Monday, August 29, 2011

Weekly Happenings #128 (August 23-28)-- The Sad Goodbye

 This week was the last week of having my sister live in the same town as us for who knows how long.  She moved to Nashville on Friday and it was really hard for me.  I've gotten teary about it a couple of times.  A goal for next week is definitely to set up Skype!  Needless to say, the week was spent with lots of trips to my parents' house to see her.

In other news, I really felt like this was a productive week.  Y'all know I don't say that lightly, but sometimes I do wonder if there's really that much difference from a week where I feel like I accomplished nothing and one where I feel like I accomplished a lot.  Either way, for some reason, I really understood this week that I just physically cannot make dinner, clean the house to my standards, spend time with the Lord, do fun projects, make time for friends, blog, work in the yard, and organize the house and all our photos while keeping my sanity and giving the children and Peyton the time and attention they crave and deserve. This week the house suffered and I didn't blog as much as I like to (or read blogs as much as I like to).  I didn't keep up with cleaning much at all, but we did a lot of fun things and I accomplished a lot of other things.  I cooked more than usual and we spent a lot of time with our families and friends.  Balance is key!

Peyton was off on Monday and we had a good day.  We got a lot of stuff organized around the house and also spent time with our families!  I got up with Baby Graves around seven and when AP woke up at eight, I handed them off to Peyton and went back to bed for an hour.  When I woke up, I started laundry and dishes and then Peyton and I took a bunch of stuff to the attic and I did some organizing up there. Boy, was it hot!  I took a shower and then Cookie came over for a visit. 
 We cleaned up and organized the study and played with Annie while Graves took a nap.  After Cookie left, we put Annie down for a nap and I worked on organizing some in my closet and hung up laundry. Peyton and Graves took a nap and I got on the computer for a little bit  We had to wake AP up and we headed to Lowe's to get a new hose and some light fixtures to replace our old ugly ones (even though we've lived in this house for three years, we're just now getting to some stuff!).  We grabbed some food at Sonic and went over to Peyton's parents' house.  On the way home, Peyton ran in the grocery store for a few things.  We got home and were unloading and Peyton asked me where Graves was.  I had assumed he got him out of the car.  Um, he hadn't.  I nearly had a heart attack, but he said he realized all along, he just wanted us to realize that we needed to communicate about who had him.  I put up groceries and we got AP to bed and then I worked on last week's Weekly Happenings post.  Peyton and I chatted and I went to bed late.

Tuesday was another day off for Peyton and we got a few more things accomplished!  Peyton spent the morning moving the yard and weed eating and I got up with the kids and worked on our finances and then folded a bunch of laundry.  I decided to cook a sirloin steak for lunch with green beans and rolls because I meant to cook it Monday night but we went to Peyton's parents' house and we were planning to go to my parents' house for dinner on Tuesday.  I started cooking and Morgan called and wanted to know if the kids and I wanted to meet her for lunch.  I asked her if she wanted to come over instead and she said sure, so I jumped in the shower really fast.  I got ready and finished lunch and she and her girls got here.  We all had fun eating and visiting and then Peyton started working on changing a light fixture in our hall.  After Morgan left, Annie and I cleaned up toys and then she took a nap.  I got Graves to sleep, too, and messed around on the computer for about an hour.  I worked on organizing some more piles of papers (they never end!) and then we woke AP up and went to my parents' house. They were having leftover red beans.  AP wanted to wear her swimsuit and we obliged.

 yummy ice cream!

Peyton went for a bike ride and we ate and gave Annie a bath and then came home, by way of Kroger again.  I got on the computer after we got the kids to bed and then went to bed myself.

