Thursday, March 8, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

I realized that I completly skipped my WS post last week without even knowing it! Anyway, here's the links from the past two weeks.

Also, something that's been on my mind lately, in the Beth Moore study I'm doing she talks a lot about social networking and the Internet (it's her newest one) and I've found myself nodding with just about everything.  However, one thing she did talk about was when Christians make fun of each other on blogs dedicated to this end.  It occurred to me that I read several blogs that could (if I looked at this is a hard and fast rule) be classified as such- Stuff Christians Like and Mathew Paul Turner's blog.  Both happen to be linked to in this post.  Both are kind of a mix of satire involving Christian culture and serious posts on relevant issues on the church and society. I really enjoy both.  Overall, I think Beth was talking about a meaner spirited, harsher type blog, but like I said these could fit the bill.  What do y'all think?



Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:56 PM PST
"But, we Christians sometimes unknowingly use these same kind of tactics when it comes to raising
money for mission trips. I say "unknowingly" because there's nothing noble that results from you
manipulating someone into helping you get to the popular page."

So true and great analogy!
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:56 PM PST
This post is a hard one. I get what John Piper was saying and I see MPT's point. It made think of a
recent discussion in our Sunday night group. Does God CAUSE bad things to happen? I don't think so.
Does He ALLOW them? I have to believe that, in his sovereignty, He does.
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:53 PM PST
"Teaching ourselves new ways of coping, new methods of living takes time and slow-and-steady
reinforcement. For most of us, change isn't overnight. We don't wake up one morning and - bam -
we're different."
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:52 PM PST
"Hush, love. Hush. Another day is dawning soon and we will meet here again. Around the squeaky
floors I have come to know so well. And when we do, you will remember why it is that you called me
in the first place, so long ago."
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:51 PM PST
"I don't want them to be passive aggressive. To lock themselves in the bathroom and refuse to come
out. To withhold affection or conversation until they get their way. To scream or threaten, call names,
roll eyes, sling sarcasm, storm out, cave in, endure abuse or strike back."

Love this!
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:47 PM PST
"It's distancing because most of the pinning going on isn't actually about what that individual likes or
wants; most of the pinning going on is about what that person perceives others will value. That person
on Pinterest will never create those twee mini-cakes with the flawless icing and the tiny, ornate birds
made of drizzled chocolate, and they don't even actually want to, and you, in turn, wouldn't even
actually want to eat them, because fondant is nearly inedible. Those pins are about putting those
isolated examples of orderly perfection in relation to ourselves like costumes. If our lives were paper
dolls, pins on Pinterest would be the paper clothing bent around us."

A bit overly analytical, but it's interesting to think about.  **Edited to add: per a discussion with
Peyton, I feel compelled to put a language warning and also a disclaimer that I certainly don't agree
with this whole thing.  I do, however, find the general premise (and especially the above paragraph)
to be very interesting.**
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:46 PM PST
"In the living room, her body is too hot, too close; the room is spinning. We're in the story chair,
reading. The words are slipping from my lips, but they have to find their own cadence, their own
rhythm. I'm reading, but I'm not listening. I'm so hot, is all I'm thinking. Then my voice strikes a
different chord, it finds a different timbre, and the room turns in the opposite direction."

Beautiful words.
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:45 PM PST
"But I do find it interesting that in seven years of raising black children, I have never had the
experience of someone describing his race without some serious dancing around other descriptors
first. "The one with the braids? Blue shirt? Brown hair?" Always."

Interesting.
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:41 PM PST
This is an interesting post on a people I (shamefully) don't think very much about. I didn't want the
TEDTalk yet, but I'm hoping to go back later in the week when I have a minute.
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:40 PM PST
Yep, I've definitely felt like this. Sometimes, I feel like this.
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:36 PM PST
"Sometimes the walls that need to come down so a home can be beautiful aren't necessarily the ones
that are on the floor plans. That realization helped me to create my surroundings and not let them
create me."
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 09:31 PM PST
"We can save an enormous amount of heartache and effort by simply learning from women who have
cleared the path."

 I think this is SO important. I have several informal mentors and one woman who
I've specifically asked to be my mentor. She is a little younger than my mom and is truly amazing. I
have talked to hear about everything from anxiety, to parenting, to (gasp!) our sex life (or lack
thereof at certain points). It's such a blessing!
Drive Safe: In Praise of Flat Adverbs - Merriam-Webster Ask the Editor - YouTube
Posted: 22 Feb 2012 12:38 PM PST
I think this is actually interesting. Is that weird?
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kristal said...

I gotta be honest and say I'm not a big fan of Rage Against The Minivan's blog, but I did like that post. It's always boggled my mind that it's somehow politically incorrect to describe someone by their skin color. Dude, that is a HUGE descriptor. And saying someone is black or chinese is no different, in my mind, than saying they have long blond curly hair or green eyes. People are just so weird about it. :-/