Monday, August 29, 2011

Weekly Smorgasbord

I didn't really do a lot of reading last week, so my list is a little shorter than usual, and (not unusually) a day late.  But I think it's a good one!


    Posted: 28 Aug 2011 09:18 PM PDT
    I was glad to read this. I still haven't seen it, but I loved the book. Anyway, this post really helped me see the "problem" that some people have with the book and the movie. I think it's overreacting for the most part, but I do hate that Hollywood has not really given black people a chance (in most instances) to tell their own stories.
    Posted: 28 Aug 2011 09:16 PM PDT
    Jennifer had some great suggestions for entertaining toddlers. When I read posts like this, I realize that being a mom has not come as naturally as I thought it would. I WISH I was creative like this (and in a prideful way, I kind of thought I would be before I actually had kids), but I'm not. We spend most of our days reading, doing puzzles and playing outside. I know that's fine, but it gets old. I'm going to try to be intentional about creating some fun activities for Annie!
    Posted: 28 Aug 2011 09:11 PM PDT
    My brother in law shared this site with me.

    "'No folk theories. No preachy advice. No authoritarian pronouncements or pseudoscientific political dogma.'

    Instead, you'll find something pretty rare among popular resources for parents:

    In-depth analysis with fully referenced citations from the scientific and medical literature."
    Posted: 28 Aug 2011 08:30 PM PDT
    "The life we waste everyday because we want a better one or because we are never satisfied with it, is the life that many wish and yearn to have and would give everything to have it."

    Such a  heartbreaking piece. Makes me wonder what I could do without so people like this could have more.
    Posted: 28 Aug 2011 08:25 PM PDT
    "The most vulnerable are girls under the age of 15. As one woman said, "While we were walking, if the men with the guns saw a pretty girl, they would take her and they would keep her."

    "The problem here is not just that girls are not being protected. Or that girls are not being supported. The real issue is that girls simply are not seen. They are not valued."

    This article made me feel physically sick to my stomach. What if these were my concerns for myself and my sweet Annie girl?
    Hope you found something to entertain your toddler or stir your soul, like I did!

    6 comments:

    Allison said...

    I just can't decide how I feel about The Help. I know that when I listened to it (audio book), I was entertained by it but it left me feeling unsettled. Like something about the way the women (especially the maids) were portrayed seemed off, maybe. I can't say that I thought the book was overtly racist, but I did feel a tinge of "something" not quite right.

    I read the article you linked and I do see his point -- seems like it would've come across better had it been written by a Southern black female.

    Allison said...

    .

    Mallory Pickering said...

    I didn't love The Help, but it has nothing to do with racism. I thought the characters were great and it was a very entertaining story, as well as a great portrait of Southern life in the 60s. It left me unsatisfied in the conclusions it reached, which seemed to spring from a liberal philosophical perspective. Much more than being about racial issues, the book promotes being anti-traditional and finding freedom through breaking out of societal confines, at least in my opinion. The white, Christian, Southern people are vilified and contrasted with the people of North (esp. NYC)who don't just embrace racial diversity but also women's rights, gay rights, short skirts, etc. There is this idea in the book that the progressive NY is ideal and what our society should be striving to become like, morally. Skeeter is seen as a way-too-perfect character. I thought it was rather predictable and one-dimensional. It treats human suffering and injustice as merely the result of bad social constructs, when in reality, sin is at the root of all of our hearts, including Skeeter's and the people of NYC. Sin may not play itself out in racial prejudice in everyone, but it's there in all of us, and as much as we need to rectify injustice in social structures and community thought--the sin problem that's in all of our hearts can only be dealt with through a realization of its existence and grace and freedom through Jesus. The solution to Skeeter's problems is not to wear short skirts and move to New York City. I still think it's a good book, especially as it relates to race in the South, but I don't LOVE it.

    Holly Rutchik said...

    Great list! Thanks.
    Re: the first article about The Help. Humm. I never thought of that. I'm not sure if I want to read the book first or just go ahead and go to the movie and skip the book.

    The Niemeyer Nest said...

    I am so excited to have made your list! You need to give yourself way more credit than you do! SD, you are one fantastic mom with two sweet children that have a daily example of living in the Word, being a steward of the Earth, having LOTS of commonsense and a fantastic sense of humor!

    Kristal said...

    Love that parenting science link. I'll be bookmarking it for reference - it has tons of great info!