Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Here are last week's posts:


    Posted: 24 Jan 2012 06:07 PM PST
    "We are tethered to our own usefulness, big-headed with our own accomplishments, crushed by our shortcomings. We miss the soul breath. We miss the smallness, the doorway through which we must walk to find freedom from the ever moving treadmill of time. Even if we steal time from our productivity to find the sitter, pack the bags, pay the money, sit through the layovers and fly to the shore to relax, sometimes once we get there we forget how. And I realized as I tapped my foot on sand that I have shed my truest identity. Instead of being the beloved, I feel more like the doloved."

    I constantly feel "tethered to my usefulness". Can I just be?
    Posted: 24 Jan 2012 06:02 PM PST
    This is one I'm linking to less for the actual content and more for the thoughts it provoked. Peyton and I talked about this awhile back and how we feel so BLESSED because we have a good many friends (mostly at church and a few couple friends) whom we would feel totally comfortable with them disciplining our children. I think it's neat to be able to have friends close enough you can feel confident putting that trust in their hands.
    Posted: 24 Jan 2012 05:58 PM PST
    "There is just no dignity when you are pushing a double stroller. The kind gestures and open doors you get when you are pregnant? Those completely disappear when you are trying to squeeze this monstrosity through a swinging door, with two other children in tow. I always felt as though I could exchange that thing for a shopping cart of my belongings in trashbags and the level of disdain from the general public would be about the same. The world is not kind to the double stroller dependent. Being untethered from this thing feels like a new level of freedom. I'm walking a little taller now. Literally."

    I'm not sure I totally agree. There is the occasionally person that helps you out, but they always look at you like you're so pitiful.  Again, less about the content, more about my feelings. This post is bigger than a double stroller because it had me thinking about a lot of things. We are packing up so many baby things with the knowledge that it's going to be awhile before they come out again. I've got our big travel system stroller ready to go to the attic and to be honest, there is a bit of pain and fear that comes with it because, although we want more children, we've decided (assuming it's God's will- we're always open to surprises, hehe) we want a bigger space between Graves and our third.  It's been a complicated thing to process lately and clearly it deserves it's own post.  Which I will probably write soon.
    Posted: 24 Jan 2012 05:55 PM PST
    Found this via Ann Voskamp. Cannot get enough.
    Posted: 23 Jan 2012 10:42 PM PST
    This made me so angry. In fact, I had to retype this about five times to take out all the expletives. There is a part of me that really wants to put my hands around the last lady's neck and strangle her like she did her babies. But that's not Christ. The other part of me wants to find a woman like her and tell her not to kill her child- WE WILL TAKE HER. And love her. And tell her she's a little princess, just like we do Ann Peyton. Dammit, I want to so bad now.
    Posted: 23 Jan 2012 10:32 PM PST
    "...with admiration for the greatness of what you are building when no one sees"

    "At times my invisibility has felt like an affliction to me. But it is not a disease that is erasing my life. It is the cure for the disease of self centeredness; it is the antidote to my own pride."
    Posted: 23 Jan 2012 10:08 PM PST
    "I hesitate in venting because when I'm doing that it so often seems that other mothers assume I'm saying I win the Hardest Award, or that I'm wishing away my life. But I'm not. I'm just talking. I'm seeking validation and there is nothing more refreshing than another mother who simply sees me and acknowledges The Hard and nods and says, Yes, it's so hard, isn't it? The End."

    Yup.
    Posted: 23 Jan 2012 10:08 PM PST
    Seeing a theme here? Also, love this:

    "Strong enough to be left. That's what we're trying to become, ladies. In one very large sense, we are never left - our identities are in ourselves, not in our children. And many of us are blessed with spouse-best-friends who will, Lord-willing, grow old with us. But in a very real sense, they are all going to leave. They will fly the coop, just like I did, just like Paul did, just like any healthy person does. We leave. So will the children. We pray it every day."

     I mean, I also hate it though.
    Posted: 23 Jan 2012 10:06 PM PST
    This post was so honest. I love it when I read a blog and someone lets me in and trusts me with their secret thoughts.
    Posted: 23 Jan 2012 10:01 PM PST
    "'I know," I answered. "But none of the other girls have five children in their family. The fact that we get to work for your lessons is actually a generous opportunity from the studio owner. We should be thankful.'"

    I want my children to experience this. Having to work for something that's important to them.

    Enjoy!

    1 comment:

    Mary Louis Quinn said...

    I pulled up that You Tube video but had to turn it off right after that Indian guy said that more girls are "eliminated" in India and China than are born in the US each year. My heart, especially in this pregnant state, just couldn't handle that kind of horrific info. So incredibly sad, and makes me that much more thankful for my little girls. How a *mother* could do something like that is beyond me (and I'm aware that it has such strong cultural roots that the issue is deeper than that, but still).