kind of healthcare and education systems as several commenters pointed out. I think a lot of it is that we don't value marriages and commitment.

- "A rational decision would be to earn the money and use some of it to overcome the disadvantages to the child. By paying for the best childcare, by providing tutors and therapists, whatever the appropriate tools were. That would be the economically efficient thing to do."
I'M SO GLAD OUR FAMILY DOES NOT BASE EVERYTHING ON WHAT IS ECONOMICALLY EFFICIENT. [By the article's end, the author does seem to admit that this is flawed logic.]

- I also really like how the second commenter boasts of all she does as a SAHM , up to and including "I also have sex with him [her husband] pretty much every day, so he is in peak physical condition, relaxed, happy and calm." Wow.

Pleasant View Schoolhouse: Socks

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 01:03 PM PST

I am NOT trying to rush things, but seriously a part of me cannot wait for the day when....CHAPTER BOOKS! I love me some Beverly Cleary and I just so, so hope Ann Peyton will continue to devour books the way she does now!

When You Can’t Do It All

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 01:02 PM PST

Well, this is like the most intimidating thing to me ever. Cooking scares me. However, I do think it would be neat if our family took steps toward eating more "real food" (I hate the arrogance of that term). Seriously, I'm not doing half the stuff Jo-Lynne suggests, but cutting out some of the (ton of) processed junk we eat would be a really good idea.

Do Pop Culture References Limit The Shelf Life Of TV Shows?

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 01:00 PM PST

Is it weird that I usually like analyzing TV more than watching it?

"Shopping Bulimia" Is The Latest Made-Up Disorder

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:59 PM PST

Yes, I would definitely agree with the writer that this is a "first world problem".

Can Computers Eliminate The Need For Traditional Therapy?

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:59 PM PST

My guess? Probably not.

Texas Gang Rape Coverage Continues To Appall

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:58 PM PST

Disgusting.

The Pizza Shack, a Jackson Favorite | Eat Jackson!

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:58 PM PST

"They'll soon pave paradise and put up a parking garage. "- hadta chuckle at that.

And also, that cheese pizza? I WANT IT. No joke, this place really is good and I'm ready to go back!

A Wise Woman Builds Her Home: Enrich Your Home

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:56 PM PST

A neat reminder of the many roles we fill in our homes!

How to Protect Your Time from Too Many Good Ideas

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:56 PM PST

Another great post from Small Notebook. I love the idea of "protecting our time" from good ideas!

Suburban Turmoil: Small Steps

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:55 PM PST

A challenge to take small steps to becoming a better mom- whatever that means for you.

Clover Lane: Questions To Ask Ourselves

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:53 PM PST

Maybe because it's Spring, but I've seen a lot of stuff about simplifying pop up in my Reader. I love it when I see a theme in different bloggers' posts and even more when it's one I really need to focus on. This one can be pretty convicting.

Small Notebook’s 3 Year Anniversary (and Giveaway of Simple Blogging)

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:52 PM PST

I love this blog because it's a lot about simplifying, which is something I struggle to do. The post that are linked to in this post are some really good ones!

Rocks In My Dryer: Mystery

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:51 PM PST

I thought this was a neat post and here's why: almost all the blogs I read are about families with young children. I think it's really fascinating to see how people blog about their experiences, relationships, and emotions as their children grow older. I think in one way it becomes more difficult because you have to consider their privacy more and I've often wondered how someone like myself especially, who is used to being really transparent, will change the way I blog to fit my children's season of life. Anyway, it's intriguing to me AND this is just the sweetest post!

A Handy Guide to Intellectually Dishonest Criticism | Elizabeth Esther

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 12:47 PM PST

There has been a lot of controversy going on in the blogosphere about a certain book that I have yet to (but cannot wait to) read. I thought this was a good guide on how NOT to criticize people.

85 Funny And/Or Ridiculous Vintage Computer Ads: Pics, Videos, Links, News

Posted: 10 Mar 2011 08:04 PM PST

Found these via BooMama and ohmigosh, hilarious.

Tips on Engaging in Honest Theological Dialogue | Parchment and Pen

Posted: 09 Mar 2011 06:28 PM PST

Really, REALLY, good advice, in my opinion!

Let me know if I overlooked anything!

1 comment:

Peyton said...

What? you hated pizza shack when we went. I'm gonna have to call you out on that one. Someone wasn't open enough to trying more than one menu item eh? :)