Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Meme of Important Posts

Okay, so my friend Ashley tagged me for this.  I had seen it going around on a few blog I read, and I admit I thought it looked like a fun exercise, so I'm glad to get a turn.  Here goes:

Rules:

1) Blogger is nominated to take part

2) Blogger publishes his/her 7 links on his/her blog – 1 link for each category (um, everyone I've seen has kind of broken the one link rule, and I followed suit).

– Your most beautiful post

– Your most popular post

– Your most controversial post

– Your most helpful post

– A post whose success surprised you

– A post you feel didn’t get the attention it deserved

– The post that you are most proud of



3) Blogger nominates up to 5 more bloggers to take part.

4) These bloggers publish their 7 links and nominate another 5 more bloggers

5) And so it goes on!

My most beautiful post was a letter I wrote Ann Peyton shortly after her baptism.  As we're finally going about setting a date for Graves's baptism, memories of all the emotions of Annie's have come back to me.  It was such an introspective time because I forced myself to sit and really ponder the things I hope for her and her walk with the Lord.  Peyton contends it's my best post to date and I have to acknowledge it as a personal favorite, as well.

Obviously, my most popular posts in terms of pageviews came from back when I participated in Show Us Where You Live and Show Us Your Life, blog carnivals hosted by Kelly.  In terms of comments, I think the posts that usually get the most comments are posts in which I talk about deeper issues like fear or insecurity and guilt or when I talk about decisions we've made for our family, many of which aren't the same choices made by the typical American family (natural birth, paying off our house relatively quickly, cloth diapering, ect).  I don't say that with an condescension- I just think that people often find it interesting to read about a lifestyle different than their own.  I know I do!

My most controversial post is um, well, there's probably quite a few.  I guess the one a few weeks back where I posted my opinions on what is, in general, best for children and the subsequent post clarifying my feelings would definitely fit the bill.  This tongue in cheek post about why we don't use hormonal birth control was another controversial topic and actually, the ONE post I've gotten what I consider a truly nasty comment on.  And then there's this post where I further discuss the issue.

I think my most helpful posts are probably the ones I write about my experiences with anxiety.  I think a lot of people can relate to that and it makes people happy to find a safe place to share those feelings.  I also think posts where I share my struggles are helpful to other parents.  I think it's a fine line because I want to be transparent and share the ugly, hard part of mothering, but I don't want for a minute to be ungrateful for the many blessings I have.  I know I have heard other moms in my position endlessly bicker about how hard their lives are and I think about the many, many people in the world with truly difficult lives.  And then I see moms in my position paint their lives as perfect and I can't stand that either because it creates such feelings of insecurity.  Obviously, both irk me quite a bit.  Overall, I think my most helpful posts are my most real, transparent posts.

A post whose success surprised me was this post on "Age Appropriate Dressing of the Babykins".  I don't get a ton of comments in general, and people came out of the woodwork to share how they liked to dress their little fashionistas.  Honestly, I'm usually kind of surprised by the amount of comments on many of my Baby Fashion posts, for some reason.

A post that  should've gotten way more attention is a hard prompt for me, to be honest and one that kind of scares me to answer out loud.  I guess I would say I wish that all my creative/literary style posts would get more attention.  Posts like this one, or this one, or this one.  I don't feel they deserve it necessarily, but they are important to me and have grown increasingly so.  I have a whole post about this that, in truth, I'm kind of terrified to publish.  The fact is I LOVE to write and if I'm honest with myself, I wish I had more....influence.

One of the posts that I'm most proud of would have to be this one about the filthy excess that I allowed my life to become. It seems so, so wrong to say I'm proud of anything involving a sin in my life.  I'm really not exactly proud of myself for recognizing it or listening to the prompting of the Holy Spirit, but I am proud of myself for sharing it.  It was harder to write than any of my controversial posts because I was so ashamed of myself and it was so new and raw, but I'm very glad I forced myself to do it.

One thing I found very interesting about this exercise was that by and far the vast majority of these posts can be found under the label "Things Rolling Around In My Head (and Heart)".  I guess it's a catch all for all the important stuff on here!  

I nominate:
 Sarah
Allison
Rachel
Ellis
Sarah

I had a hard time with the nominating part, so please feel free to do this even if I didn't tag you!  I hate to tag people and for them to feel obligated, especially when their blog is more of a daily scrapbook for themselves and their family.  I don't say that to be mean, I just think it might be harder to find posts meeting the criteria of some of these, but again, PLEASE do it if you want to and PLEASE let me know in the comments if you do!


1 comment:

Camille said...

I am a first time commenter, but I have been reading your blog for a long time. Your "I Pray That She'll Be Ordinary" post is one of my all time favorite post of yours!
I love how you express your hopes and dreams for your daughter so freely. I can only hope that someday I will be able to express myself about my children once they come along.