Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

This week has several links from one blog. I feel like sometimes I find a blog I love and I get hooked. It takes a lot of self control not to link EVERY post. I've been going back on this particular blog and reading some and I just loved so much of it.



Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:36 PM PST
This really opened my eyes. Mainly because, with my anxiety, finding out this much detail about human atrocities in the FIRST grade would have SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME. Peyton and I were in bed talking about this the other night and it really further cemented our decision to homeschool our kids at least in the early years. I just don't want someone else filling my kids' heads with ideas that they are so not equipped to handle.
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:33 PM PST
This was a neat post about how one parent is often the Disciplinarian and the other is the Softie and what a good balance that makes. I'm sure some people would be surprised, but I think Peyton is more strict than me most of the time. I probably have more rules (because he doesn't care about AP wearing a tacky outfit to Target or something), but the rules he has he enforces really well. I will say (as I've said before) that I feel like discipline isn't just punishment; it encompasses the teaching/correcting part of the process, too.
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:28 PM PST
This. I want this for my kids. A nice LONG childhood.
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:27 PM PST
"Enough with the obscene excess while the rest of the world is burning down outside our windows. Enough with the waste as 25,000 people die today of hunger, while I throw away another pound of food we didn't get around to eating. Enough with the debt, the spending, the amassing, the irresponsibility, the indulgence, the fake discipleship, the rat race, the hamster wheel, the power and positioning and posturing with a hunger still for more, more, more, all the while pretending to follow a Jesus who didn't even have a place to lay his head." Now I want to read this. Gotta read Radical first, though.
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:20 PM PST
Such a beautiful post on the return of a soldier.
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:19 PM PST
I'm doing this!
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:19 PM PST
"The best part, January, is that it's all somehow unexpected, like no one believes you can compete with the drama of December. Thing is, you don't even try. Your gift is more substance, less show. You are reality. Like the gift of a good chef's knife, you are both prized and practical. You make even the routine of everyday a little radical."

I'm so glad it's here.
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:18 PM PST
"Darling, it's all a mess. We don't know what we're doing half the time and later tonight we're going to hang out in the front street, watching Anne ride her bike and Joe launch rockets and Evelynn resting in your strong arms. I'll think to myself, tonight, like I do every night, I love you more. Grow old with me, my love, these are the days we'll remember someday."

So incredibly beautiful.
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:17 PM PST
"I know some people think New Year's Resolutions are dumb, and self-improvement is some sort of silly psychological stuff, but I feel it's my duty to God-to this gift of life I have been given-to work hard on shedding the weakness of our humanness and strive to become the person He intended me to be every day. And the awesome twist in achieving strides toward being the best person-a virtuous person-is that the rewards are all mine. He takes none for His self-this is not me sacrificing and working FOR someone else-I am the one that reaps the direct benefit every single day. What would be stopping me? Weakness. Laziness. It was a challenge to myself. I don't want to be either of those-weak or lazy-when it comes to any part of my life. And I know have the God-given strength to be neither."
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:15 PM PST
"Since 2009, I've chosen a word to guide each year. Or, more accurately I suppose (though I know it sounds quite mystical), a word chooses me. It's never an easy word and every year without fail, I groan a little bit as soon as the word lands in my thoughts."

I love this idea.
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:14 PM PST
"I try to operate from the standpoint that they want to be good and my job is to help them navigate, with grace, the mistakes and missteps that naturally come with the enormous job of growing up to love God and love people well."

This was a really profound thing to think about.
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:13 PM PST
"In Christ, I am loved. I have value beyond my productivity or accomplishments or choices as a person and as a mother." "And it helps me to look first to God instead of my tinies to define me. Because that's a terrible burden to place on our children, isn't it? Make me feel valuable! Make me feel worthy! Make me feel loved! It's too much to expect anyone to give you that sense of belonging and worth, let alone your tinies."

PREACH.
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 09:11 PM PST
I think parenting young children (and old ones, I've heard) is a little like climbing Mount Everest...They try because during the climb, if they allow themselves to pause and lift their eyes and minds from the pain and drudgery, the views are breathtaking. They try because even though it hurts and it's hard, there are moments that make it worth the hard. Even though any climber will tell you that most of the climb is treacherous, exhausting, killer. That they literally cried most of the way up." "Anyway. Clearly, Carpe Diem doesn't work for me. I can't even carpe fifteen minutes in a row, so a whole diem is out of the question."

I *loved* this post (as did at least 1300 other people who commented). So true. And I've struggled so often with those feelings of not only "Why am I doing this all wrong?" but also "Why isn't every blessed moment pure joy?" Since this is the only thing I've wanted to do my whole freaking life. Such perfect words.

Baby Mamas (Put a Sling On 'Em) - YouTube
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 08:48 PM PST
Oh my word, so hilarious!
Posted: 08 Jan 2012 12:58 PM PST
Peyton shared this with me. Obviously, we baptize infants at our church, but I still think there is a lot to be gained from this video. Specifically the idea that it's better to engage children in an ongoing dialogue about faith and let them determine when they accept Christ rather than asking them point blank if they're ready to.
 
Chapel's Adoption Story | the feature on Vimeo
Posted: 06 Jan 2012 01:28 PM PST
WHOA. What a powerful story- it's long, but so worth it!
Enjoy!

No comments: