Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Two Months, Two Years, and Two Sets O' Shots

Last week Graves and Ann Peyton had their two month and two year check ups, respectivly.  I thought  I'd give their stats and the highlights of the appoinment:

Ann Peyton's stats:
Height: 33.75 in (36th percentile)
Weight: 23 lbs (4th percentile)
Head Circumference: 19.37 in (85th percentile)
BMI: 14.2 (4th percentile)

Graves's stats:
Height: 23 in (51st percentile)
Weight: 10 lb 7 oz (23rd percentile)
Head Circumference: 15.16 in (twentieth percentile)
BMI: 13.9 (<1 percentile)

So, Graves has slowed down a bit, but he's still much bigger than his sister was at his age (she weighed about what he did at four months and that was AFTER we had to start waking her up at night to fed her).  The big news with Ann Peyton's stats is how much taller she's gotten.  I kind of figured though because a lot of her outfits are getting too "short in the stride" as my mom would say.

We discussed a bunch of stuff.  First we talked about Graves- he's allowed to sleep up to eight hours at night and we're going to start trying to get him on more of a routine with two or three real naps a day.  We're also going to work on napping in the crib/Pack N Play rather than the swing and trying to go three rather than two hours between most feedings.  I'm not going to make him go hungry, though, of course!  We talked about him being "colicky" and Dr. Denney told me that if he wasn't being consoled by my holding him it was fine to put him down for a little bit.  That made me feel much better.  He also said it's okay for him to just cry sometimes and that made me feel better.  I know it's obvious, but sometimes I feel so guilty letting him cry when I need to get a shower or take care of something for Annie.  As he gets less and less like a tiny newborn I don't feel as bad, though.  Obviously, I'm going to try to help him when I can and I'm not talking about letting him cry to go to sleep yet, but I have to give myself grace when I can't fix it every time.  I asked Dr. Denney a bunch of other stuff, about sunscreen, his head flop in the car seat, and a few other things.

We basically talked about potty training Ann Peyton and that was it for her.  Dr. Denney said not to push it and just to follow her lead.  She really doesn't seem ready and I'm trying not to be too stressed about it.

Then they both got shots.  I talked to Dr. Denney again about the risk of the vaccinations, but we basically already knew where we stood (both our kids are on typical schedules).  They got their shots and it was a little crazy getting them both settled, but that was it.  Good appointment!

1 comment:

Mary Louis Quinn said...

You know C was a colicky baby so I'm all about letting them cry long enough for you to get something done (shower, etc). Sometimes there's no other choice!! So definitely don't ever feel guilty about that! (And if anyone ever makes you feel bad- they've obviously never had a colicky child! :) )