Thursday, May 3, 2012

Letter to (Three Year and One Month Old) Ann Peyton


Dear Ann Peyton,

This month with you has been delightful.  I'm not one for hiding the ugly details and the last few months with you have been challenging- we've just seen you stubborn streak and a very strong desire for independence (neither of which are bad things...until they conflict with Momma and Papa's authority).  Anyway, in the last several weeks, we seemed to have turned a corner (for a time, anyway!). 

We took you for your yearly doctor's visit and you're tiny, of course.  You weigh around twenty six pounds- about the same as one of your little friends who is turning two this Summer.  I think being petite is fun and I hope you enjoy it, too!

We are still in the process of potty training.  You have some accidents, but it's mainly just when you get wrapped up in playing and forget to take a break.  Even then it's usually damp panties, not full fledged puddles.  You like your Mickey and Minnie panties, but your favorites are "girl panties" and "bug panties".  They came from the same package and have little catoonish girls and (girly) bugs on them, respectively. The girls kind of remind me of The Powder Puff Girls.

I think it's neat you're unique and not totally into the princess thing yet, like a lot of little girls your age.  That's not to say you don't love playing dress up at friends' houses, we've just never made a huge deal of it, so it isn't really important to you yet.  For some reason, I really like that you still love "baby" characters like Mickey and Elmo.  We have so much time for Cinderella and Ariel! Can you tell I'm intentionally trying to stretch your childhood out? If you can be a child for a little longer than most of your peers, I think it will be good for me and wonderful for you!

You are still absolutely obsessed with monkeys.  You had a sock monkey party for your birthday and I don't think you could have been more thrilled.  You thanked me for decorating for it and it brought tears to my eyes, because until that point, I didn't even know you cared...I thought I was still doing it all for myself and my friends.

The other big adventure you had this month was going on a short trip to New Orleans with us.  We brought Minnie and we all strolled around the city for most of the day and then you and Graves stayed in the hotel with her while Papa and I went out to a concert and did some other fun things.  You have not been able to stop talking about the hotel, the pizza you ate, and the puzzle you got.  You also had a blast dancing in the sunshine to the music of a band playing in the street and eating a big ol' sprinkle ice cream cone.  It was the first trip that we've taken that you've enjoyed in such a way. It was such a short trip, but so full of wonderful memories! 

You are so sweet lately.  You told Minnie in the hotel "Momma and Papa will be back" and she said it was so sweet and tender to watch you reassure yourself that our absence was only temporary.  You're going through a phase where you really miss Papa when he's at work.  This has been hard before and it breaks my heart.  Today he kept you home from Mother's Day Out since he had to work this afternoon and y'all got to spend the morning together, just the two of you!

You and Graves are, as always, so much fun to watch.  You've kind of combined the monikers "Baby Graves" and "Bud" and decided spontaneously to call him "Babe".  It is beyond hilarious and reminds me of Sonny and Cher.  The other night you were in the tub and I was about to put him in and you said "You have to take your clothes of, Babe!".  It was so funny. 

I am so thankful for every moment that I get to be your momma.  There are hard moments and easy moments, moments that are pretty and moments that are messy, moments full of tears and moments full of laughter.  There are moments that humble me and moments that empower me.  There are moments of fear and moments of peace.  But every moment as your mother is a beautiful moment.  Lord, help me not to take them for granted!

Love,
Momma (and Papa)

P.S. Your bubble (I think it's your last Summer in them) is a 3T.  Woot woot!


2 comments:

Carrie said...

I sure hope loving Disney Princesses doesn't equal a shortened childhood. If it does, I guess we're in trouble :/

Ashley said...

I guess you know I disagree about the Disney princess thing..... :)