Peyton was back at work on Wednesday morning.  Graves woke up around seven and after an hour, he finally feel back asleep in my arms.  AP woke up about fifteen minutes later and Graves was up again :( I went ahead and got a quick shower and gave Graves a bath and then I cleaned up the kitchen, which was a big mess with lots of dishes in the sink.  After that I got to work doing some baking.  I know, I know, don't fall over dead- yes, I actually baked!  I made a chocolate chip pound cake and the pie Carrie made for us when we went over to their house about a month ago.  Peyton loved it and when I emailed Carrie about it, she told me it wasn't hard, but it was kind of time consuming and a lot of steps.  Code for "it's hard".  Anyway, it wasn't terrible, but it was more than what I'm used to....boxed brownies and such ;)  It's a French silk pie, but the eggs in it are cooked.  Here's the recipe for those interested. Anyway, I was cooking the pound cake and without thinking I reset the timer, so I had to guess how long to keep it in for.  I got it out early, because it crumbled and looked awful.  I had made it to take to church for Wednesday night supper and I was so frustrated. Especially since between diapers and feeding the kids and such, I had been cooking all morning!  I loaded them up and headed to the grocery store to get two things I needed to make another cake.  We went by Chik Fil A on the way home and ate lunch and then I cooked the other pound cake.
I started thinking that maybe she's too old for bubbles now that she can pretty much put one on by herself.  I decided no, though, of course.

AP stayed in her bed for about two hours, but never napped and Graves snoozed a little.  I got on the computer and made the second cake, but I realized I was out of Pam cooking spray so I had to do it old school and use regular spray and flour.  I didn't use enough flour because the same thing happened round two.  It stuck to pan and came out looking awful!  I could have cried. Peyton got home and we got everyone ready.  He offered to take his pie to church, but I wanted him to enjoy it and honestly, I know it's stupid, but I felt so much pride in making it, I really didn't want to take it to church where a bunch of people wouldn't appreciate it.  Ha!  We ended up just slicing the cake and it looked fine.  Annie feel asleep in the car and we got there early so Peyton could run off some things.  We had dinner (spaghetti!) and then Peyton did the introduction to the Christian Believer study he's teaching.  There's only six people in the class including us, but I think it's going to be an amazing group.  I'm so excited!  We got home and put Annie to bed and Graves had his first taste of cereal!
Peyton tried his pie and raved about it.  He's pretty honest about food and will tell me the cold truth if something sucks, so I was so happy!  I got on the computer and read blogs and wrote a post and then cleaned up the house a little and went to bed.

Thursday was busy and also relaxing. I woke up early and got ready because I had a "teacher meeting" for Mother's Day Out.  Peyton was working, so Cookie and my mom came over to keep AP and I took Graves with me.  We had a good meeting and then we stayed and cleaned toys and stuff afterward.  We got home around lunch and I had a bad headache.
 These friends misbehaved while I was gone and got sent to time out!

  Cookie and my mom left and I got the kids down for naps.  I ate lunch, watched TV, and then got sucked in by Pinterest.  I was just settling into a nap myself when Graves woke up.   I fed him and fortunately, Peyton got home right after that, so I handed him off  and took a thirty minute power nap.  Annie had woken up and we all got ready and dropped the kids off at my inlaws because Peyton and I were going to a new thing that he got an email about.  It's an organization called Inerfaith Dialogue and the topic was on "Women in Abrahamic Traditions".  They had a Muslim speaker, a Jewish speaker, and a Christian speaker who happens to be the Bishop of the United Methodist Church in Mississippi, which was a big part of why we wanted to go. It ended up being interested and the Turkish food they served for dinner was amazing, but Peyton said he wished they had gone a little more in depth into the problems women face in each of these religions. Bishop Ward and the Jewish rabbi mentioned them, but the Muslim women, interestingly enough, didn't even touch on it.  I did tell Peyton afterward that I felt kind of awkward because honestly, I'm pretty sure we were BY FAR the most conservative people in the room- in our views on the role of women and also in our views on faith in general. It's always good to branch out and be challenged, though!

We picked up the kids and went over to my parents to say goodbye to Cookie one last time before she left for Nashville on Friday.  My headache was worse and everyone was so tired, and AP pitched a fit about leaving.  We sent her to time out and my mom almost came undone.  I know initially it was hard for me to discipline such a sensitive spirit, so I get it, but we know it's what is best for her.  [Minnie and I had a talk about it the next day and discussed maybe getting her "prepared" to leave earlier.  This is not the first time this has happened.  Clearly.] We came home and I was so tired but there were a bunch of dishes in the sink.  I can leave my house messy (it bugs me, but I CAN do it), but I *hate* going to bed with dirty dishes.  It just grosses me out.  Anyway, Peyton put his hands around my face like blinders and made me get ready for bed.  We put the kids to bed and I fell right to sleep at 10:00!  That's super early for us!

