Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Wow. Lots of links this week. I've been going back at some bookmarked articles from a long time ago. I also read someone else's "link list" type post and found several interesting ones. Anyway, here's last week's links:



Posted: 21 Feb 2012 09:12 PM PST
This was an interesting perspective from a working mom. First of all, disclaimer: I know not every working mom probably feels this way.

Here's the thing, I feel like I rarely if ever have my stuff together, but I probably blame myself WAY more. Because it's so much more a result of my own laziness than her's is. I have a couple of hours almost every day when both kids are napping and typically I do not spend it being productive. At least not the whole time. I do a lot of housework, ect., when they are awake, too, and I probably neglect Peyton more than I should. And I don't have that extra, um, forty hour a week responsibility.
Posted: 21 Feb 2012 08:20 PM PST
The first of two articles on "blogging controversies" that I read this week.
Posted: 21 Feb 2012 08:19 PM PST
"It was a hurried prayer because I was nearing the drop-off line and it wasn't eloquent because my out-loud prayers never are (please don't send me hate mail, but I get suspicious of eloquent out-loud prayers because they feel contrived and inauthentic to me, like putting on a show or using them as teaching moments while pretending to talk to God. I guess I just think that if you really really mean it, it comes out as messy as you feel, and we all feel very very messy.)"

Yep.
Posted: 21 Feb 2012 08:18 PM PST
"I realize, I do, that you used to be fed in more ways, used to be held closer, close enough to run your hand along my arm. The longer we're married, the more perspective I have on phases, how there's another side to this."

So beautiful.
Posted: 21 Feb 2012 03:17 PM PST
"What am I cultivating? My marriage, or my platform? My children, or my blog? My home, or my credentials? My heart, or my God's?"

This was a powerful post and it was one of three times I've heard something similar this week. I wonder if maybe it's a call to step back?
Posted: 21 Feb 2012 03:16 PM PST
"If we're going to suggest that Jesus' silence is a kind of consent then don't we also have to accept the possibility that Jesus' silence suggests He accepted the Judaic view? To me, that seems only honest."

 I don't necessarily agree with this whole post, but that right there was an awesome point I never thought of.
Posted: 21 Feb 2012 03:15 PM PST
"Has shame ever helped a woman? This is just the other side of that same "You're not enough" coin. One side telling us that we are not enough because we are not thin and the other telling us that we are not enough because we are not curvy. The coin is flipped–over and over–and all we "win" is the Divide-and-Conquer strategy of the enemy for the daughters of God, a planting and tending of that old Compare-and-Contrast seed of jealousy, undermining relationships, courage, guts, friendship, vulnerability, sisterhood. We won't shame each other into wholeness."

AMEN.
Posted: 21 Feb 2012 03:13 PM PST
Such a sweet post!
Posted: 21 Feb 2012 03:12 PM PST
"Long before Facebook when parents were forced to use face-to-face conversation to brag on their kids (I MEAN, can you even?), my grandmother used to smile knowingly and say, 'every mama crow think her babies are the blackest.'" "I have pretty much stepped right into that truth and rolled around in it."

Isn't it so true?
Posted: 21 Feb 2012 02:20 PM PST
Interesting piece on blogging controversies (specifically in the Christian community).
Posted: 21 Feb 2012 01:08 PM PST
My favorite this time is when girlfriend is squirting breastmilk in her buys' eyes with a dropper.
welcome to my brain . net: Why I hate the party system
Posted: 20 Feb 2012 03:00 PM PST
"Shulz exposes (SPOTLIGHT) how most of use a "series of unfortunate assumptions" to do this:
1. The Ignorance Assumption. We assume they don't have access to the same information we do, but if they did, SURELY we would agree. When we then discover that, in fact, they DO have the same information, we move to the second assumption.
2. The Idiocy Assumption. We have to think that they have all the information they need, but must be too stupid to figure out what is right. Yet, sometimes this involves people we know and we can't ignore the fact that we believe some of these people actually have a reasonable degree of intelligence. So, we then move along to a third assumption to solidify our rightness.
3. The Evil Assumption. "They know they truth, and they are deliberately distorting it for their own malevolent purposes.""
Posted: 20 Feb 2012 02:57 PM PST
This is interesting because I was JUST talking to a friend about this phenomenon (in which the mom does everything to take care of the kids and the house while the husband lays around watching TV).  I guess the dynamic is slightly different if you're a SAHM, but to be honest depending on your kids' ages and temperament, the number of them you have, and so on....I don't think it has to. I'm really thankful Peyton and I have a good flow and I'm honestly AMAZED by mom's I know whose husbands hardly know how to care for their children if they are sick or away. Okay, and I'm equally amazed by husbands/daddies that load ALL the dishes and know where clean sheets are (looking at you David Howie).
Posted: 20 Feb 2012 02:46 PM PST
Very interesting- who gets to "tell the story"?
Posted: 20 Feb 2012 02:42 PM PST
Powerful post from a foster mom.

Fornication, adultery, and the UMC | John Meunier
Posted: 19 Feb 2012 10:37 PM PST
"In our culture, we tend to frown much more on adultery than fornication. My theory is that we do this because we don't really consider either a sin. What we object to is the broken promise. Cheating on your spouse hurts that person and violates a commitment. We almost never speak of it as an affront to God, though, which explains why we find adultery easy to condemn but speak hardly at all about fornication – unless it is concern about diseases and pregnancy."

Very interesting. I find this to be SO true.
Posted: 19 Feb 2012 10:21 PM PST
This is kind of interesting. Personally, I think the crunchy/hippie thing is a cute way to describe something that's obviously much deeper than that. I also think it's so funny because I never, EVER thought I'd have a bit of that in me. And I'm not hardcore crunchy. We're actually a bit of a conundrum over here with our cloth dipes under our smocked bubbles and our homemade baby food right next to our Debbie Snacks, but it is what it is.
Posted: 19 Feb 2012 10:08 PM PST
"Be bold about your weaknesses and you will change people's lives. Be honest about who you actually are, and others will begin to be their actual selves around you."
Posted: 17 Feb 2012 10:31 PM PST
"The genre allows the rapper to cram loads of biblical and theological content in a single verse. I think we love hearing the Scripture 'preached' lyrically. Second, there is a 'cool factor,' which has helped bridge generational and cultural divides. But we can't explain this without acknowledging the sovereign workings of God."

"Reformed hip-hop is a theologically driven masculinity movement. It says no to the prom songs to Jesus in ccm, no to whiny emo Christian music for hipsters, and no to empty, shallow, individualistic Christian music lacking theological content produced out of Nashville."

 Super interesting.
Posted: 17 Feb 2012 10:27 PM PST
Yes, so tired of this being a "litmus test" for salvation.

"That means we're going to have to get used to some card carrying evangelicals experimenting with ideas that centrists, like me anyway, consider less than helpful. But if a writer tries to ground his argument in Scripture, and identifies himself as a member of the body of Christ, charity requires me first to humbly listen." We have to become radically Protestant again. At times like these, there arises a longing in Protestant breasts for the magisterium, for an authoritative body to pronounce a final verdict to deal with the troublemakers by edict. But that is not a Protestant theology of the church and the Holy Spirit."
Enjoy!

No comments: