Sunday, September 4, 2011

Weekly Happenings Post #129 (August 29-September 4)- The Dog Days Are Over


 [Poor Annie, her momma needs to help her with that hair!]

Well, Summer is coming to a close for us.  Next week, we'll start Mother's Day out and that will be it.  I know it doesn't sound like a huge difference, but we're all going to be adjusting our bedtimes by hours.  It's only two mornings a week, but it does seem to really fill up the schedule a bit.  In a good way!  Anyway, this week wasn't super busy.  It was a nice goodbye to Summer!

We all got up kind of slowly on Monday morning.  We had had such a big, fun weekend and we just wanted to take it easy.  Graves fell back asleep on the couch with Peyton and I slept a little more while Ann Peyton watched Elmo and Veggie Tales in our room. Once we got going, Peyton cooked a big breakfast and I straightened up the house, and started dishes and laundry and then I made some phone calls about getting estimates for our floors and having someone come talk to us about paint colors. I also called AT&T to upgrade our Internet connection speed and ended up talking to the lady for almost and hour and deciding to get Uverse and change our TV subscription.  Peyton went to work and I got the kids fed and down for naps.  Graves didn't nap that well.  He stayed in bed for about two hours, but I had to go in and get him back to sleep like five times.  A little frustrating since he didn't have a nap that morning either!  I managed to finish my Weekly Smorgasbord post, take out the recycling and compost and start another post for later in the week.  When AP woke up, we got ready and went to my parents' house.  We had fun and when we got home, I put everyone to bed and cooked veggies (corn, okra, and black eyed peas) for supper.  I finished my Weekly Happenings post and messed around on Twitter and Peyton got home and we ate.  I read Christian Believer and went to bed.

Graves was up literally every hour of the night and Tuesday morning came early.  We had the open house for Mother's Day Out, but we didn't have to get there until 8:45.  I woke up at seven and Peyton helped me get everyone ready.  I'm amazed that I'm finally getting adjusted and moving faster with two (short hair helps!).  
Annie is having a hard time getting adjusted to the new schedule, ha!

 I wanted a picture and Peyton suggested I just get on the floor with her.  Right.

 Love those fat legs...

...and beautiful blue eyes!

We left and got to the church in time.  It was so much fun seeing everyone and meeting new friends!  This year I'm in the younger toddler room, AP is in the older toddler room, and Graves is in the infant room, so we're all spread out! After the open house we came home.

Peyton had been riding his bike and I was planning on taking a nap because I was so tired and a little irritable, but Peyton had to leave early because he had a lunch before work.  I fed Graves and then cleaned out the fridge a little and did some dishes while Annie ate lunch.  I let her play a little and then attempted nap time.  I really wasn't counting on them both taking good naps since Graves had slept a lot during the open house, but they both slept well and I got to have a nice relaxing lunch, watch a little TV, and take a nap myself.  I even had time to start a blog post before they woke up. Graves slept a lot longer than I thought he would and Annie took FOREVER to go to sleep, but then she napped for over an hour and I had to wake her up.  Once they were up, they played and Annie and I had a snack and I fed Graves and then I watched an episode of Lost and folded clothes.  We had a guy come give us an estimate for the kitchen floors and then we all went outside to play for a bit.  We came in and Annie had supper and I fed Graves and got them to bed.  I read blogs a little and cooked spaghetti for supper as well as some spinach for later in the week.  Peyton got home and we visited and ate and then I cleaned up the kitchen and picked up the house and we watched more Lost while I folded another load of laundry and chatted a little and then went to bed.We decided to put Graves in the room with AP after his last feeding and they did so good!  Graves woke up once in the early morning and I fed him and put him right back without AP waking up.

Wednesday was Peyton's day off and we had several things going on.  We woke up and got showers and got the kids dressed and then a lady from a local paint store came over to give us a consult on paint colors for the kitchen, study and the outside of the house.  I'm so indecisive about these things so I need a little guidance ;) She was really helpful.  We had a pretty relaxing morning and I set up Skype on the laptop and we Skpyed with Cookie and her boyfriend.  Annie liked it, but was kind of confused.  Cookie totally cracked up because both kids kept grabbing my Poptart!
Yummy green smoothie with spinach and bananas and pinapples.  SO good!

After that, we got ready and went up to the church. I read some of our book for that night's study out loud in the car. Peyton thought he might have to go into work, so he wanted to get everything set up in the room for his class in case I had to lead it myself.  He ended up not having to work and we came home.  I got the kids down for naps and Peyton had a brief meeting to go to.  I got on the computer for a bit and read some for Bible Study.  Peyton got home and we played and read some more and then got ready and went to church. Still working on using my camera.  I love the brightness, but I had to use a pretty high ISO, which is bad because it causes "noise".  One day I will learn how to do this!


  We had an awesome discussion!  We went by Kroger on the way home and it was late when we got back.  We fed the kids and had super and put up groceries and then I straightened up and hung up a ton of clothes in the nursery while Peyton got the babies ready for bed.  We talked a little and then I wrote a post and wasted time on Twitter and Peyton watched TV.

Thursday was a pretty busy morning!
 [Love that little rogue foot!]

We got up and got ready because Peyton and I had a meeting with our associate pastor.  We were talking to him about a new building the church is considering acquiring, but we also also wanted to talk to him about missions.  I have to be honest, it's an area our church could do better on and it's been strongly on mine and Peyton's heart.  The thing is, there is a lot of interest, especially among the young and middle aged adults in our church, but no one seems to know where to start.  I've decided that I really need to become more involved, and I've alluded to this, but I think I've figured out  a way!  I'm going to take on the responsibility of coordinating some local missions for us.  Even if I can't go and do everything because of the kids, it's a small way that I can serve!

Anyway, after our meetings we went by Target to pick up some disposable dipes.  I had planned on meeting the Howies for lunch, but they had had a rough week, so we canceled.  Peyton had a gift card to Cheddars, so we made him take us to lunch instead!  Once we got home, Peyton got ready for work and I got the kids down for naps.  They took good, solid naps and I spent some of the time straightening the house and organizing the office and then I got on the computer and watched some accent vlogs.  I tried to record mine, but it took me awhile just to figure out how to use the movie maker on Peyton's laptop.  When the kids got up we went outside for half an hour and then I got Annie's supper ready and fed Graves.  I spent some more time organizing our book cabinet in the office because we've just been throwing books in there and it looks a mess.  The kids played on the floor while I did that.  I got them ready for bed and it took Annie a while and a few "rockyou Mommas" and cups of water to get to sleep.  I recorded my vlog, got Graves to bed and uploaded it.  I ate supper and then fell asleep before Peyton got home.  I fed Graves one last time and transferred him from the Pack N Play to the nursery.

He woke up once to eat around 5:00 on Friday and went back to sleep and then he and Annie both woke up earlier than usual (around seven something).  Peyton had stayed up late and I had a massive headache, so we had a snuggle party with both kids in our bed.  My headache just got worse, but Peyton needed to run some errands (to pick up some medicine at another Walgreens and get his bike).  I got up and we had breakfast, but I could barely function.  My head hurt so bad my body tensed up and at one point I started shaking a little bit.  When I stood up, I got super dizzy and once my vision was even a little blurry.  I thought it was just a terrible sinus headache and I had this big internal debate because I know Sudafed could dry up my milk some.  Peyton said it would probably only be about a 20% decrease, but some days I feel like it's a struggle to keep Graves full as it is.  Anyway, I got kind of upset about it.  In retrospect, I do think it was sinus related, but I also think it was tension and I think I was just really tired. I told Peyton I used to feel like such a crybaby complaining over these things, but I feel like after Graves's birth I can kind of own it when things are painful.  I know I have a higher pain tolerance than I thought I did and maybe I'm not such a weeney after all!

After Peyton got home, I soaked in the tub a little and then laid back down in bed.  I woke up and felt a little better so we took AP's monthly picture and I ate lunch and changed her bedding because her diaper had leaked the night before. 

After lunch, I got dizzy and nauseous again, so I put AP down for her nap and snuggled with Graves on the sofa until he fell asleep.  I put him down and decided to take the medicine.  I realized that I had quite a bit of milk in the freezer. It's from before I cut dairy, so I haven't been giving it to him, but I'd rather do that than formula. Also, he'll start solids soon, so I decided it would be okay to risk it.  I slept some more and woke up feeling some better, so I wrote AP's letter and then Graves woke up.

Annie woke up a little later and we got ready and went to my parents' house.  I talked to my mom some and then laid down in a dark room AGAIN.  I fell asleep and slept harder than I have in four and a half months, I think.  My sister's bed is super comfy, but I think I was also just able to relax, knowing the kids were happy and entertained.  I woke up once when my parents' dog barked and I had no idea where I was.  I realized, but then thought "Wait, they have a dog?!?!" Um, they haven't not had a dog since I was seven.  That's how hard I was sleeping.  I felt like a new person when I woke up!  And I never noticed a decrease in my supply from the medicine!

Annie had been reading books with my dad and Graves was outside with my mom.  I ate my supper and got AP hers and then we got ready to leave.  Leaving went well this time- I gave AP a choice "Do you want to leave right this minute or do you want me to fed Baby Graves and you play with Minnie and then we'll leave?" She picked the latter (of course) and left relatively happily when it was time to go! We got home late and I got the kids to bed and straightened the house some.  Peyton got home and I finished two posts and changed over my blog for the new month.  I wrote a few overdue thank you notes and went to bed.

The babies got up even earlier on Saturday (I was hoping Annie, at least, would sleep late, since we had been out so late) and we had another little family snuggle session and watched Elmopalooza.  Peyton left for work and I popped in the tub while Annie was still watching.  Once I finished getting ready, I scrubbed the vanity and made our bed (I'm embarrassed to say I haven't done it much this week).  I changed diapers and BG's onsie was SOAKED.  I hadn't noticed because he was in his sleep sack.  So, I gave him a bath and then Annie and I had breakfast.  I put some stuff in the mail, took out the recycling and the trash and got her bedspread out of the washing machine and hung it up to dry.  I started a load of diapers and put Graves in the sling so I could unload the dishwasher.  It was only a few minutes and it kind of hurt my back; I hope that isn't the normal now!  I also had a little scare.  I always put the knives in with the sharp part down, but Peyton had loaded them with the point up.  I just grabbed them without thinking and I realized if Graves had jerked he could have stabbed himself in the face.  I get so worried about these things!

I fed him and put him down for a nap and then I sent a few emails and ordered AP's Halloween costume (I already have Graves's) and some diaper liners.  I also recorded Ann Peyton's vlog.  We read books and then Graves woke up.  I fed him and played with Annie some and then we had lunch. I started trying to upload the vlog and I could not get it to work.  I got so frustrated and finally it was time for AP's nap.  I got Graves to sleep, too, and wasted a good junk of time still trying to get the video uploaded.  I called Peyton since he knows a lot more about Macs than I do, but he had no idea.  He suggested I call Daniel, his sister's husband, who is a computer programmer.  Daniel told me how to do it and I still don't know how I did it the first time!  Anyway, after that I folded a few loads of clothes while Graves played on the floor beside me.  It was really past time to wake Annie up (5:45, ha!) and so I went and got her.  We got ready and when Peyton got home we went over to my parents' house to watch football.  We had a good time and stayed pretty late, so it ended up being good that Ann Peyton had slept late.  We got home and got the kids to bed and Peyton remembered he had left some drugs at my parents' house, so he had to go back.  I got on the computer and  hung up some clothes and when he got home we chatted a little and went to bed.
 [The camera was on some weird setting, but I love this picture.  Also, what is that magazine with the shoes? HA!]

Sunday was a nice, relaxing day. Peyton had some drugs that couldn't be out of the fridge for long,so he had to miss church.  He said if he put them in the fridge at church he would have "lost control" of the drugs, which is true- I mean a hundred people could touch them, not that they would, but...Anyway, we got up and I got ready for church and he got ready for work and helped me get the children ready.  It was raining pretty hard and I was kind of nervous about how I'd even get them in by myself.  Graves's carrier is just to heavy to carry across the parking lot these days.  We got there and I managed, but we were soaked.  Of course, Graves wouldn't eat at home, but wanted to nurse right when we got there.  I fed him and got to Sunday School a little late. We picked back up in Isaiah and talked about a part where he prophesies about the Messiah and how he will grow up on oats and honey (I think that's right?).  Daniel, our teacher, explained that is a metaphor for the "bare basics", like bread and water would be today and it's an analogy for the fundamental basics of the word of God. I thought that was so interesting!  We had communion at church and our pastor shared a story about how Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin took communion on the moon.  It was really neat.  After church, Erin, a precious friend from Sunday school and Jack and Lauren, a super sweet couple also from Sunday School, invited me and the kids to go eat Mexican.  We had a great time and I got to know all three of them a little better.  I still get nervous taking both kids to eat by myself, especially with anyone other than Carrie and Morgan, and ESPECIALLY with people who don't have kids.  It ended up being pretty easy, though.  They were really good and Jack carried Graves for me and Lauren sat on the other side of Ann Peyton and was so sweet, helping her with her fork and her drink and everything.  They need a little baby soon ;)

Annie fell asleep in the car on the way home and I transferred her and fed Graves and then just relaxed and got on the computer.

 I started to take a nap, but Graves woke up, so we snuggled and took one together.  Annie woke up and was in such a good mood!

I had a bunch of energy from my nap, so we had some fun in the kitchen.  I made some muffins and AP helped me.  I let her stir and help measure things and all that!  Usually that kind of thing is more up Peyton's alley, but I'm trying to embrace it.  After that, I filled up a big mixing bowl and got out her little cups and let her practice pouring.  Of course it was a big mess, but it all wipes up easy and it was just water!  I was still proud of myself for not being obsessive about it and when Peyton walked in he couldn't believe the state of things and that I was letting her do all that.  Graves was just playing happily on his playmat the whole time.  I got the kitchen cleaned up, fed Graves, and hung up some clothes in the nursery, and then we all went to run an errand to the Walgreens near us.  We drove around and got Krispie Kremes (basically for supper) and then came home.  I fed Graves and Peyton played a little trick on AP for her supper.
Surprisingly, it actually worked!

After I finish this post, I'm going to do some reading in my Christian Believer book and go to bed!

This coming week, we are starting Mother's Day Out and I'm starting a new Bible study on Wednesday morning.  There's also a consignment sale on Friday.  I hardly need anything for AP, but I do need to get a few Winter things for Graves.  I think Peyton and I are going to try to see The Help, as well.  And I'm taking a week off from the computer.  I'm just going to spend a few minutes each night checking email and typing up our "happenings".  This is huge for me.  In a way (and this really surprises me), I'm kind of excited about it.  I hope I'll be able to get a lot done and just focus on other things! Honestly, I feel like I've published enough content on this blog this week for about two months!  Ha!

And because I never miss an opportunity to link to a video when I reference a song:

Yeah, it's weird. I love this song, though.

1 comment:

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Let me know if you give Graves any of the milk from when you had dairy. I have tons of it too and am not sure what to do with it. Seems so wasteful to throw it away. Hope your head is feeling better. Hope MMO goes well too. I need a week w/o the computer to get a grasp on my house that is OOC.