Thursday, June 2, 2011

Letter to (Twenty Six Month Old) Ann Peyton

Dear Ann Peyton,

You are twenty six months old and oh so precious.  You are funny, and sweet, and delightful.  Except when you're not.  And then you are really not.  Fortunately that's not the case most of the time, but the terrible twos have certainly arrived.  I shouldn't call them terrible.  Nothing about your presence in our lives could be terrible.  Trying, maybe?  Yes, that's better.  These are trying days, Annie.  But they are still beautiful days.  The best days of my life.   

You are growing so fast and I can't wait to see how much you weight this month when we (finally) take you in for your two month old check up.  I know you're still tiny compared to most kids your are, but Papa and I and your grandparents are all amazed at how HEAVY you've gotten.  Of course, Aunt Elizabeth and Uncle Daniel are amazed at how light you are compared to your cousin, Simeon! You've gotten a little more picky about what you eat, espesially in the last few weeks.  I think partly, you're trying to stay hydrated and you're filling up on fluids.  Some things that are always a hit- blueberries, goldfish, pizza, and cheese.  I know; you're so healthy these days ;) You do eat veggies pretty good, though; you love okra, tomatoes,and fresh broccoli with Ranch dressing. You also love Mickey's chili and red beans and rice.

You are doing great in your big girl bed and nap time and bed time are rarely a fight.  You have waken up a couple of times at night SCREAMING and I think you've just had a bad dream.  If we put you in bed with us, you snuggled a little but then usually want to get back in your own bed.  You are VERY possessive of your bed- you say "Papa OUT!" if your Papa tries to snuggle with you for too long.  You love reading books in your bed and now you've figured out how to get in it and if we get home from somewhere late and I'm taking care of Graves or putting things up, you'll go ahead and run and get in your bed.  The other night I was making it up and you hardly let me finish you wanted to get in so bad.  What a blessing! You are so funny about things; you always tell me "Fan OFF" if I forget to turn it off when you get up. 

We tried to start potty training, but accidents really didn't phase you, so I decided we'd just try again in a couple of months.  I'm not really too worried about it as this point.

You seem to love your brother more and more each day.  You talk about him and to him all the time.  Papa has come up with a new came where he "chases" you around with Baby Graves and you think it's hilarious.  Baby Graves also "talks" to you when Papa is home ;)  You get so sad when I put him in the Pack N Play to nap in our room; you'd much rather have him near you in his swing!  It's very sweet. Sometimes, though, you can be a bit of a bully...like tonight when you took off his sock and tried to bite his foot.  It breaks my heart, but I know I just have to accept that y'all will have little fights for the rest of your life.  Certainly me and Cookie did (and sometimes still do!).

You are very into pretending to be a mommy yourself.  You like to wash MonkMonk's hands and tuck your dollies in bed and sing to your stuffed animals.  You are so sweet and affectionate and I love that about you!

There are lots of rough days, though.  Sometimes you just want to whine and throw fits.  I know it's normal, though and I try not to let it bother me too much.  Sometimes, you just need to go to time out to "cool down", not just for punishment.  Sometimes, when you're mad and Graves is crying it's hard for me not to loose my temper, but I try my very best.  You deserve to be treated with respect and you deserve a mother who is calm and kind.  I'm a work in progress, though.

Annie, I love you so very much and I love my days with you.  I love watching you interact with your brother and watching you learn new things.  You are a beautiful little girl and you are so smart. More importantly, you are a kind child and we are so proud of you for so many things already.

Love,
Momma (and Papa)

P.S. Your outfit this month is an 18-24 mo.  You love the octopus on it!

 


2 comments:

The Taffs said...

Love her sweet little pigtails! And I love that you still take a picture/write a letter to her each month. I haven't decided how long to do that with my son. I'll probably just keep it up because I hate to stop!

The Jones' said...

Hey Sarah Denley, How do you do all of the pictures together like this? Your babies r so sweet and beautiful. Hope you are doing well! I know there are some frustrating days but this is a sweet season and one day you (and me) will miss them terribly : )