Monday, January 2, 2012

January Happenings

 I think this may be my favorite header to date.  I thought using the Instagrams would be fun and different and I think it turned out cute.  I also have to say that one of my favorite things each month is finding a relevant quote for the header. I see it probably daily and it's important to me to pick a meaningful one.  I'm determined to have so many "best days" this year.  I also really like the new background- it's not as "cutesy" as some of the previous ones and honestly, I think it's more me.  I hate that there's going to come a day when I'm going to run out of three column backgrounds to choose from (the blog only has two columns, but a wide middle one, so I have to use three column backgounds).  At some point, I do have a goal of becoming more skilled at doing the whole shabang myself.  I've done it once, but it was a little time consuming.  I'm sure I'll figure it out!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whew...thank goodness it's January!  I feel like I can breath a little better this week now that all the holiday obligations are over and all the time sensitive stuff is done.  Last month wore me out with the floors and everything and I'm glad things are a little bit more relaxed.  Anyway, here's the update:

- The floors still aren't actually done, but they will be soon.  We moved all our stuff back in to try and let the grout dry for a couple of weeks and not a whole lot happened.  Elliot had a great idea to "paint" the bricks with cooking oil and in the spots where he's done it it's made it look much more consistent and all the same color.  It's darker than what we planned on the area where the grout shows between the bricks, but it looks fine so we're going to do the whole thing that way.  It should be done soon!

- We're starting back to Mother's Day Out this week and our normal Bible study schedule and all that will resume the next.  I'm glad- I really enjoy the routine!

- We don't have a whole bunch on the agenda for January and I'm really glad of that, too.

- One thing that I am SO excited about is that my friend Ashley is coming into town.  I can't wait to visit and catch up!

- We also have a party this weekend to celebrate the marriage of one of my friends from high school.  I'm sure there will be a lot of people from high school there and I'm super excited about that.

- Peyton's new schedule has him only working every third weekend and it's an AMAZING blessing that I don't think I'll ever take for granted.  Even though his schedule is crazy at times and I do grind my teeth a lot when I'm doing bedtime by myself for that fifth night in a row, it really does work for us.  I love that on days like today he didn't go in to work until 1:30 in the afternoon.  On the days he works nights or midshifts he actually gets more time with the kids and they (and I, of course!) love having him here!

- I think I'm going to try something new this year and instead of making a list of goals and resolutions at the begin of the year, I'm going to try to make a few each month and really be intentional about those.  There's this whole one word movement thing about choosing one word to focus on this year and I think I am going to do that, but I still have to pick my word. Anyway, I'm not going to ever set more than three goals a month and sometimes it may be fewer.  This months goals are:
1. To be more intentional about prioritizing time with Peyton in the evenings.  I have let the computer and it's siren call woo me away from my husband one too many times.  And y'all, as much as I adore you to pieces, our relationship is not representative of Christ and the church, it is not of paramount significance in the raising of our children, and it's not one that I pledged my life to in a holy covenant.  I'm going to try to keep that in focus.
2. To finish this ever lovin' kitchen.  I want the floors done, but I also want to finish a craft project and a sewing project and I want to paint the attached sunroom and the shelving unit that goes in the laundry room.  It may not get done and that's fine, but it's a goal.
3. To spend time in the Word in some form every.single.day. Weather it be a Bible study, a short devotion with accompanying Scripture, or just picking up the thing itself and flipping around I want to be intentional about making it more of a priority.

Here's to a relaxing, enjoyable January!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this post and your goals! I think it is a good idea to take a few at time and work toward them!

Katie Smith said...

Have you heard about a book called The Happiness Project? It's really interesting - the author employed the same method you mention of making a handful of goals/resolutions each month and being very intentional about them. You should check it out! I'm going to try to do this myself this year, and I'm really excited! I thought the book was a very fascinating read (obviously :) )