Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Last week's links:



    Posted: 18 Mar 2012 08:29 PM PDT
    "Does anyone who savors books read that way?"-- good question. The article does seem to have a bit of a bias, but it made me think even more about our school choices for our kids.  [More on schooling plans in an upcoming post...swearsies.]
    Blue Like Jazz: The Movie – The Gospel Coalition Blog
    Posted: 16 Mar 2012 09:19 PM PDT
    I am excited, no VERY excited about this little film. Peyton and I have never been big fans of the Kirk Cameron/Sherwood type Christian films and we've gotten taken to task about it before. This is a movie I'm excited about, however. I do think I'll end up having some issues with it, based on this review (especially the fact that the gospel isn't clearly articulated), but I'm excited for something different. Related to this specific post, I really like the discussion (toward the end) about whether we see Miller as "prescriptive" or "descriptive".
    Is 6 Months of Exclusive Breastfeeding Unrealistic and Idealistic? | PhD in Parenting
    Posted: 15 Mar 2012 10:21 PM PDT
    "The objection to the breastfeeding recommendation in particular is perplexing because there are many health-related recommendations that most people do not live up to. While we may recognize that we are not achieving the ideal state on some of these other health issues, most people do not feel personally insulted by the recommendations."

    "Just because you don't manage to eat seven to eight servings of fruits and vegetables every day, isn't a reason to change the recommendation or to protest initiatives designed to make fresh fruits and vegetables more accessible to people."

    I've thought about something similar to this before. Why is it okay, for example, to say "organic fruit is best?" but saying "breastfeeding is best" causes a big stir?
     
    The Biggest Mistake that Bloggers Make - Momcomm — Momcomm
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:50 PM PDT
    "You can't succinctly describe what your blog is about." I need to think on this
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:49 PM PDT
    "It's a great little evangelical party trick. But it's also the honest truth. I don't know when I was saved."

     I personally do know the moment I was saved. I don't remember the date, but I do remember the experience. That said, as a Methodist, most of us do not. So this post resonates. A lot.
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:48 PM PDT
    "Lately, I've been noticing a trend I'll blame on Pinterest, blogging, and social media. There is a brigade of moms who turns every minor holiday, celebrity birthday, movie opening into a Grand Event worthy of celebrating, photographing, and making tutorials." So true.
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:47 PM PDT
    "The bitter that follows the sweet is having this pregnancy be over with. i'll miss the kicks, the feeling of having her growing inside of me… there is nothing in the world quite like it. and even though she will be in my arms, i won't have that anticipation of when is going to arrive? will she be healthy? what will she look like? how big will she be? and truth be told, i'll miss the anticipation, the unknown, the waiting."

    I have felt this way both times. It's such a strange, surreal feeling.
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:43 PM PDT
    "It is a way of tidying corners of my mind--sweeping fleeting thoughts, ideas and images into piles of random words that become a bit more real, more permanent when I take the time to braid them together into sentences. And sometimes, it is the simplest of days when I have nothing amazing about which to write that the need to do it--to unite fingers to keyboard and mutter things under my breath as I type and reread, delete and recompose--seems even more important. I want to be inspired. Always. I want to feel that spark that makes me come alive. And while I think most of us feel fulfilled to wake up every morning, pour a cup of coffee and go about our day loving on our kids, I think we feel more alive when we take the time to be inspired..."
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:40 PM PDT
    "I sound like a woman stuck together with chewing gum and twine some days." "I am convinced that the shortest distance between strangers and friends is a shared story about our broken places." "How for years I attended a church where I didn't know anyone beyond "fine." And how my new strategy for making friends is going to be sharing more than they're expecting to hear."

    Amen.
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:39 PM PDT
    Hehe.
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:39 PM PDT
    "I have a hard time distinguishing between what is important and what doesn't really matter at all, because to me, everything matters so much. Heck, I think inanimate objects have feeelings and so anyway it's hard, when I see hurt and beauty in absolutely everything that is in front of me, and my eyes are always darting toward who or what might be falling into the cracks."

    This is me.
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:37 PM PDT
    "The home makes the nation." Yes.
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:36 PM PDT
    Such a sweet post.
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:35 PM PDT
    Beautiful, heartbreaking poetry.
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:35 PM PDT
    Pictures like this make me want to do it again. So badly.
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 10:34 PM PDT
    "The thing about it is, when people put their heads down and end up achieving these grand things they are after, or they live extraordinary lives, people tend to replace the words: obsessive becomes focused, stubbornness becomes determined, and selfish becomes self worth."
    Enjoy!

    1 comment:

    Rachel Ratliff said...

    Sarah Denley, I have made a new blog: http://apilotandanurse.blogspot.com
    I really enjoy reading yours!