Sunday, September 4, 2011

Weekly Smorgasbord

This week's links are up. Enjoy!


Posted: 04 Sep 2011 08:38 PM PDT
"Think Before You Pink™, a project of Breast Cancer Action, launched in 2002 in response to the growing concern about the number of pink ribbon products on the market. The campaign calls for more transparency and accountability by companies that take part in breast cancer fundraising, and encourages consumers to ask critical questions about pink ribbon promotions."

Awesome!
Posted: 04 Sep 2011 08:35 PM PDT
SO funny. [Minor language warning.]
Posted: 04 Sep 2011 08:32 PM PDT
I found this link from Peyton's Facebook page. It's a really neat video!
Posted: 04 Sep 2011 08:31 PM PDT
Found this one on Peyton's Facebook, too. Makes me a little nostalgic, even if it's not my Alma Mater.
Posted: 04 Sep 2011 12:21 PM PDT
"And I can only say this: My job isn't to make you comfortable; I'm a writer, not a quilt.

My job is to write out redemption."
 
wooden alphabet block craft — The Pleated Poppy
Posted: 02 Sep 2011 09:54 PM PDT
Oh, this is so easy! And Target has these blocks in pink, lime and aqua girly colors, too!
Posted: 02 Sep 2011 09:15 PM PDT
Loved this post. I think everyone, those with PPD and those without, could benefit from a list of "interventions" to help us cope and make it through the day!
Posted: 02 Sep 2011 03:00 PM PDT
I think this little "hashtag party" was the perfect way to call JC Penney out on their misogynistic product.
Posted: 02 Sep 2011 02:57 PM PDT
I hesitated to link to this because 1) as much as I LOVE Nish and LOVE A Deeper Story, I feel like this could have been written with a little, nay, a lot, more grace and 2) I think it was a bit simplistic of a post for such a complex issue.

That said, I felt like it brought up some valid points (and some that I don't agree with, as well) and especially along with reading the ensuing comments, it really got me thinking.

One commenter (who is against abortion, but supports capital punishment) said she thinks "Pro Life" means that you "value life" and I thought that was a helpful way to explain the descriptor. Because, even though I support the right to life for the criminal as well as the child, the guilty as well as the innocent, I feel like there are certain "just wars" I would not be comfortable condemning. So am I not pro-life? Realistically, I know very few true pacifists (I've met one in my life, that I know of). Anyway, it's something worth mulling over, in my opinion.
Posted: 02 Sep 2011 02:43 PM PDT
"It's not the things I do.  It's not the canning food.  It's not homeschooling or public educating.  It's not doing craft time or circle time.  It's not about nursing or bottle.

What makes me a good mama is loving my girls as unique individuals, created by the Most High God. What makes me a good mama is nurturing that hidden potential in them, in order for them to become who He created them to be.  It's me giving them a voice to sing the melodies of mysteries awaiting to be unleashed."

Yes. Just yes. Such a powerful reminder.
Posted: 02 Sep 2011 02:42 PM PDT
"My heartful eyes see. I cherish Gray's little legs in shorts with socks and shoes. He is counting down the days until he gets to go back to school he loves it that much. I can't figure out if Ivy is a mirror image of myself or if I am transforming into her. I'm mesmerized by her flair. Noah and Carter are big kids now and suddenly our neighborhood seems smaller. Their bikes go farther, out of sight. This freedom and letting go seems to come naturally, a meeting in the middle sort of thing. Happy scary love."

I love this whole paragraph. Steph writes beautifully.

Mumford and Sons Sing Come Thou Fount - Tiny Twig Goes Out on a Limb
Posted: 29 Aug 2011 12:55 PM PDT
Love this. Love them. Love.
Hope something peaked your interest!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Great first link. I think most people assume products with the pink ribbon are a wonderful thing, but knowing a cancer survivor intimate with the ins and outs of the Susan Komen Foundation- I avoid the pink ribbon completely. There are much better ways to do good.

Kristal said...

Great links as always, SD! Especially digging the first one.