Friday, December 16, 2011

Weekly Smorgasbord

Links from this past week:



Posted: 16 Dec 2011 09:14 PM PST
Another neat way (see"Donate a Safe Delivery" link below) to actively contribute to positive birth experiences.
Posted: 16 Dec 2011 09:11 PM PST
HAHA!
Posted: 16 Dec 2011 09:06 PM PST
"However, "modest is hottest" also perpetuates (and complicates) this objectification of women by equating purity with sexual desire. The word "hot" is fraught with sexual undertones. It continues a tradition in which women are primarily objects of desire, but it does so in an acceptable Christian way." Interesting.
Posted: 16 Dec 2011 08:29 PM PST
Peyton and I were talking about the boycotting issue (in part from a fair trade perspective, in part due to some friends of ours who don't donate to Susan G. Komen due to their association with the abortion provider Planned Parenthood) and I shared with him about the Nestle boycott. He had never heard of it. So sad that babies in developing nations DIE because of unethical formula marketing (and obviously, this is totally different from the decision to bottle fed in a developed country like the US, so don't hear me attacking anyone, please). Anyway, guess there's another thing to add to the list.
Posted: 15 Dec 2011 10:34 PM PST
Language warning. This post is a bit crude, but I think it's just comical the way some people go overboard with their elves!
Posted: 15 Dec 2011 03:13 PM PST
Okay, y'all know by this time that I am not hardcore against spanking (and neither is Peyton in some situations). We are (him particularly) not comfortable with using it as a primary form of discipline, however. Still, I link to this post with hesitation, because I don't want to be misunderstood. The reason I am linking to it is because I had a terrible, exhausting, loose my temper and almost all control, night with Annie last week. And after discussing it with a lot of women whom I really respect and whose opinions are very valuable to me, I got not one answer different from "Well, if you just spanked her once it would probably fix the situation".

And, you see, that puts me in a difficult situation.  Because I want to honor Peyton.  If I had a firmly held conviction, I would expect him to honor it. I simply can't, in good conscious, do something that goes against what he believes.  So, after these discussions, I felt like I was once again up a creek without a paddle.  I just wanted some advice and encouragement that took his view into account.

And I found it.

Also, weird that the little girl's name is Anne and she shares a room with her two years younger brother.  Because, y'all? The shared room has been great for the most part, but it really compounds the problem in this kind of situation.  Anyway, irony abounds.  
Posted: 15 Dec 2011 02:50 PM PST
I've been stumbling through the weeks here lately, to be perfectly honest. Somehow, I stumbled upon this post and it occurred to me that part of the problem is that we are simply doing to much. By many people's standards, we probably aren't over committed at all, but it's been too much for me and too much for the kids and I'm done. After Christmas, we're reevaluating and probably saying "no" a lot more often. I've been reading through Sarah's "Practices of Mothering" and I could probably link to every one I've read so far. I love the way her home seems so calm and tranquil. I don't want my kids (or myself) to look back at these early days and remember a rat race and a frazzled momma.
Posted: 15 Dec 2011 02:25 PM PST
Even on sale, it's kind of expensive, but I *love* this nativity/advent calendar combo. I've been looking for a nativity for AP and I think this is PERFECT.
Posted: 15 Dec 2011 02:23 PM PST
I thought this was so cool and then I came up with an idea-- we decided that every year on our children's birthdays, we are going to give a donation in their honor so another baby can have a healthier birth!

Spanking children: A guide for the science-minded
Posted: 14 Dec 2011 11:50 AM PST
Peyton and I have been having a lot of conversations re: our spanking decision. I thought this article was really fair in how it treated the issue. I'm one who is usually skeptical about statistics on behavioral issues. It's easy for me to see things like breastfeeding or birth decisions as more clear cut, but with spanking and CIO and those sort of things I think it is MUCH easier to twist the data and spin things.  Anyway, I'm not saying there's not a bias at all, but among the articles I've read, this is one of the better ones.
Enjoy!

No comments: