Tuesday, May 1, 2012

For Peyton: A Series of Lists on the Eve of Your Thirtieth Birthday


Dear Peyton,

I wanted to share some of my favorite things about you.  Because my mind works this way, I thought it would be fun to share them in the form of several lists, together totaling thirty things that hold meaning and significance to me.  I hope your next thirty years are spent right by my side!

Things I Respect You For:
1. You work harder at your job than most people I know.
2. You want to learn to play a classical instrument.
3. You are great at disagreeing with people respectfully.
4. You defend your values so courageously.
5. You save our money so conscientiously and share it so generously.
6. You have challenged me on every level I can imagine.

Ways I Still Think You Look Smokin':
1. in your bright red Urban Outfitters hoodie
2. with shaggy hair
3. with Mad Men hair
4. in seersucker pants
5. without a beard

Things I'm Thankful to Have Experienced with You:
1. Bruce Springsteen
2. Cursillo
3. Ann Peyton
4. Graves
5. many a lovely car convo
6. the thing we are told is the best earthly picture of Christ and the church

Quirks That I Love About You:
1. You wear scarves and hats with a fervor I rarely seen in the South.
2. You genuinely enjoy listening to Public Radio in your car and you actually gain a lot of knowledge from it.
3. You will fix a hot breakfast less than an hour before noon.
4. You enjoy being read to more than I suspect most adults do.
5. You wear Clark Kent/Buddy Holly glasses with confidence and don't flinch when people at church ask about your "costume".
6. You say that the thing you look most forward to about retirement is the ability to eat out without trying to operate from within a budget category.


Things You Do That Make Me Grin:
1. grab our son's face and give him a stern talking to, beginning with "I need you to look at me, Baby Graves"
2.  acknowledge (without any prompting from me) that the reason someone might have mistaken Graves for a girl was because they just weren't used to well dressed boys
3. pick up Graves and "walk him" around the house chasing Ann Peyton

Reasons I Appreciate You:
1. You happily take the kids for walks and to the park so I can have a break.
2. You go to the grocery store after you get off at 10:30 at night...on a fairly regular basis
3. You take very seriously your responsibility to provide for your family.

Reasons I Have So Much Confidence in Our Marriage and Your Fidelity:
1. You know me better than anyone else, save our Lord, and you love me not in spite of it all, but because of it.

5 comments:

Kodi said...

Love this! I really think highly of Peyton though I've not (yet?) had the privilege of meeting him. Happy bday!

Ashley said...

So, so sweet!

Carrie said...

Such a sweet post! Happy Birthday, Peyton!

Amy said...

this is so sweet! a love letter in list form is my kind of love language! ;-)
happy 30th to peyton...i'll be joining him soon! eek!

The Taffs said...

Such a sweet, sweet post! I hope your hubby had a great birthday!