Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Links for this week:



    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:18 PM PST
    I can't really believe this was even an issue. She had a cover, for goodness sake! Also, the comment from Jessica's husband (Mathew Paul Turner) is really great from a man's perspective, I thought.
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:16 PM PST
    Really important post here.
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:16 PM PST
    This was really interesting. And scary. But good for me to read.
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:14 PM PST
    "I often see parents treating a "temper tantrum" or "freak out" as something to be punished or ignored. This approach makes me uncomfortable for several reasons. 1) it teaches the child that his extreme emotions are unacceptable and, 2) it teaches the child that he must figure out how to deal with his emotions by himself (or else he will be punished or ignored)."

    This is an interesting theory and something I'll have to mull over. Another post promised to you once I can process and articulate my thoughts.
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:12 PM PST
    "Let's decide today, to begin to strip our minds of what the beautiful standards are. We can continue to paint our nails and comb our hair, but in this age of Pinterest and all else, let us not let the beautiful standards define us. Let us not look to impossible things to define us."
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:12 PM PST
    "Simultaneously, I thought, 'I AM SO BLESSED! I LOVE MY LIFE!" and "OH MY WORD, WILL I EVER HAVE A MOMENT TO MYSELF AGAIN? I AM LOSING MY EVER LOVIN' MIND!'"

    Ahh, yes.
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:11 PM PST
    "You know, much of the pain in childbirth is related to our own fear and resistance. Dr. Sears called it the Fear-Tension-Pain Cycle because we're afraid so we hold back and tense up so there is more pain so there is more fear and on it goes, around and around. So to interrupt the cycle, we need to surrender to the process, to lean into the pain. It seems counter-intuitive, we should run from pain, right? But believe it: leaning into the pain makes giving birth easier."
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:09 PM PST
    "It's what my mother said too, Ann: When it is hardest — that is when you sing the loudest. The devil flees at a hymn."

    Yes.
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:08 PM PST
    She does it again! Great post. I have my own "7 inspired" idea for Lent. I'm planning a post about it soon.
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:07 PM PST
    Interesting question. I really liked the idea of "You have a beautiful family".
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:06 PM PST
    Powerful post. Warming...parts are um, scandalous.
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:06 PM PST
    "I cried because I felt safe."

    "I cried because making love to him was much-needed refuge from our life outside our bedroom, which, right now, is steeped in unknowns and curve balls; details that seem bent on driving us apart rather than together."

     Truly beautiful post.  Again, view with discretion.

    25 Extremely Upsetting Reactions To Chris Brown At The Grammys
    Posted: 12 Feb 2012 09:09 PM PST
    This is so distressing to me.
    Posted: 12 Feb 2012 08:17 PM PST
    Very interesting cost comparison of cloth vs. disposables
    Posted: 10 Feb 2012 09:07 PM PST
    "I look at them and I want them to know their beauty. I want them to know that they are not model-gorgeous or Hollywood-gorgeous or (God help me) toddlers-with-tiaras gorgeous, and I want them to know this because they are real-person beautiful, stunning each, loved and important and out to better this world with their presence."

    "It's holy work, seeking beauty, and not just in the oldie-but-goodie 'we're made in God's image' way, but in that I'm building two confident women and a nurturing man. The best way I can make the world a better place is by sending my little people out into it as the most compassionate they can be, and so I tattoo this message beneath their skins, in their hearts and in their sights and in their bloodstreams: this world is filled with beauty. That person is filled with beauty. You are filled with beauty."

     Oh my word. READ THIS. One of my favorite posts ever.
    Posted: 10 Feb 2012 09:03 PM PST
    "When I instead embrace that this beautiful child is quite possibly the best teacher I've ever had, I enjoy mothering so much more."
    Posted: 10 Feb 2012 01:17 PM PST
    There's a big controversy about if this dad's behavior should be applauded or condemned. I don't think it's appropriate to publicly embarrass his daughter, but I do think that there are a lot of really disrespectful kids whose parents did not raise them to be that way. What I don't get is why he shot the laptop.  It seems like his point would have been made more effectively if he gave it to someone (maybe a college student) that could use it and could otherwise not afford one.
    Posted: 10 Feb 2012 12:54 PM PST
    This was a really good reminder about something that I know will be hard for me. I want to set standards for my children and I want them to know that we never want them to compromise their values, but I also want our relationship with them to be "safe".
    Enjoy!

    1 comment:

    Robin noteverstill said...

    Oh! Thank you for including me :)