Friday, March 18, 2011

Weekly Smorgasbord

Here's this week's links:



Posted: 17 Mar 2011 08:12 PM PDT
Important advice about encouraging our children.
Posted: 17 Mar 2011 08:11 PM PDT
Ahh, the Easter cuteness!
Posted: 17 Mar 2011 08:11 PM PDT
Once again, our world is way too focused on money and financial gain. As Rita says, "there is more to life than money and our ability to earn it".
Posted: 17 Mar 2011 08:00 PM PDT
I love 1000 Awesome Things and I LOVE #287. Not trying to hurry things along, but wow, I can't imagine.
Posted: 17 Mar 2011 07:59 PM PDT
It's something we've talked about when we discuss the idea of homeschooling. As many commenters pointed out, however, most schools (public and private) offer a very homogeneous group for a child to interact with (same age, mostly the same economic class, ect.) and social interaction can be learned in a variety of settings.
Posted: 17 Mar 2011 07:56 PM PDT
This is just hilarious.
Posted: 17 Mar 2011 07:54 PM PDT
I really like this one. Kind of got me thinking (again) about my recent post on beauty. I do always want Ann Peyton to feel like a princess.
Posted: 17 Mar 2011 07:52 PM PDT
Have I told y'all that I love "A Deeper Story"? Great post about mommy judgment and how basically we all have to work at not doing it.
Posted: 17 Mar 2011 07:50 PM PDT
So, this was interesting. Not sure I agree, but it's an interesting concept. My understanding is that the writer is saying "All Universalists are Calvinists, but not all Calvanists are Universalists and Universalism is completely incompatible with Arminian theology". Which is really fascinating, because I would imagine that across the Wesleyan tradition there are far more Universalists than in a Reformed tradition. But, that's a guess, and may be based more on the United Methodist Church, anyway. [Again, our local church is pretty conservative, and thankfully, our preachers do not teach Universalism.] I think all this discussion is interesting and can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Rob Bell's book, even though, so far, I'm under the impression that a good part of it includes heretical teaching. I want to see for myself.
Let me know if you find anything else of interest!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I read the homeschooling article...I agree with most of the comments that kids can be more socialized when they are homeschooled because of the opportunities to interact with many different age groups, social classes, cultures, etc.

Kevin is reading Rob Bell's book and has actually been pretty surprised (in a good way) at what he's seen. I think he's about 2/3 of the way through it and he plans on doing a review. I'll try to remember to let you know as soon as he has it posted.