Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Weekly Happenings Post #140 (November 21-27)-- Dairy and Caffeine (Failed) Attempts

 Not our best: no make-up on me, Graves looks a little cra cra, and Annie is naked AND not looking.  I guess Peyton looks pretty good, though.

First of all, thank you all SO much for your helpful comments on my dairy post last week. I was really upset and I felt so much better from the encouragement and the tips.  I just needed to take a step back.  Thank y'all SO much!

You could probably tell from this post, but last week was slightly, um, miserable.  And the fact that it was miz was all my fault.  For some reason, I decided to gradually reintroduce some dairy into my diet as well as caffeine.  Why I would think it was a good idea to try both at the same time is beyond me.  I had had some caffeine a few weeks back and it seemed like no big deal, but I think it bothered Graves.  I also had some small amounts of dairy, and I still think that may have been it at the first of the week, but I think it was more the caffeine from the way he was acting (turning bright red and screaming at being generally inconsolable....the dairy thing usually presents as more of a general fussiness throughout the day and obvious gasiness.) Anyway, onto the week's happenings....

He hadn't planned on it, but his intern got sick and so Peyton ended up having to work a double on Monday.  Graves was SO fussy all day and I thought it was a dairy thing.  I had decided that I thought he could handle some creamy soups and stuff, just nothing blatant like cheese or milk.  Well, no.  It was pretty ugly.  I couldn't figure out what it was at first, but then I could hear his tummy and feel it.  It was just full of gas.  Anyway, I woke up with Peyton and we chatted a little and then I fed Graves.  He was up for about an hour from seven to eight and then went back to sleep, so I did to.  Ann Peyton ended up sleeping past ten! I was shocked, but she had had a very busy weekend and missed a lot of sleep the previous Saturday when she was up a bunch during the night.  Anyway, after that we all got up. I cleaned up the kitchen and we had "brunch" and then I pureed some green beans for Graves and started laundry.  I also got a pot roast marinating that I meant to be cooing (I didn't realize it had to marinate for eight hours).  Graves was so grumpy that everything took me forever.  I gave AP a bath and we played and I cleaned out their ears and cut their nails and then Graves fell asleep.  I put AP down pretty late and I knew she wouldn't nap. She did stay in bed for about forty five minutes and I just kind of vegged out on the computer.

Once they got up, we cleaned up the house some and then headed to my parents by way of McDonalds.  I was just kind of tired from all the crying from Graves and the whining from Annie.  I ate my second dinner with my parents and the kids both seemed to really enjoy the change of scenery.  We left early and I put them to bed right when we got home.  I got on the computer and did a bunch of stuff- organized pictures, worked on a couple of posts, went through some bookmarked posts and signed up for some sewing classes.  Peyton got home and we talked and I stared cooking that pot roast. I decided to just cook it in the crock pot over night. By the time I got everything cleaned up it was after one. 

Tuesday was another rough day.  We had MDO and Graves did okay, but he was not himself.  When we got home, I left the kids with Peyton and ran to a consignment store across town to get one of those doorway jumpers.  I got it and rushed home so Peyton could leave for work.  Graves was in full meltdown mode and stayed that way for over an hour.  I held him, put him in the swing, gave him two kinds of medicine and fixed the rice sock. I fixed AP's lunch and tried to eat some of the roast I cooked to, but I was kind of antsy at that point.  You know that feeling where your toes are curling up and you're almost shaking you're so anxious? Yeah, that.  Anyway, he FINALLY fell asleep and I put AP down for a nap.  She never did go to sleep, but she played in bed for over an hour.  I messed around on the computer for thirty minutes, cleaned up the kitchen and talked to Logan on the phone.

 I got both kids up and I was trying to get the fabric part out of the Johny Jumper and I got the whole thing so tangled up.  I don't think it comes apart and I was so frustrated.  Graves started screaming again and I nearly lost it and just took the thing and (literally) threw it in the laundry room.  I had to go to our Ultreya meeting because Peyton wasn't there to make the announcements he needed to (he's the president).  I was so tired and it took everything in me to get the kids dressed and in the car.  We made it and Graves actually seemed to like the change of scenery.  I dropped AP in the nursery, but since it was kids from the youth group keeping it and he was such a wreck all day, I decided to keep BG with me. He did pretty good and getting out was good for me, too.  We got home and I fed the kids and they both went down relatively easily.  I straightened up the house and got on the computer went to bed.

We had Bible study on Wednesday and I debated not going, with Graves in such a state.  Peyton said he'd keep AP, though, and I decided to try it.  Peyton and Annie ran errands and we had a good time at Bible study.  Graves actually seemed better.  On the way home, we ran by the grocery store to get some soap for making laundry detergent.  I picked up a few other things and got to the car and realized I hadn't paid for the soap.  UGH.  We went back in and paid (I was so glad to only have one kiddo with me at that point) and then headed home. Peyton left for work and I got the kids down for naps and ate lunch and got on the computer for a few minutes.  Then I settled in and studied up for Christian Believer since I was going to have to lead the group again.  I had to wake both kids up because our Ultreya group was serving dinner that week at the church so we had to be there before five.  I had a good time serving coffee with a sweet older lady I adore and then I fed Graves and rushed to to Bible study.  We had some good discussion, but it wasn't my favorite week.  It was pouring down rain when we left and thankfully Darlene was there to help me get both kids to the car.  No way I could have carried both of them and Peyton's turkey dinner by myself ;) We got home and I put them to bed and got on the computer and straightened the house and cleaned our bathrooms.  I went bed once Peyton got home.

I had planned to get up earlier than usual on Thursday but I ended up sleeping THIRTY minutes late.  Peyton helped me get both kids ready and we still made it on time to MDO.  It was a good day. We had turkey cookies to celebrate Thanksgiving and we stayed and helped through lunch.  We got home and I put both kids down for naps.  I got on the computer and then started getting ready because we were having my dad take some pictures for Christmas cards.  I ironed the kids clothes and got ready and then Peyton got home and we woke the babies up and got them dressed and headed to my parents' house.  We took pictures for awhile and then came home.
Terrible lighting, but I love her face here!

 [messing with the camera settings and trying to keep BG warm and happy]

I did some dishes and then got ready because I was subbing for some friends' bunco group.  I had a good time and it was nice to just breath without the kids.  I got home and Graves was back up (Peyton had managed to get him to sleep for a bit sans boobs somehow), but Annie was asleep.  I fed him and put him back to bed and we talked some and then I got on the computer.

I slept a little later than the kids because Peyton was home Friday morning.  Once I got up, I got us all ready because my mom was coming over to go with us to Handworks.  It took us awhile to get out the door, but once we got there it was fun.  I didn't find near as much I liked as I have in previous years, and the kids neither one wanted to stay in their strollers, but I'm still glad we went.  I'm SO glad my mom was there, though because we ended up hanging the umbrella stroller on the Graves's big travel system stroller and holding him and letting Ann Peyton walk.  At one point someone did offer her a sucker and I told her she could have it IF she got back in the stroller.  It was hilarious because she THREW MonkMonk (who was riding in the stroller) on the ground and climbed in as fast as she could.  Ha!  After that we had lunch at Newks and took a bridesmaid's dress for an upcoming wedding to be altered.  We came home and my mom stayed with the kids while I ran to get a present for a lingerie shower.  I got home and my mom left and we attempted naps.  Annie was in a foul mood, but she did end up playing in her bed for over an hour. Graves never did fall asleep either and so I just let him play while I folded laundry and watched Lost.  We got kind of a late start getting to my parents' for red beans and rice and so we stayed later than usual. Graves went to sleep on the way there and took a long nap in their Pack N Play (which he never does). We had a good time and both kids fell asleep in the car on the way home.  I got on the computer, heated up Peyton's beans and talked to him some when he got home.  I did dished and cleaned up the kitchen and then went to bed.  Graves slept TERRIBLY.  I figured the late nap wouldn't matter because it was close to the time when I put him down for the night anyway.  I'm still not sure if that was it or if he was still dealing with his caffeine/dairy issues.

