Friday, February 10, 2012

Farewell, Clifford



Clifford was my 4Runner.  In college, in typical elementary education major fashion, I dubbed him "Clifford the Big Red Car".  Clifford holds such a special place in my heart.  He wasn't my first car, but he was the first car that was bought intentionally for me (I drove my dad's Mazda for about a year and a half after I got my license). I have so many memories of dating Peyton, taking trips to Oxford and Destin, driving around in Clinton with my college friends, and driving back and forth from Clinton to my parents' house late at night and early in the morning.



I loved the 4Runner for more than mere sentiments, too, though.  I am obviously not a big car person in general, as evidenced by the fact that I'm in my mid twenties and drive a Buick.  Also evidenced by the fact that I could not even tell you the model of my Buick.  It's white and it's an old woman car.  Enough said. But, the 4Runner was just so me.  I loved the color, first of all.  And it was just a great car.  It had a fun, "cool" feel, but it wasn't at all pretentious.  It wasn't cutesy and it wasn't sleek.  But I loved what it was.  Practical.  Big.  Sharp.  Red. 

However, it was time to say goodbye.  Actually, past time.  We've had three cars for several years now...since I got my grandmother's Buick when she passed away.  We really have no need for three cars and while it was nice for hauling stuff, it just made less and less sense to keep it.  It was hard for me to get the babies in and out of and I never felt like their seats stayed secure (although Peyton figured that out- he wasn't pulling the belts out far enough).  And it was costing us several hundred dollars a year to insure it and get tags.  It had terrible gas milage.  All that was money we could be putting on paying off our house.  As was the money we could get for it if we sold it when it was still in good running condition. 

Still, I never would have been ready on my own.  And Peyton's too sweet to pressure me. Recently, though, some of our good friends from church, a couple that's between our age and our parents' age, approached us about possibly buying it for their high school aged daughter.  Their daughter is PRECIOUS and she keeps the nursery when we have Ultreya or Circle meetings and Annie loves her.  At first I was hesitant, but the more we thought of it, the more it made sense.  So we decided to go ahead and sell it.  I'm so glad that it went to a good home.

But I will miss him.  So very much.

You'll always have a special place in our hearts, Clifford.

2 comments:

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Oh, hope you aren't missing Clifford too much! I cried last April when we sold my jeep for a minivan! It had been my car for close to ten years and you are right there are lots of memories! You made a smart choice and I am so jealous about your amazing progress paying down your mortgage. That will be awesome when you are finished!!!!

Morgan said...

Sweet! I'm proud of you, Denley!