Thursday, August 4, 2011

Perspective

I been thinking a lot about a discussion Carrie, Ashley and I had on our girls' trip that involved the three of us trying to articulate the differences between our three blogs (which are similar in some ways, but also pretty different).  Peyton and I talked about it some more after I got home, simply because I think it's something interesting to analyze.

This blog has changed A LOT since it's early days.  For one thing, I write frequently, almost daily.  And since I do a Weekly Happenings post most of my posts are not "this is what we did today" variety.  Sometimes, they are just fun glimpses into this season of our lives, but at other times (many other times) this has become a place where I come to process things and try to work through them.  The other day Peyton and I were talking and I was having trouble articulating something and he said "Do you need to write about this first?" and then he asked (jokingly, of course) if my blog and my brain had actually become one and the same. 

I've always said that this blog was a big smorgasbord and at the beginning of this year when I created a collection of my favorite posts from the previous twelve months I saw that even more.  If you read anything about blogging, one of the first things you'll find is the advice to find a "niche". Most of the blogs I read have one- some are  typical "mommy blogs", others might be faith blogs, style blogs, decorating blogs, news blogs, ect.  I could do a whole post on this, but anyway. I know my blog is definitely a mommy blog, but I'd hope it is also more than that. [I don't mean "more than that" in the sense of "better than that", I mean it in the sense of "in addition to that".]

Anyway, all that  that got me thinking.  I'm always interested in other people's perspective and I'd really like to know YOUR opinion. What do you see here?  What are your favorite things about it? What posts do you enjoy the most? [You can tell me which ones you find the most boring or upsetting, too, but I can't promise it will deter any future posting ;)].

Also, I usually do a "Questions and Answers" type post every six months or so, but are there any topics you'd like to see me do a post about? Anything I've blogged about that you'd enjoy hearing more about?

I'd love to hear from y'all!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I do agree; it was a fascinating conversation, and one that I've mulled over myself. Kurt and I have even dissected it!

I enjoy reading everything you post. It really is eclectic, and that reflects you really well.

I love you!

Christi said...

I like all of your blogs. I think it gives me perspective on you and what matters to you even though we've never met in real life.
I hope you're having a great day.
Christi

Ellis said...

Den,

Sorry I'm late on this, and also sorry to bring a previous post all the way up to your most recent one. However, I think this would be a wonderful article for you to read: a speech transcribed of Tony Campolo--my favorite evangelical--and his wife discussing the topic of homosexuality. A topic on which they actually lovingly disagree as a married couple. I do not think there is anything else other talking about my personal experiences that I could add to this article. It is great. Please give it a read and pass it on to your friends.

http://www.bridges-across.org/ba/campolo.htm

Mallory Pickering said...

Motherhood mainly--details of daily life--plus a splash of opinion, mostly related to motherhood issues. I think the way you work in your opinions on important topics is what makes your blog much more interesting than others of the same style (motherhood/diary).