Friday, October 7, 2011

Flashback Friday: Tea Party for Annie {April 2, 2011}

I thought since this week was Ann Peyton's half birthday, a very appropriate post would be the birthday post I never did. I've had it in my drafts for six months, but when Graves came I got sidetracked. I felt really bad and like I was being so unfair to her, letting him steal the virtual spotlight on the blog, but by the time I got around to doing the post it seemed awkward. Anyway, here it is now!

I decided pretty early on that I wanted this party to be super "prissy" because I knew from that point forward, until they object, I wanted to combine Annie's and Graves's parties.  So this was her last big girly party for a while!

Just like for her first birthday, I opted to make the invitations myself.  My mom had a pattern she used for one our birthday parties that looks like paper dolls and I just bought some thick patterned cardstock and went to town. 

I know they look handmade but I thought they were cute and sort of vintagey looking.

I was pretty minimalistic with the decorations, being nine months pregnant and all.  I really didn't even know if we were going have this party until the day of, so I wanted to keep it really simple.  
Since the theme was a "tea party" with your babydoll, I used some antique dolls as decorations. 

I used the same birthday banner I made for her first birthday. 

I also used these birthday cupcakes from her first party and painted a couple of small canvases to go with the tea party/baby theme.

Her first birthday, I used all twelve months, but this time I put every month's picture in an album and just did one month, six months, a year, eighteen months and two years.

I remember scampering that morning to get her picture, so I could include it in my little display.

And that was pretty much the extent of the decorations!  I didn't even get a picture of the table, but it was just a pretty table cloth with brunch foods- fruit salad and pastries- and petit fours.

I did get some cute pictures of Ann Peyton and her sweet guests:
Annie and Ms. Darlene.  And me and Baby Graves.  Ms. Darlene is my boss at Mother's Day Out, but as I've mentioned many times before, she's also a dear friend and a special mentor.

Every time Hank comes over his favorite thing to do is sweep and mop.  Wish he'd come more often!

Precious cousin with a "bite bite".

Mary Milton's momma was out of town, so she brought her grandmother.  My sweet friend Carrie looks gorgeous, but sadly, blurry!

Finally it was cake time...
We decided to go simple and get Petit Fours from a local place.  They were so good, so pretty, and so easy!

After that we opened presents!  Among other things...
...a lunchbox from Mary Milton!
...a book from Simeon!

...a "dress up dolly" from Aubrey!

...and a rockin' frog from Momma and Papa!


The party wound down and Annie got to playing.  She seemed to need a little help, but she really enjoyed her frog once she got started rockin'....

...and several of her friends did, too...


I like to do favors, but I like to be original, but also not over the top.  This year I decided to do a book!
I thought the little note helped tie it in with the theme.

Looking back over these pictures, I realized something about this party that I can't quit put into words.  It just feels very quaint and homespun.  Surprisingly, I am really okay with that.  It felt so us...so her...so thirty eight weeks pregnant momma.  It was so much fun and I can't wait to throw another fun party next year, this time for my sweet girl AND boy!

2 comments:

The Taffs said...

I love tea parties for little girls!

Party favors always baffle me: to do or not to do. I love the books that you did, very appropriate, but nothing too over the top!

Mallory Pickering said...

Mary Milton looks so serious on the frog!! :)

That was so thoughtful of Simeon--the book on NYC!

Precious party.