He was awake pretty early on Saturday so we cuddled some and then Peyton left for work and I got a bath before AP woke up.  I woke her up around nine in hopes she'd take a nap and I finished getting ready while she watched Elmo and Graves played.
 sweet brother and sister

Logan gave him this outfit.  She said it looked like Peyton to her and she was so right.  So cute and funky.  And it's SO soft. My little jail bird!
 He loves playing with hair and his sweet sister usually accommodates him.  I can't believe she will because it HURTS!

I fed him and got her and me breakfast and then he took a nap.  I started laundry, straightened up some, cleaned out a storage box in the kitchen that had some of the last of the kitchen stuff from when we painted the cabinets in it (yes, I procrastinated with that).  I swept in the laundry room where the kitties had made a huge mess with their food and scratch toy and then I put the Johny Jumper back together since I had washed the seat cushion part of it.  I had to use a screwdriver and everything!  Graves woke up and I played with him and then vacuumed the bedrooms and the study and gave AP a bath.  She was SO mad about it.  She really hates having her hair washed and I can't decide if she's legitimately scared or just super bothered by it.  Either way, this time, she would not mind and she got in trouble.  I'm going to have to find a strategy or something.  I felt so productive that morning!

After her bath, she ate lunch and I grated soap and made some laundry detergent.  She went down for her nap and I nursed Graves and got him to sleep, too.  I had lunch and watched Lost and folded several loads of laundry.  I got on the computer and then got ready for a lingerie shower for my friend Amanda that I was going to that night.  Graves woke up and my mom came over to watch the babies until Peyton got home and I finished getting ready.  Momma pulled my ironing board of the the door (it's one of those that hangs) and broke it.  AHH.  My friend from college, Ashley, came over to pick me and we headed to the shower.  Poor Annie cried when I left.  The shower was fun and it was good to catch up with everyone.  I got home and Peyton had the babies in bed.  I uploaded some pictures to Facebook and fed Graves when he woke up and went to bed.

Peyton had to deliver Sunday School curriculum to the different classes and then go to work on Sunday, so the kids and I went to Sunday School and late church.  It was kind of a hassle getting them ready by myself- AP kept trying to take off her tights and fighting me about everything.  We finally got there and it was a good lesson in Sunday School about thankfulness.  The sermon in church was about slowing down and enjoying the magic of life.  Always timely!  On the way home, we went by Walmart to pick up (I know I'm crazy) something my mom found to use for favors at their birthday party in April.  Ann Peyton was still in a mood and her nose was running and I knew she felt bad.  I told her she had to get in on Graves's side of the car and she pitched a royal fit.  I was so frustrated.

We got home and I fixed her lunch and fed Graves and put them down for naps.  Annie stayed in her bed for a couple of hours, but she never went to sleep and she kept calling me in there.  Graves didn't do much better, he'd fall asleep, but he couldn't stay asleep.  I watched Lost and ate lunch and folded a really small load of laundry.  I was so tired and frazzled by the end of naptime and I just decided not to try to do much so we played and read books in AP's bed.  I did put up some laundry in their room and then I fixed their supper.  Peyton finally got home (he had to stay an hour late) and I went to bed at about 8 o'clock I was so tired. I actually ended up just putting on the mattress cover and curling up in Peyton's sleeping bag because I was too tired to put the sheets I had washed earlier back on the bed. That's bad!  I woke up before midnight and took a bath to try to get rid of my headache and I chatted some with Peyton and then went back to bed.

Really, this past week was so reminiscent of our early days as a family of four, with Graves dealing with all his "issues" and with Ann Peyton being kind of out of sorts and unlike herself, defiant even.  Those days are such a blur, but they were pretty hard.  I'm so glad that, for the most part, we're in a different phase and things are MUCH easier.  I'm looking forward to the rest of this week- we don't have "school" or church and I'm hoping to just relax and get some things done around the house!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Graves is SO cute. He's at my favorite baby age -- not really mobile but big enough to sit up and laugh and play. Love it! That striped footie thing is super cute, too.