Sunday, May 1, 2011

Weekly Smorgasbord

This week's links...enjoy!





    Royal Wedding: The full text of the Bishop of London's sermon at the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton - hellomagazine.com

    I was really surprised at how deep and meaningful the message at the Royal Wedding was. I feel like too often, weddings are a lot of "fluff" and we really don't talk about the hard parts of marriage, which I think is important. Here are a few of my favorite lines:

    "In marriage we are seeking to bring one another into fuller life. It is of course very hard to wean ourselves away from self-centredness. And people can dream of doing such a thing but the hope should be fulfilled it is necessary a solemn decision that, whatever the difficulties, we are committed to the way of generous love."

    "As the reality of God has faded from so many lives in the West, there has been a corresponding inflation of expectations that personal relations alone will supply meaning and happiness in life.

    "This is to load our partner with too great a burden. We are all incomplete: we all need the love which is secure, rather than oppressive, we need mutual forgiveness, to thrive."

    Westboro Baptist Church Goes To Mississippi – And Loses

    Posted: 01 May 2011 12:43 PM PDT

    Rankin County's response to Westboro. Yes, I know they have rights and "we" sort of infringed on them, but in one way, I'm very proud of the people here.

    The Seminary Bubble - Jerry Bowyer - The Great Relearning - Forbes

    Posted: 01 May 2011 12:38 PM PDT

    I thought this article on the "seminary bubble" was fascinating.

    Urban Legends: The Preacher’s Edition : Kingdom People

    Posted: 01 May 2011 12:30 PM PDT

    some myths that (probably well meaning) preachers propagate.

    The 7 Habits of Reasonably Green People

    Posted: 01 May 2011 12:27 PM PDT

    Some interesting tips on how to cultivate a "greener" lifestyle.

    A word from Mr. Wesley: Holiness in singleness « MethodistThinker.com

    Posted: 01 May 2011 12:25 PM PDT

    Interesting words from John Wesley on singleness.

    "It is not possible to avoid all pleasure, and God does not require this. On the contrary, he "giveth us all things to enjoy" (1 Tim. 6:17), so we enjoy them to his glory. But I say avoid all pleasure that in anyway hinders you from enjoying him — yea, all such pleasure as does not prepare you for taking pleasure in God." -- strong words for a single or married Christian!

    Positive Discipline: The Toddler Years - Steady Mom

    Posted: 01 May 2011 12:15 PM PDT

    I thought this had some good ideas and it's something I'm really focused on right now. I don't agree with everything Megan says (for example, sometimes I think AP does need more detailed explanations of things and we don't spend enough time doing that), but it was thought provoking and gave me some good ideas!

    the littlest — Shop

    Posted: 01 May 2011 12:11 PM PDT

    My friend Allison shared this site with me. Y'all know I'm obsessed with all things vintage. LOVE.

    A Mother’s Prayer for Her Child By Tina Fey | Write In Color

    Posted: 01 May 2011 12:11 PM PDT

    Okay, read this with a WARNING. It has strong language and could be considered um, slightly sacrilegious. But I had to share. Because it's funny and witty. And SPOT ON.

    praisesongcruncher.pdf (application/pdf Object)

    Posted: 01 May 2011 12:07 PM PDT

    A little legalistic maybe, but an interesting concept- having a checklist for praise songs would keep you accountable in worship.

    This posting includes an audio/video/photo media file: Download Now

    Welcome to Attachment Parenting International

    Posted: 01 May 2011 12:05 PM PDT

    "What I'm talking about is a deep mutual understanding and knowledge...about empathy. Attachment forms when we take the time to really get to know our children, from their favorite games, to their persistent fears, to their most cherished expressions of our love for them. It happens when we allow ourselves to cross over into their world, into their shoes, to feel what they feel and to respect those feelings as being every bit as important as our own. Attachment parenting isn't about how often we take our children on outings, or how many minutes a day we spend reading to them, or even whether we use a stroller or a sling, cosleeper or crib. It's about being in tune with who they are and what they need. About placing a priority not just on their physical health, but their emotional health, and recognizing the importance that parenting has in reaching that goal."


    My sister in law sent me this article on "Attachment Parenting" and it was a description of the philosophy I had never heard. Too often, I think parents on both sides identify themselves with a philosophy based more on THINGS THEY DO than IDEAS THEY BELIEVE IN. This was the opposite.

    One of my friends, who I would NEVER think of as an attachment parent tends to emphasis the fact that she focuses more on her instincts and values and her own child's personal needs than on the latest "research".
    According to this article, it seems that she is one!

    There are plenty of attachment parenting activities that just don't work for our family, but one thing I love is the idea of really getting to "know" your children. As I've said, one of the neatest things to me about having kids is learning about their unique personalities. I also like the idea of not using a "once size fits all" method of parenting. Of course, there are plenty of areas that we won't compromise on, but I know that in some ways how we parent Graves will be different from how we parent Ann Peyton, because he is a different child.


    As always, point me in the direction of anything good I missed!

    1 comment:

    Ashley said...

    I haven't gotten to read all of the articles, but I did look at the attachment parenting one. I thought it was really interesting and quite accurate. I LOVE that the author said that being an attached parent is simply being connected. The reason I personally don't label myself as an AP is because of what the Mommy Culture has done to that label (meaning it has become about actions only). Even if I don't make all of those popular AP choices, I feel completely and totally connected to Evy. Great article!