Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Weekly Smorgasbord

Lots of Christmas posts and other (I think) interesting stuff...


    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 08:09 PM PST
    Per Peyton's Facebook...this is his pick for the GOP nomination. "Paul is an evangelical libertarian – a prophet who preaches that the United States is flat broke, foundering under the too-great weight of a bloated bureaucracy and its imperial – albeit generally well-intentioned – foreign interventionism."
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 07:53 PM PST
    I thought it was interesting to hear Holly's take on some of the issues that have (in part) caused us to decide not to "do" (as in say he's real) Santa. Good points!
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 07:51 PM PST
    I loved this post about boundaries and relationships and the holidays.
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 07:49 PM PST
    Oh, y'all. Perspective it is.
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 07:48 PM PST
    "I'd rather only fill a child's tummy than fill my house with anymore things."

    "Maybe that's always the only choice we have to make every Christmas: feed our own fickle wishes or feed the real hunger of Christ?"

    "So 'Christian hands never clasp and He doesn't give us gifts for our gain because a gift can never stop being a gift— it is always meant to be given.'"
    "When we give to Christ in the hungry, He satisfies our own hunger pangs."

    As we try to make decisions about what Christmas looks like for our family, these words stir me and challenge me to reevaluate the way we do things.
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 07:44 PM PST
    Whoa, what a sobering reminder of our military heroes and their sacrifices.
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 07:43 PM PST
    So neat to see a POSITIVE open letter.
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 07:42 PM PST
    Mainly it was the comments on this (specifically the last two) that had me rolling.
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 07:40 PM PST
    This post is BOLD. But I'm drawn to it.

    "What if a bunch of us pulled out of the system? What if we said something very radical and un-American, like: 'Our family is going to celebrate Jesus this year in a manner worthy of a humble Savior who was born to two poor teenagers in a barn and yet still managed to rescue humanity.'"

    Yeah, what if??

    the virgin mary’s drug-free birth
    Posted: 06 Dec 2011 09:43 PM PST
    "i think this is where we've lost it. we've lost the power of the cross by minimizing the awfulness. we've made the story child-proof, and in so doing, have reduced the gift to nothing more than a Precious Moments nativity scene."

    Library of Congress to receive entire Twitter archive - FederalNewsRadio.com
    Posted: 06 Dec 2011 09:08 PM PST
    "There have been studies involved with what are the moods of the public at various times of the day in reaction to certain kinds of news events," Lefurgy said. "There's all these interesting kinds of mixing and matching that can be done using the tweets as a big set of data." Kinda cool. Kinda weird.
    Posted: 06 Dec 2011 08:48 PM PST
    I found this article via a link from the post directly below. To me this kind of topic is so fascinating. I personally, on a typical day, have no qualms being identified primarily as a mom. I guess there are times, though, when it does sting a bit to feel like that is ALL the world perceives me as.
    Posted: 06 Dec 2011 08:41 PM PST
    LOVE this. "While there are few labels I'd want to wear as my only identifiers, there would be no shame in one of those being mom. Or believer, wife, daughter or friend. The parts of my life I'm most passionate about and engaged in are going to be the easiest to identify me by, and probably the most accurate."

    "I think what she's hinting at is the fear that women, unlike most men, are minimized by parenthood."

    "But I think the writer missed the mark. While there are few labels I'd want to wear as my only identifiers, there would be no shame in one of those being mom. Or believer, wife, daughter or friend. The parts of my life I'm most passionate about and engaged in are going to be the easiest to identify me by, and probably the most accurate. "For people to believe I can contribute anything less to society because I am a mother makes little sense at its heart: if anything, I am contributing society. Little people. A future generation."
    Posted: 06 Dec 2011 08:11 PM PST
    Obviously, this is an issue Peyton and I have become really interested in lately. I think this article is a great resource!
    Posted: 06 Dec 2011 07:36 PM PST
    Interesting thoughts, most of which line up right along side what we believe.
    Posted: 06 Dec 2011 02:26 PM PST
    After I found this blog via a link on Twitter, I ran across this post and I thought it was interesting. I think a lot of times I am guilty of being easily offended because I'm too self focused. [Although other times its just because I'm too sensitive.]
    Posted: 06 Dec 2011 01:55 PM PST
    Interesting post about how babies actually DON'T cost that much.

    "If they are really interested in cutting expenses, they could breastfeed, cloth diaper, and skip preschool. Besides the very nominal start up cost of buying the cloth diapers, all those things are FREE."

    Enjoy!

    2 comments:

    Megan said...

    Everyone is up in arms about the Suze Orman talk with that couple, but I watched that episode (and read the post you linked to) and just wanted to make a couple of points...

    That couple, living on 2 incomes, was already spending more than they made every month. They called in to Suze to ask if they could go down to 1 income and have the mom stay home. Even if you assume that adding a second child would add no expenses due to breast-feeding, cloth diapers, etc… they simply cannot afford to cut their monthly income in half. They weren’t making ends meet on both incomes– how would they suddenly pay all their bills if they cut it down to 1?

    The bottom line point that Suze was making is that they need to get their finances in order before they can go down to 1 income (and probably before adding a second child).

    Just wanted to point that out!

    amanda said...

    I really enjoy your weekly smorgasbord! This one particularly spoke to me. I, too, have noticed how much cheaper having a baby is than I ever imagined. I got a ton of hand me down gear (something I probably wouldnt have accepted if I were a bit younger-not because young people wouldn't just because I was naive-amd saved so much money on that stuff that only gets used for a bit. I've splurged on some boutique stuff-only on deep discount or cheap facebook sales, or consignment sales, and some toys, but mostly because he's my first and I really wanted to. We cloth diaper, breastfed, and made our own food, so we rarely purchase any necessities. And we took advantage of our loved ones' generosity at our first showers to get the stuff we really needed but didn't have.

    I also enjoyed the Santa posts. I decided to allow Santa, but we will not be doing the whole naughty and nice. Santa gives out of love in response to Christ. We get even what we don't deserve-true grace. I'm going to try my hardest not to convince him he's real when he's figured out the truth (even though I want to hold onto that magic innocence and know it'll be hard for me). And there will be no elf on the shelf for us. A glorified tattle tale certainly doesn't convey the message I'm hoping to spread.