Sunday, April 8, 2012

Thirst: A Post on Lent

I had my first Coke in forty days a few minutes ago and it was fabulous.  I have obviously led a charmed life because this little Lenten sacrifice (only drinking water for forty days) was one of the hardest things I've ever done. It was eye opening, though.  Not only did it lead me back to the cross mentally multiple times a day, but it reminded me to dwell on, and pray for, those who don't even have clean water accessible to them. 

I spent a great deal of Lent feeling a different kind of "thirst", too.  I did the new James study by Beth Moore and we just wrapped up Radical and it was neat how they seemed to touch on the same thing- being faithful in our actions.  I'm convicted more and more of ways we should be "walking the walk" and not just paying lip service to our Lord.  Peyton and I are figuring out what this will look like in our lives and I'm excited about at least one ongoing service opportunity that's already in the works. 

I wrote a post about Lent two years ago (if you want to know more about why I think Lent is important and beneficial, it's worth the read) and one thing I said was this:  no Lenten sacrifice has brought me closer to Golgotha than looking into the eyes of my own daughter.  I kind of expected that before I had children, but I was blown away by the intensity of the way my view of the cross changed after having children (He! Did! That! For! Me?!?).  The other night I watched some clips from The Passion of the Christ at a church service and God pricked my heart again in a big way.  Something about having a son this year made me squirm and fidget and tear up as it hit me again with a new magnitude.  Like I said in my previous post, I am not saying that you have to have your own child to come face to face with your salvation in a powerful way. But it is the instrument God has used in my life again and again.   

I am so thankful this weekend for the Resurrection and for the way the Lord uses books and movies and my little munchkins and the absence of a favorite beverage to draw me to himself.   

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure.
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.
  
 Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom.

No comments: