Thursday, September 22, 2011

Miss Independent

I know it is TOTALLY normal for her age, but I never would have expected to see a "strong willed" streak in Ann Peyton.

I was very much a strong willed child.  I was stubborn and hard headed and argumentative.  I would like to think that I've mellowed some and with age and temperance, those same characteristics have become assets and positive parts of my personality.  However, my mom has some stories on me.  I argued with just about every word out of her mouth and I was fiercely independent. 

Well, a few days ago, I saw a bit of my little girl self in Ann Peyton.  I was picking her up and putting her in her carseat and she started freaking out.  Backing up: recenlty, I've developed a new routine. Because I don't usually get Graves's infant seat out anymore (the thing is so darn heavy) and because I really don't trust AP enough to let go of her hand for even one second in a parking lot, I had to devise a system.  [I'm all about "systems".  I like to do things the most efficient or practical way, but more importantly, in cases like this, the safest way.] Anyway, what I do is open the door and unbuckle Ann Peyton and then close her door.  While she's maneuvering out of her seat (she's still rear facing), I go to Graves's side and unbuckle him.  I get him out and go back to her side, reopen the door, and hold her hand while she gets out.  I have him in one arm and her hand in mine and she closes both her door and the drivers door after I lock it (man, a clicker would be nice, because I kind of just wedge Graves between my arm and side so I can lock it).  We do the reverse when we get back in- she climbs in, I shut the door and get Graves in and then come back and buckle her. Anyway, all that to say she's used to getting in and out by herself, but this particular day I was in a hurry, so I just picked her up and put her it.

Well, she started fussing and squirming so bad.  I thought maybe she just wanted a book that was beside her and I told her I'd get it far her after I buckled her.  She looked at me and said probably the most articulate sentence she's ever formed.  She's just not big on complete sentences with a subject and a verb yet.  Anyway, she looked me in the eyes and said "I want to do it myself".  So, I picked her up and put her back on the ground and she climbed in and got situated.  She was all smiles after that.

A part of me really is proud of her because for a little while I worried she would be more than just a compliant child- she would be a pushover.  This girl is no doormat, though. I know I say this all the time, but by and large, one of my absolute favorite parts of being a parent is playing the psychologist/behaviorist. I love seeing her little mind work and her personality develop and watching her interact with others and learn to express herself!

No comments: