Saturday, August 6, 2011

Weekly Smorgasbord

A new batch of links for this week. Lots of links and they're mostly serious this week. I don't know why so much deep stuff, but all of it's worth reading, in my opinion! I was moved to tears by these words on more than one occasion.



Posted: 06 Aug 2011 09:00 PM PDT
Last week I linked to an article on the subject of homosexuality and the church, simply because it saddened me. My best friend, Ellis, directed me toward this article after he read my post and I found it more interesting than the first one I linked to.  The article is long, but worth the read, in my opinion.

The first article was about one anonymous girl's personal experience with homosexuality. This article is a transcript of a talk by a well known, highly regarded pastor and scholar and his wife. [By the way this man is somewhat liberal in regards to some social issues, but considers himself an evangelical in the sense that 1) has a "very, very high view of scripture" 2) believes the Apostle's Creed in it's entirety and 3) acknowledges "that being Christian involves a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, you talk with him, you know, him, he invades you, he possesses you, he transforms you."  He and his wife have different views on the subject and for the record, I agree with Tony.  This line especially:

"I am not approving of homosexual behavior. I am disapproving of a church that has forgotten how to love people that Jesus will never stop loving. And if you don't like it, join another club but don't call yourself a member of the church of Jesus Christ for we are the community of lovers and we love all kinds of people with all kinds of sin and that's your good fortune and mine too, for where would we be without such a church. And I want it to be the church that Christ wants it to be. "

I also thought this was thought provoking:
"We do have a tendency to play the ball game two ways. We say we've got to be faithful to the Bible. Well I want to ask you, how many of you belong to churches - I won't ask for a raise of hands - how many of you belong to churches that allow people who are divorced and remarried into membership. I want to - don't, don't put up your hands. I don't want to - I don't want to know about your evil.  How many of you belong to churches which say if you're divorced and - well, you know, they're got a problem and we're going to accept them into the fellowship. Well, let me just remind you of something. When it comes to homosexuality, Jesus never mentioned it. I mean, it wasn't on his big hit list. He never mentioned it. But he did talk about divorce and remarriage and he said people who are divorced and remarried are in sexual sin. Did he not? Now the question. If the church is so gracious in accepting people who are divorced and remarried, i.e., accepting people who according to Jesus are living in a sexual sin that he specifically condemns, then why can't they be at least that gracious to our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters?". 

I am in NO WAY endorsing the church marrying homosexuals and I'm not even sure how I feel about official membership, but I do think we should welcome gays and lesbians in fellowship, with the hope that they will be restored to Christ and convicted to remain celibate, or changed by his power.
Posted: 05 Aug 2011 10:03 PM PDT
LOVED this post. I'm still thinking of mine, but probably a lot of Tom Petty's and Bruce Springsteen's would be on the list. I also loved Googling some of the lesser known songs on Erin's list.
Posted: 05 Aug 2011 09:58 PM PDT
I NEED to do this. Maybe this is the final decision on the Flikr/Picassa debate I've been having with myself for two years.
Posted: 05 Aug 2011 09:57 PM PDT
"But the dichotomy is that I love, love, love what my body has done for me. Sure, faded stretch marks and muffin top aren't something I see in the mirror and get excited about, but they mean something. They represent sacrifices my body made to bring our two sweet, beautiful, miraculous sons into the world and then nourish them exclusively for a long while. I can't begrudge the marks or the extra padding."
Posted: 05 Aug 2011 09:56 PM PDT
"I carry the weight of my hips & the weight of the world; I’m stronger than I look & I’m stronger than I feel."

"I am made in the image of God and I am emotional. I don’t want to keep my feelings bound up in the bars of my ribcage."

"I have given birth. I have labored and pushed out life into this world with my own body and I am a partner in creations new."

"I have nursed and fed and soothed and protected. I am a fearsome thing to behold. And even on the worst days, when the discipline track gets played on repeat, I hold a fierce love that could set a forest on fire with the smallest kindling."

One of the most beautiful, eloquent post I've read in some time.
Posted: 05 Aug 2011 09:48 PM PDT
I somehow missed this in my Reader (because, as y'all know, these days I probably "mark as read" as often as not), but my friend Ashley pointed me to it and boy is it good!

Muthering Heights and Other Senseless Sensibility » On Anger: Your Words Will Eventually Pour From Their Mouths
Posted: 04 Aug 2011 07:47 PM PDT
"you must never lose sight of the fact that your children look to you for the appropriate manner in which to process the ugly bred into their very mitochondria." Yes, just yes.
Posted: 04 Aug 2011 11:11 AM PDT
Aside from it's incredible ability to steal away an entire afternoon in the bat of an eye, there's another, bigger problem with Pinterest (at least for me and Hillary). The paradox of such a fun site is the temptation to be always pinning and never crafting, decorating, cooking, creating, organizing, ect.

When It Cost to Be Frugal — We are THAT Family
Posted: 03 Aug 2011 09:21 PM PDT
"Now, I'm not saying that every good deal translates into a worker across the globe losing their dignity. I just think we need to be aware that some deals are too good to be fair."
Posted: 03 Aug 2011 08:24 PM PDT
"If you have a blog, my suggestion to you is to treat it with respect and make it the best art you have.

But what if you don't have 2,000 readers? Maybe you have 30 readers. Do you roll your eyes at those 30 readers? Do you think of your work as valuable even if only 30 people read it? Consider this: what if 30 women showed up in a room to hear you speak. Would you see it differently? Would you roll your eyes at them? No way! You would prepare and plan and maybe even get nervous. And you would look forward to meeting with these 30 people who made the effort to show up and listen."

These words encourage me.
Posted: 03 Aug 2011 08:21 PM PDT
"If you come to a dashboard, click 'Add New,' write until your story's done, and then push 'Publish.' You've done it. You are a published author."

"If you stopped seeing yourself as a wanna-be writer and started seeing yourself as a writer, how would your writing, your online presence, and you change?"

More powerful words. I intend to go back and read the entire "Find Your Voice" series.
Posted: 03 Aug 2011 10:35 AM PDT
This article was interesting and had some good points (although, I'm with my brother in law- I like actual numbers and references and such). I will say, though, for the record I hate the term "container babies". It just seems arrogant and it creates a lot of guilt. It cuts both ways, though, because I also can't stand people talking about "spoiling" an infant (esp. a very young infant) by holding them/wearing them. I think balance is key to a well adjusted child....and life.

The 25 Weirdest and Worst Novelty Onesies for Sale Online | Strollerderby
Posted: 31 Jul 2011 08:36 PM PDT
I've said it at least four hundred times, but I *hate* these things.
Hope you find something that entertains or edifies you!

1 comment:

Ellis said...

I am so pleased to be an influence in The Weekly Smorgasborg. Between your and Minda's blogging obsession, I may have no choice but to become involved again. Give my Goddaughter a kiss for me. I love you guys.