We all got up around eight on Friday and I got a bath and gave both the kids baths.  Graves was due for one and AP was overdue.  I folded and put up some laundry while she was in the tub and we had breakfast and played.  I unloaded the dishwasher and did all the dishes in the sink and then we got ready to go meet the Howies for lunch.  We had a good time catching up and everyone did pretty well.  Graves was kind of cranky from not having a morning nap, but nothing awful and we had the longest lunch "out" that we've had in awhile, probably!  We got home and Peyton was back from his meeting he had that morning.  We visited with him and when he left for work I got the kids down for naps.  I got on the computer and uploaded a ton of pictures to Facebook.  That took most of naptime, but I did also call a few people about getting estimates to get our floor in the kitchen redone.  One guy said he could come over that afternoon.  Graves woke up and then Annie did.  She ate supper and the guy stopped by to measure the kitchen and then we all went outside for a little while.

After reading Jennifer's post, I got out this book I bought a long time ago.  I think I'll find some great ideas!
I had Annie help me clean up toys and then I put the kids to bed.  Peyton got home and we talked a little and then I went to bed.

Graves woke up a few times, and I handed him off to Peyton around seven on Saturday.  I went back to bed for a little while and when AP woke up, I got up, too.
 We started playing a little game with Annie where we hide her stuffed animals.  She loves it and today she started hiding them and wanting us to look.  Papa was sneaky with this one!

  I started laundry and cleaned up the kitchen a little and then we went outside and worked in the yard.  We spent several hours just wedding flower beds and it looks so much better.  Annie spent the whole time in her kiddie pool and Graves alternated between the sling and his swing. We came in and had showers (everyone but Graves) and lunch.  We were planning to go over to Peyton's house and then he remembered he needed to go by Cokesbury and it closes at 3:00 on Saturday, so we hustled and skipped naps.  Annie fell asleep in the car and after picking up the stuff from Cokesbury, we just drove around for a bit to let her snooze.  We got to Peyton's parents' and we had so much fun!  His mom had lots of fresh fruit and Annie got to swim more in their baby pool.  Peyton's sister and her husband and little boy were there and we had fun seeing them and catching up.


The guy that lives next door drove up on his motorcycle and the noise terrified Ann Peyton.  Noises really bother her lately, but I have never seen her so scared in my life.  She was holding on to me as tightly as she could and it took half an hour to get her calm.  I think it was partly from not having a good nap.  We stayed a long time and when we got home it was close to bedtime, so we got everyone ready and put them down a little early.  I got on the computer and worked on my September header.

Graves slept really well Saturday night and I woke up pretty rested, which was good because Sunday turned out busy!
 Graves in an outfit my sister in law loaned us.  So precious!

I had children's church for the early service and we had to stop by Walgreens to get some stickers to make Egyptian armlets.  We got to church just in time and I took Annie with me.  There were only a couple of kids at chidlren's church and they were super well behaved!  Peyton had been delivering curriculum to the Sunday School rooms and he met me for Sunday School.  We talked more about Isaihah and it was really interesting and then we picked AP up from Sunday School (she's actually got a class that she goes to during the Sunday School hour now) and I fed Graves and dropped him back off.  We took Annie to the late service with us because we're trying to get back in that habit some.  The sermon was on being "full" and our pastor talked about how we should be full of love, of commitment to goodness, and of concern for others.  It was great an afterward, we met our friends, the Deckards, at Abners for lunch.  We were pretty tired from the morning and we put AP down and then I did some laundry and straightened up a little and then got on the computer.  We woke AP up and headed back to church early because there was a prayer walk for the kindergarten and Mother's Day Out.  We did that and then just talked until Bible Study.  It was our last night of Modern Parables and Peyton came to it instead of going to church.  We drove around a little after church and picked up a snack from McCallisters.  Both babies fell asleep in the car and Peyton and I talked some more and I got on the computer while he watched TV.

This week is going to be busy.  The kids and I are starting "school" and I know that will be an adjustment as far as waking up early and such.  I'm excited, though!

No comments: