Thursday, March 1, 2012

March Happenings

I like the background and header this time, but I do think it might be a tad juvinille.  When I'm thirty I'll have a sophisticated blog, okay? Also, I was back to using Instagrams again.  I did much better this month, but I still have so much more to choose from if I use phone pics instead of ones from the DSLR.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see what's going on in March:

- Peyton's working a bunch of weekends.  Not really super fun.  Additionally, he's taking a short trip for work. 

- We really don't have much going on in March and that's perfectly fine with me.  This week has been busy and it's reminded me that I really prefer a slower pace.  Someone commented last week seemed busy, but to me it was a lot lighter than this week!

- I am going to try to work on some sewing projects and a few other things around the house.  

- The biggest project is getting ready for the kids' birthday party.  Since they both have April b-days, I decided to just do one big party.  We have a theme, so now we just need to get busy!

- This is jumping ahead, but the very first weekend in April we're going to North Mississippi to visit my uncle and aunt and Cookie's meeting us.  I'm so excited about that.

- Peyton and I are are reading 7 by Jen Hatmaker and it's really been good so far.  The premise of the book is that for seven months you tackle seven areas of excess in your life and seek to simplify in order to "make room" for God to move more freely.  I LOVE the concept.  Anyway, the first month was food.  Since I really struggle with keeping weight on and since I'm still nursing Graves, I decided a very minimal diet could go South really fast, so I opted to change my drinking habits instead.  That sounds really funny reading back over it.  All I mean is that I decided to drink only water for the duration of Lent.  Peyton did choose only seven foods , and with a few exceptions, he's stuck to them.  I'm hoping he'll do a short post and reflect on it and then we'll both blog about the subsequent chapters as we tackle them. 

- While I'm still doing my beverage mutiny, we're also ready for month two, which is clothing.  I think I've narrowed down my seven items of clothing that I will being wearing for the month and I'll blog more about that soon.  I also decided (and whew, this is going to be hard!) to challenge myself to do a modified version of this with the kids (I say modified because with potty training and a baby who likes to feed himself and leaky diapers and everything else that raising and laundering for an infant and a toddler entails, I just don't think seven items is realistic.)

Now for my goals.  First, here are last months and an evaluation on them:
1.  To be more intentional about daily time with the Lord and with Peyton. I did a lot better with my quiet time this month.  I didn't do it every day, but I was a good bit more consistent.  And I think I did better with Peyton, too, although it kind of varied.  Some weeks were definitely better than others!
2. To take more (and better) pictures.  I've been trying SO hard with this, but my easy peasy cellphone camera has spoiled me.  It's a work in progress!
3. To try to enforce a more reasonable bedtime for myself.  Again, I didn't do it every day, but I did make VAST improvements and I'm really proud of myself.

And here are my March goals:
1. Start an exercise routine and stick to it.  Y'all this is so hard for me.  There was a point in my life where I enjoyed exercise, but it's been a long, long time.   Anyway, I really hate even putting it out there.  And the hardest part is that obviously I have to do it when Peyton is home or someone can keep the kids (I just don't feel comfortable putting Graves in the gym nursery yet) and that's the last thing I want to do when I have "free" time.  Anyway, I'm thinking baby steps.  I'm going to get Peyton to go with me to the gym (we've been saying that for months) and either print out Couch to 5K or put in on my phone or something and go from there.  I think I'm only going to commit to two times and week (and hopefully walking in addition to that if it's pretty) and go up from there.  I want to have SUPER realistic expectations. 
2. Be intentional in my use of the computer/phone.  I have a whole post brewing about this (irony much?), but I've really been convicted lately about how much time I waste on the Internet and I know I will never get these years with my kids back. I'm going to try to figure out a reasonable amount of time and then be very diligent about not going over.
3. Use part of that time, at least weekly, to really write.  I wrote a post about this, but writing is my craft the way some people like to do artsy things or take photographs.  I like trying to cultivate those things, too, but creative writing is the hobby that comes most naturally to me.  I sometimes let opportunities to engage in this style writing slip through my fingers and I want to remedy that. 

The last goal probably won't be hard, but the first two (I think) will be super difficult.  I'm excited about it, though.  I have come to love this part of welcoming a new move and I feel like choosing a handful of goals for the month had really helped me grow in a myriad of ways.  Here's to more of that!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I think your blog looks adorable!!

So you're only going to be wearing 7 different things all month? Whoa. Although, I'll be doing that unintentionally since I won't fit into my clothes for a while.

I REALLY want to join the gym and workout together! But coordinating our schedules could be a nightmare.

Kristal said...

7 is popping up everywhere around me. I ordered it from amazon earlier this week!