Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sister

 


She's the entire reason I knew before Ann Peyton was even born that we wanted to give her a sibling approximately two years younger than her.

She is the "Ann" that our Annie is named for. 

She was my best friend for as far back as I can remember. When I was in second grade, I wrote a short prose and an acrostic declaring her such. [Have to find those.]

 I was terribly bossy during those early years and always had to be the teacher, boss, mother, or coach, while she played the willing pupil, employee, child, or athlete.  I made her eat nasty concoctions full of ketchup, honey and vinegar, which I referred to as "punishment".  She loved me in spite.

She made me laugh.


And we experienced so many of childhood's beautiful moments together.

We've had so many fun late night talks through the years.

Once she got her driver's license, she drove every day when we were in high school. Because I *hate* to drive.  Everyone thought that was weird because she was the baby sister, but we didn't care.

We had rough patches, but when we both left for college, we learned to appreciate each other even more in our absence.

And she kept making me laugh.

She was my maid of honor, but the honor of having her stand beside me was truly mine.

She adores Peyton and speaks so highly of him. She challenges me to be a better wife and to see his goodness more.
 

I watched her as she  loved my little girl more than I ever could imagine.  She's always enjoyed kids, but I never expected someone at her stage of life to take such a genuine interest in the little details of Annie's life.  I never anticipated that she would fall in love with Ann Peyton the way she did and want to spend so much time with her.

She was one of a very few people I felt comfortable asking to be in the delivery room for Graves's birth, knowing it would be a much different experience than Annie's.  I knew the emotions would be raw, that I would be in a ton of pain, and that I'd be at my most vulnerable. I hoped so much she'd want to be there.  And she was.  And it was perfect.  I'll never be able to express how much it meant to me.  Words just won't come.

She not only wants me and Peyton, but she wants our kids, at EVERYTHING.  Her graduation, her celebratory dinners....everything.  It makes my heart smile that she always wants to include them.

She graduated at the top of her nursing school class after taking a risk and trying something she wasn't sure she'd like.  She ended up loving it and I know she will be perfect.  She used to want to be a veterinarian so bad when she was little, but the Lord knew she was made to care for people.  She will care for them so beautifully.
 

 She told me the other day that I was everything she wanted to be when she's a mother.  I fell apart.  It was one of the kindest things anyone has ever said to me and  compliment I will never in my life forget.

She's moving to another state soon and I don't know where I will be without her.

She's twenty four years old today and she's made the last twenty four years of my life all the more precious simply by being her.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I teared up reading this- I feel the same way about my two younger sisters! Such a beautiful post!

Sarah said...

You made me tear up too. What a special relationship. I've always kind of wished I had a sister.

Amy said...

this is such a sweet post. this is absolutely what i pray for my girls!! what a blessing to have a sister!

The Taffs said...

Such a sweet, sweet post. Sisters are the best. I feel the same about mine.

Mallory Pickering said...

This made me cry! Oh my gosh--so special and sweet. I hate that she is moving!

Rachel said...

Denley this was SO beautiful and touching. There is nothing else like the bond between sisters.