Thursday, April 28, 2011

Like Visiting an Old Friend


We went and saw Dr. Denney for Graves's two week check up yesterday and it was like a visit with an old friend. I've kind of missed having the close together check ups like we did when AP was a baby. That's how much I love our pediatrician!

Well, the little boy is growing like a weed! He has grown an inch and a half and put back on all his weight, plus gained a few ounces! In fact, as I said on Twitter yesterday, the day after turning two weeks old he weighed exactly one ounce less than his sister did the day after turning two MONTHS old! I'm pretty sure they'll be wearing the same size clothes soon! Here are his stats:
Height: 21.5 inches (77th percentile!!)
Weight: 8 pounds, 3 ounces (31st percentile)
Head Circumference: 13.94 inches (17th percentile)

Peyton went with me and we took Annie, too, partly because we just love family outings, but also because I wanted her to get to see Dr. Denney when she wasn't sick or needing a shot. It worked out well and she didn't freak out when she saw him for the first time in several visits. I guess she realized immediately that we weren't there for her!

After he checked Graves out (and told us a story about twin patients he used to have named Graves and McNeil who they called "Gravy" and "Mac and Cheese"), he told us about something he learned at a conference recently- you're not supposed to stretch a baby's legs out to swaddle them or it can hurt their hips. That seems so awkward to do anyway, to me. His daughter, Sue, had already told me that when she visited the other day, so she beat him to the punch, ha!

After that we discussed toddler discipline, when I could leave them in room together for a few seconds, and other multiple children issues. Doctor Denney is not only a superb, well seasoned pediatrician, but he's got three amazing children of his own (one of whom is, as I mentioned, a dear friend), so I trust his counsel doubly.

I probably say it after every appointment, but I am so thankful for this man. The ONE AND ONLY thing that was hard about Ann Peyton's first year of life was her weight gain issues. Dr. Denney was so cautious, but at the same time so encouraging of me doing what I wanted to do (breastfed exclusively for as long as possible). His is so kind and he takes his time with all his patients. If this means a longer wait, it is well worth it to me to see someone who cares about having a relationship with me and my child.

He mentioned toward the end of the visit that he had recently relinquished his duties of taking care of the business side of things and I just begged him not to retire any time soon. He said he had no plans of doing so, he said he had the best job in the world and that he planned to be in practice until he was at least seventy and he was sure he'd see Ann Peyton through high school. I hope he'll see all our children through high school!

No comments: