Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

I really don't have too many links from last week. We had way more going on than I anticipated, and I didn't do a lot of blog reading. It's weird because I feel like I either have way too many links or not enough. Anyway, here are this past week's:




    Posted: 23 Apr 2012 09:07 PM PDT
    "Then, I had to make the move from pampering myself…to nurturing myself.What's the difference? There does seem to be a fine line, but think about this: You are having a rough day, so you want to give yourself a treat. You DESERVE a treat – your day is total crap! So, you get a pedicure or you buy a new pair of shoes or you check out in front of the television or you EAT your treat. The moment passes, and what are you left with? Do you feel energized? Do you feel good about yourself? Or did you simply follow an impulse that ended up being empty and meaningless in the end? Nurturing means you look at the moment and you take care of yourself. You pay attention and see what is going on. You experiment with different things that are fulfilling for you. Then, you understand what you need and you give it to yourself in those moments of stress, sadness, or exhaustion."

    Really liked this.
    Posted: 23 Apr 2012 09:05 PM PDT
    "When we are lying in bed, not even awake, and we feel life's sucker punch to the ribs (or the toddler's head-butt to the nose, take your pick), we might be tempted to find a way to anesthetize our way through the day."
    Posted: 23 Apr 2012 09:04 PM PDT
    "I want to miss these moments, too. I want to treasure them for what they are – fleeting. But with my current perspective, these moments aren't expanding my heart. They are annoyances to me. Isn't that the strangest thing? How does it happen that my children learning and needing me has become, in my eyes, a burden? O, let it not be so."

    YES.
    Posted: 23 Apr 2012 09:02 PM PDT
    "What bugs me is all of the people who suggest that I have an obligation to see the movie because it's Christian.."

     "But never once has someone implied that I am obligated to endorse a book because it is a Christian book. I'm asked to endorse a book on its merits alone — the lucidity of its argument, the craft of its prose — not because I owe it to my religion to back the book."

     I stated awhile back that Peyton and I had been "taken to task" about not supporting certain Christian films. Maybe that wasn't an entirely fair way to put it, but we did feel the need to defend our decision to multiple friends. I thought it was interesting Tony touched on this.
    Posted: 23 Apr 2012 08:58 PM PDT
    Wait a minute. What? *THIS* is possible? Stop the world.

    Seriously, we don't routinely co-sleep. We had a season where we had a child in our bed part of the night, every night. But it was a relatively short season and it was part of the night. That said, I have defended this practice, because I feel in my heart you can choose to parent this way and nurture a marriage. But people (myself included) always want to know linguistics. So here they are!
    Hope you enjoy!

    No comments: