Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Letter to (Twenty Five Month Old) Ann Peyton

Dear Ann Peyton,

This is the first time I've ever been late with your letter. I actually remembered the day after you turned twenty five months old. I know that nobody would fault me for this and that many people probably think I'm ridiculous for even still doing these monthly letters and pictures. It's important to me, though, and when I realized that I had missed it, I just got the sickest feeling in my stomach. I felt so guilty for forgetting such an important day.

Annie, you are so big! One of the other teachers at Mother's Day Out told me that she thought you had changed more than anyone this year. Your hair is so long and you finally feel heavy to us. Every day you become more a little girl. There is only a little sliver of baby left in you. It breaks my heart, but at the same time it makes me so proud. You are so independent and so smart and I love watching you learn new things every day. I cherish these days just as I cherished your baby days.

You are growing so much because you're such a good eater! You love to eat what we eat. You are much more interested in eating exactly what we are having than any kind of "kid food". It's so nice you are such a good eater!

You talk all the time and know SO many words. You repeat almost everything we say, so we have to be careful now! You say the funniest things. You have a little toy that plays music and says the name of shapes and you saw it the other day and said "hexagon!". You have a tub toy and it's a unicorn, but Papa calls it a pony, thus you have dubbed it "Unicorn Pony".

We are still working on you saying "Please", "Thank You", "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes Sir" and also now we're working on you apologizing when you do something wrong.

This month has been interesting with you. It's been challenging, frankly. For the first time ever, really, you have presented us with challenges. I know adjusting to a new baby has not been easy for you, but you have already shown us what a good big sister you can be. At first you did not want much to do with Graves and refused to touch him or get close to him. You really didn't like it when I needed to feed him and twice you even hit your baby brother. You've also started throwing a lot more fits. I am SO happy to tell you that you have really come around in the last week. You've started touching him a little, albeit apprehensively and you get excited when we go get him up from a nap together. You worry if you see his car seat and he's in another room asleep and you love to say "Baby Graves". Today, you held your baby brother for the first time!

Because of your behavior, we've had to get serious about discipline. We decided that you were old enough to understand the concept of time out, so we have stopped spanking you. Time out seems to be really effective for you and we can now just tell you to go to the time out corner and you go sit by yourself. You almost always cry and you stay there until Papa or I come to get you.

You are a very sensitive little girl, Annie. That can be hard at times, but I know you will have a stronger love for others and a greater capacity for empathy because of it. You and I feel things VERY deeply and it is a blessing and a curse. I hope I can help you focus on the blessing part of it.

It appears you may also have some of my OCD quirkiness. You are OBSESSED with buckling your high chair back after you get out of it and you have to have all your blankets ("cov-ees") on you each night. I'm hoping it won't be as much of an issue for you as it was for me.

I'm sure I've told you before, but to me watching your little personality form is one of the neatest things about having you in my life. I love seeing the things that are unique to you and I love trying to figure out how to best capitalize on your strengths and help you overcome your weaknesses. I love analyzing the ways you are like me and the ways you seem more like Papa. Mainly, I just love the process of getting to know you as an actual person with a personality all your own.

Love,
Momma (and Papa)

P.S. This month's outfit is a 12-18mo. Your brother is going to be in a bigger size than you soon!

No comments: