Monday, March 12, 2012

Weekly Happenings #156 (March 5-11)-- When the Cat Is Away, the Mice Will.....Run Themselves Ragged?



Peyton went out of town to a pharmacy convention from Thursday through Sunday this past week.  I was nervous about staying by myself, but it ended up being fine.  And we made it through the weekend without much stress, thanks to some great help from the grandparents.

Also, this was our first full week to use only one car, so the first part of the week was eventful because of that.  Peyton rode with his brother to New Orleans, so (thank goodness), I had a car for the weekend.

We stayed SO busy last week.  I'm not sure why, it just seemed like a lot.  One thing- I did try to do more fun stuff with the kid and we went to the park, the library, AND the zoo. Anyway, onto the happenings of the week...

I got up with Graves around 7:30 on Monday and fed, bathed and dressed him and then Peyton took over and I took a little "nap" for about another hour.  Peyton left for the gym and I got up with the kiddos.  I took a bath and got ready and gave AP a bath and then my mom came over to pick me up to go out to lunch with some of her friends, under the guise of celebrating one of their birthdays. Peyton took both kids to the doctor because we thought AP had a UTI (she was HYSTERICAL the day before when she teeteed) We ran by Gap first because I wanted to pick up some shoes I had seen for AP.  I was so flattered to be included and then SO suprised, when one of them handed me this:

I knew it was coming, but I had no idea when and it just wasn't on my mind.  It was so exciting and fun to be with several of my mom's friends and their daughters who are already in the Junior League.  We had a wonderful lunch at Nick's and then Momma brought me home.
 

 Peyton left for work and after he told me what the doctor said- the urine sample was normal and it was probably just that some toilet paper got stuck or she wiped too hard or some other irritant.  Anyway, I fed the kids lunch and picked up laundry and made our bed.  I got the dishwasher unloaded and loaded some more dishes and then I scrubbed the counters, cleaned the highchair, and vacuumed the floors.  I put the kids down for late naps and just relaxed.  I sent an email, played on Twitter, and made a few phone calls.  I got the kids up and even though it was kind of getting late we headed to the park with the double stroller.  I was glad we went, but by the time we got home it was a little too dark for me to feel comfortable with the big stroller.  Luckily, it's super close to our house and I just hustled.  I fed the kids dinner and mopped the kitchen floor and then I put Graves to bed.  I read to AP and we cleaned up toys and I got her to bed and did my Beth Moore study.  I rewatched an old Christian Believer video and then cooked some supper for Peyton and when he got home we talked a bit and I went to bed.

Tuesday was a crazy busy day. We got up and got ready and headed to Mother's Day Out.  I was in a weird mood, the morning had been rushed and I was kind of stressed about getting AP's application into the place we finally decided on for preschool.  I worked on filling it out in the gym and then I felt guilty for not being more engaged at work.  When we left MDO, we headed to pick up some clothes that I had put in the consignment sale the previous week and the money I made from the ones that sold.  We left there and picked up my mom at Batte and she road with me to drop off the form that I had finished filling out in the car.  [It's nice to have someone to sit with them in the car; the ladies at the sale couldn't believe I hauled out the double stroller, but I'm just not a fan of leaving kids in a car even for a minute.]  The school is only open two days a week, and when I called the lady I was speaking to told me if I wanted I could just drop it off at her house, so my mom rode with us there since it was only a few minutes away.  We took her back to work and then came home for lunch and naps.  I got on the computer for a few minutes while the kids rested (neither fell asleep) and then we met Peyton at Continental so I could get my basic lesson on how to use my new machine.  Peyton took the kids to his parents' house.  I met them and my mom at our house because she wanted to look at AP's new shoes.  Sure enough, the ones I didn't want to get, but she insisted on, looked kind of frumpy.  After she left, we all loaded back up and went to run errands.  We went to Hobby Lobby and I bought a onsie, some bows for AP (who knew they had such great bow prices?) and some thread and then Peyton had to go to three different Walgreens to drop off and pick up medicine.  We also ran by the sporting goods store to get a new pump for my SIL's birth ball I used since we had lost her old one.  We dropped that off and then ran by the grocery store.  We dropped the kids in bed (AP didn't even want supper) and I put up groceries and cleaned the kitchen and then did my Beth Moore study.  I picked up the house and got on the computer.

We got up early on Wednesday to do the one car thing.  Peyton helped me get the kiddos ready and we dropped him off at work at 8:00 (I actually snoozed on the half hour ride there) and then headed to Bible study.  Of course, it was great!  When we  got home, I fed the kids lunch and put sheets on AP's bed, pureed some green beans for Graves, and sorted and started laundry.  While the kids were napping I just rested on the sofa.

 We finally took the bedrail off!

They woke up and both were kind of cranky and we left to go get Peyton.  We headed to church and I got to do some of the readings and then it was time for Christian Believer.
 
 [in the car- me, the kids, and Peyton, reading, playing, and driving, respectively]

It was good, but Graves got fussy so I went and got him from the nursery.  We went by Gap on the way home to make a return and dropped the kids in bed once we got home.  I straightened up a bunch and got on the computer and then Peyton and I chatted and went to bed.

Thursday we had MDO, and Peyton got up with me and bathed and dressed the kiddos.  We had a good day there and we stayed for lunch.  I left the kids there and ran to the grocery store to pick up some rolls for one of the girls I work with whose family we were bringing dinner since her father in law died.  We got home and hung out with Peyton a bit and then I put the kids down for naps and he left for New Orleans.  I got on Twitter, finished watching a Christian Believer video, and wrote an entire post on that week's lesson.  The kids both took great naps and I had to wake them up to get ready to go to church for our circle meeting.  Our old president resigned and I'm in charge now.  Ahh! I was a little nervous, but it went great.  We got home and I fed Graves and got him to bed but I let AP stay up while I did dishes and cleaned up the kitchen.  The late nap combined with thunder made for a difficult night with her.  I finally just put her in our bed.  It's not unusual obviously for her on occasion end up in our room, but I very rarely start off the night that way.  She took a long time going to sleep even in our bed.  Ugh.

Fortunately, everyone did sleep relatively late on Friday morning.  I got up with Graves around 8:30 and took a bath.  I fed him breakfast and sent a few emails and AP woke up.  They played and then I put Graves down for a nap.  I folded some laundry, had breakfast, made our bed, got on Twitter, told Annie several stories (her new thing is having us make up stories), and emptied and loaded the dishwasher.  When he woke up, I folded some more clothes and straightened up their room a bit and then we all had lunch.  After lunch, I took the kids to the library.  Annie had a great time and I think Graves liked the change in scenery, too!

We got home and I put them down for naps.  I wrote a post and straightened the study a bit.  AP never slept, and Graves's nap was kind of short. After they got up, we got ready and left for my parents.  We met my friend, Margaret, first because she needed the stroller she had loaned me for a trip her family was taking.  I got gas and then we headed to my parents'.  I was really hoping that Graves would fall back asleep and AP would stay awake so he wouldn't be super cranky and so she wouldn't be up late again.  Well, I talked to her all the way and it worked and Graves conked out for a bit.  It's funny how a car nap for one can significantly improve the night and for the other just sabotage it.  Anyway, we had a nice time seeing my parents and having beans.  I gave both kids baths and we headed home.


 I put them right to bed and got on the computer.  I straightened up a bit and went to bed.

 The kids slept late again on Saturday and when I woke up, I had a Facebook message from my sister in law. Her and her husband and kiddo were going to the zoo and wanted to invite us to go along.  Since Peyton was going, I was really trying to do more fun things with the kids and even though I kind of wanted a chill day at home, I knew they'd love it.  The only problem was my lack of a double stroller.  I called Elizabeth and she told me Daniel (my brother in law) would be happy to put AP on his shoulders if she got tired of walking.  I decided we'd be okay, but I was kind of stressed out about the diaper bag and all our stuff since the only stroller accessible was a cheap umbrella.  I really contemplated going to the attic for our big travel system one, but I thought a) that would be difficult and I might hurt myself and b) how would I even contain the kids (mainly AP) while I went up there?  I went ahead and got in the tub, got the kids ready and started throwing stuff in a bag and packing a snack and my mother in law called and said they were going, too! They said they'd bring their big stroller and that was a relief!  I actually took time to fix oatmeal and toast and we all had a good, albeit fast, breakfast and headed out.  I was impressed at how fast I got us ready!

We had a fabulous time at the zoo and AP saw a ton of monkeys.  The flamingos were her second favorite thing.  I kind of felt bad for not taking her before.  My in laws were a HUGE help and I think it would have been kind of stressful with all our stuff and one tiny stroller without them there.  We got there around 11:00 and got home about 3:00.


I put the kids in bed, but neither slept.  Graves had snoozed in the stroller and I think AP was just keyed up from the excitement.  I made them stay in bed for about an hour and then got them up and headed to my parents again.  Of course, both fell asleep on the ride over.  We had a nice visit and good supper- tuna croquettes, green beans and macs and cheese.  I gave the kids both baths again so I wouldn't have to do it before church and we headed home.
 
  [Graves in a Gerber onsie and Annie in ill fitting pjs.  I wish this wasn't the norm.]

I was surprised, but they both fell asleep in the car and I successfully transferred them by myself for the first time since Graves has been out of the SnugRide.  I went through some piles and got on the computer.  I got caught up on my email and in Reader, read some old bookmarked posts and put pictures on Facebook.  I had a snack and went to bed.

Peyton had texted me Saturday to say he had children's church and had forgotten.  He was only the assistant, but that meant I had to be there for the 8:30 service.  I set my clock foward for Daylight Saving Time, but I still overslept by almost an hour on Sunday.  Go figure!  Anyway, I got myself and the kids from the bed to the car in forty five minutes (and that included a meltdown from AP because she didn't want to get up).  That's a record!  The turnout at church was sparse due to Spring Break (and probably also DST) and even though we were running a few minutes behind, there was a Gideon presentation, so we made it in time for me to help with children's church.  AP kind of got upset when I dropped her off, but she recovered quickly.  Sunday School was really good and we had an interesting discussion on anger and the Christian way to handle it.

My mom was going to come over and keep the kids so I could go visit Carrie and three day old Alaina, but Graves fell asleep in the car and I was going to just drive around a bit anyway to let him get a nap, so I dropped them off with my parents.  I headed back and stopped at Corner Bakery to pick up lunch.  I jumped out of the car and grabbed my purse and realized my wallet was in the diaper bag.  Good thing our house isn't far! It ended up being good because I got a chance to do a few things I hadn't had time to do that morning- throw some dipes in the dryer, feed the cats, and use the bathroom.  Ha!  I called in the order, so I picked up quickly and I got a cookie to eat in the car.  Alaina was BEAUTIFUL and I got to hold her a long time while Carrie ate.  Is is wrong I kind of want to put my kids in an MDO program and sign up to be Alaina's nanny? I just LOVE newborns.  Sigh.
 
 [His top is a 3-6 mo. and his pants are 12-18 mo. and both fit.  Baby clothes baffle me!]
  

I left (after a short visit with my little friends Aubrey and Jude, who got home from church while I was there) and went back to my parents'.  I ate a pimento cheese sandwich and the kids had lunch and then we left, a good bit later than I had planned.  They both fell asleep in the car on the way home, but I was able to transfer them again.  I was VERY surprised- neither transfers well now, especially for naps; nights are typically easier.  I had striped Graves's bed because his diaper leaked, but I just threw some blanket in and he did fine.  Anyway, I got on the computer for a bit and then read Radical. I didn't finish the chapter, but it was time to get the kids up and go.  AP was tired and had a bit of a meltdown again.  We made it and the study was good!  We ended up going to dinner afterward at McCallisters with some friends.  We got home and I put the kids to bed.  AP took FOREVER to go to sleep and had to go to time out once.  I got on the computer and Peyton got home.  We talked and chilled out some and went to bed.

Whew!  What a week.  I feel like I'm always saying that lately.  But this week is going to be super relaxed.  It's Spring Break so everything (MDO, Bible studies, ect.) are canceled.  I'm really looking forward to just being at home and enjoying time with the kids and maybe accomplishing a few things, too!

No comments: