Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

This week's wonderful links:




    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 09:36 PM PST
    Truth.
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 09:36 PM PST
    "A common misbelief about sex trafficking is that the United States is only a destination country, that all of the victims of sex slavery within the U.S. have been carried across international borders. The truth is that literally untold numbers of U.S. citizens are trafficked within our own borders and in our neighborhoods every year."

    "We must pursue sexual holiness and boldly teach our children that the threshold for healthy sexuality only begins at sex within marriage. We are called to be God's light in the world and this starts with prayer. We must recognize that our fight is not against the traffickers or the johns, but the powers and principalities over this present darkness. If we combat these forces in the spiritual realm, bonds will break and we will have access to the brokenness of the commercial sex industry.  We must stop idolizing straight, married sex. We must pursue sexual holiness as something more than meeting these biblical standards; sexuality must of course be purspursued within Biblical boundaries, but it is so much more than the boundaries themselves. If we live in the land of sexual holiness instead of on the boundary markers, we can show the beauty of mutual respect and love in intimate relationships and compel the world toward a higher calling. We must value those in prostitution as beloved children in a world that so quickly condemns them (John 8:3-11)."
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 09:32 PM PST
    This is how you do an apology. You own it. You don't delete the old post. You just apologize. So refreshing.
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 09:31 PM PST
    Um, yes, I struggle with this. Probably anyone who really likes the Internet does, though, right? I guess probably most people from our generation can relate, though.  Heck, not even our generation.  I physically laughed out loud just now thinking of the many nights when I was in high school that I would find my precious mom up playing computer solitaire in the wee hours of the morning.  Bless Minnie's heart, she lives for digital single player card games.
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 09:30 PM PST
    Possibly I mainly love this letter for this phrase: "the Boss on vinyl—Nebraska, that grand, sultry album."
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 09:29 PM PST
    "You've known it four times now, the way my body sprawls all out for a baby. To my surprise and possibly also to yours, I would grow, skin stretch, and you still found me what you wanted." I am in love with this "Marriage Letters" series. Gotta go back and read them all.
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 09:28 PM PST
    Such beautiful writing. Such a poignant experience.
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 09:27 PM PST
    "If we don't like someone's preaching or teaching or writing, we brand them an 'enemy of the Gospel.'"

    "When we brand each other as enemies, we become the enemy of the Gospel."
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 09:24 PM PST
    "1. Don't take too much credit for their good. "
    "2. Don't take too much credit for their bad."
    "3. Don't try to raise a good child. Raise a God-following adult."

    My mom was so good at not worrying about us being "good girls". She told me that once before. I'm sure that was hard for her, because she's very much into etiquette and being "respectable"...as I've said before, she works at a bridal registry and considers it a noble calling to inform the uneducated brides of today what a demitasse cup is. And yet? She let go of those things a LOT, especially with me. She focused on the important. My character. Not her appearance.
    Enjoy them!

    1 comment:

    Carrie said...

    It cracks me up that your mom stayed up late playing Solitaire. My mom is the exact same way. She is a Solitaire/Freecell/Hearts FREAK! I mean, she keeps up with her stats and everything. Hahaha! I just don't get it...