Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May Happenings



Um, let's see, before we get to the personal minutia that will fill the month, I have to talk about something else. As everyone knows, the first of May was a big day for our country. Peyton and I turned on the TV two nights ago and saw the news that Osama Bin Ladin was finally killed. Here are my feelings:
1. There is this whole big debate type thing going on all over my Twitter and Facebook newsfeeds and in my Reader- As Christians, should we are should we not be celebrating the death of a man, who realistically is almost certainly spending the rest of eternity in hell? The theological discussions make the mommy war conflicts I'm used to witnessing seem so tame! Peyton and I talked about it and he said that he thought it was understandable to feel relief (and I'd even add to that happiness that justice was served), but big celebrations are kind of inappropriate. I guess I agree.
2. Wanna know what's also really inappropriate? The things some people say about the leader of our nation. NOW, I personally am not a fan, but some of the things I've seen are downright disrespectful. I'm not talking about saying if you think he's doing a good or bad job; I'm talking about blatantly insulting remarks. It really upsets me.
3. Last thing- one of the announcers on TV last night said that we would always remember what we were doing when we heard the news. Peyton and I just looked at each other and burst out laughing. Um, doing a Summer closet changeover and putting up a week's worth of laundry while watching Kid #2 snore in Kid #1's pink bouncy seat. Kinda typical.

Okay, onto what's on the agenda for the rest of May:
- Peyton's birthday was yesterday. We celebrated by making him a card, FINALLY taking a few pics of the children together, going for a walk and enjoying our well stocked fridge, courtesy of our Sunday School class and my mother in law.

- My birthday is the fourteenth and we are actually doing something that night, although it just happened to line up that way. We're going to see Better Than Ezra, which if you know our story, we had our first real "connection" outside the pool at a Better Than Ezra concert. I'm sure I'll cry it will be so nostalgic.

- Speaking of outings, I plan to make my first attempt (this go round) with the literal device of suckage- my breast pump. I've left Graves twice so far, and they were really short outings, and I'd like the pressure to be home quickly to be off for the next one. With Ann Peyton, I had to nurse her on one side and pump on the other; it was just the only way it worked. I'm hoping my body works differently this time because that was inconvenient and awkward at best.

- In the area of other ambitious plans, I have not even taken AP's panties out of the package. We're going slow with potty training and I feel like we have plenty of time (my goal is to have her traveling, sleeping, ect. in big girl panties by the the end of summer). We'll see.

- Annie has kind of gone back to her old self and I'm hoping that continues. I'll be doing a full discipline post soon.

- As I mentioned in my Weekly Happenings post, I'm going to try to start back with my cleaning/cooking/and activities schedule. What the cleaning and cooking schedules entail is probably obvious. The activities schedule is simply a plan for devoting certain days to specific activities- last summer it was the yard, finances, crafting, and organizing. I feel like I still haven't totally lost my nesting urge and I want to capitalize on that.

- One big project I'm going to try to accomplish this month is my twice yearly closet changeover. It was a big feat with one child, so I'm expecting it to take the month ;)

- At the end of the month, I have my six week follow up visit to the OB. It's weird not to have weekly visits anymore; it was (strangely) one of the things I've enjoyed most about both pregnancies.

- Peyton really wants me to start running with him some and actually do a 5k (which after that super empowering labor experience, I might be confident enough to try), but I told him I was waiting for the six week visit and also for Graves to start CONSISTENTLY sleeping four hour stretches at night before I put that stress on my body.

- This is further out on the horizon, but Peyton has to go on a work trip to the beach in June and we've been tossing around the idea of all going. I'm not sure it's a good idea to go without a "helper" and my sister, who I really wanted to go, will still be in school. I guess we'll just see.

I think that's it. I'm so glad things are starting to feel "normal" and I'm really settling into a routine. I can't wait to see what unexpected adventures May holds for our family!

3 comments:

Amy said...

totally agree with all your points about obl.....and i'm ashamed to admit that i was watching an episode of "watch what happens live" on bravo and heard the news from andy cohen first - ha! :)

Sarah Broadus said...

I feel the same with you-on it all. I normally don't blog politics but I have one written in my journal that might make an appearance. and closet change over-i feel ya-we are playing ring around the rooms right now-everything is so unorganized its AWFUL!

Katie said...

Are you going to be at the BTE show here in Jackson tomorrow?!