Monday, May 28, 2012

Weekly Happenings Post #167 (May 21-27)-- Slowing Down

 [Yes, she's asleep.]

This past week was SUCH a nice break.  Peyton did work an extra shift and I had two evenings where I had meetings and we went out to eat with my parents another night, but that was all pretty low key compared to the last few weeks. I really, really enjoyed it!  Graves is getting two new teeth and he was a bit of a grump, which was understandable :(

Monday was such a nice, chilled out day, which was really good after the proceeding week.  I got up when Peyton left for work because Graves was already up.  I had asked Peyton to take care of him at around 4:30. [I know that seems unfair, but if I go in there he wants to nurse and we're trying to make sure that doesn't become a midnight habit or anything.]  I had figured he'd rock him and he'd fall right back asleep.  Um, no.  He was up for two hours.  I felt HORRIBLE.  Anyway, he's getting a tooth, so I gave him some medicine and fed him breakfast and then hopped in the tub.  AP still wasn't up and he was so tired, so I put him down for a nap.  I was still tired from the previous week, so I laid down myself.  I set an alarm, but then snoozed it and neither kid woke up until eleven!  [AP had gone to sleep pretty late the night before.]  I fed them lunch and did dishes and folded some laundry and then I got AP dressed.  She wanted to know where we were going, ha!  I decided to take them to the library.  It was getting late, but I knew if there was any chance for naps, they'd be late ones anyway.

We had a good (short) visit to the library.  At one point, a little girl asked AP to play hide-and-seek.  I told her no and when the little girl asked again I overheard her say "My momma told me not to do that".  I was so proud!  Graves fell asleep before we even left the parking lot, so I made a little snack run to Sonic and then came home.  Graves transferred and I put Annie down..  She didn't sleep, of course, but she did pretty good and didn't come get me very much.  I folded laundry, worked on last week's Weekly Happenings Post, and did a few other things on the computer.  I had lunch myself and straightened up a little.
[I realized I hadn't seen MonkMonk in a good while and I asked AP about him.  She told me "he had a good time in New Orleans, but he's going to come back." I kind of panicked, thinking we had left him.  Fortunately, he turned up in Peyton's car.]

Peyton got home and I got ready because I had a Junior League meeting with the committee for the big project I chose this year.  The meeting was quick, but when I got home Graves was very fussy.  Peyton had fed the kids so he took AP to the park and to run an errand and I got Graves to sleep.  I ate my supper and started picking up the house, which was a total wreck.  Peyton got home and we got AP to bed and I cleaned up the kitchen and got on the computer.  I read some in 7 and started the first phase of my closet changeover.

Tuesday was just rough.  It was one of the hardest days for both kids (and myself) that we've had in a while.  Ann Peyton was constantly needing to be disciplined and Graves was just a fitful mess.  He woke up earlier than usual and I got a bath and fed him breakfast and we played a little bit.  About the time AP woke up I was getting ready to put him down for a nap.  Her sheets were wet, so I striped her bed and put them both in the tub.  She was not interested in a bath and that was a nightmare.  She definitely took a trip to timeout.  After I got Graves to bed, we watched Elmo and snuggled and she was very sweet for about an hour, but once he woke up she was a terror again.

She got so mad at him for touching her toy and I put her in timeout and y'all she bit me! That's never happened before and I was beside myself.  I even called Peyton.  Usually I'm pretty confident in our discipline choices, but I was doubting myself big time.  She finally settled down and the kids ate lunch while I folded some laundry. Things got better after that.  We went outside and played for half an hour and then came in for naps.  Graves's morning nap kind of threw him off and it took him an hour and a half to go to sleep.  I'm not sure if Annie was keeping him up distracting him from her bed or if she was the only reason he wasn't loosing his mind being in the crib awake by himself.  Anyway, he finally fell asleep and napped for about thirty minutes.  Ann Peyton, surprisingly, was SUPER good during rest time and stayed in her room for two hours without complaining.  I was kind of shocked she didn't fall asleep. I ironed a pile of stuff, including two crib duvets from the kids' room and then ate lunch and got on the computer for a minute.  I also put up several loads of laundry while they were resting.  I really need to have more productive nap times, like that!

 When Graves woke up he was a mess, I think he didn't nap long enough and something was bothering him.  We stayed outside for about an hour because it was the only thing that was making him happy.   

Cock of the Walk to celebrate since my birthday was the week before. We had a good time and the kids acted GREAT, which, to be frank, was again, a shocker.
Peyton accidentally coordinated with the babies.  Love.

Ann Peyton did throw a little tantrum about not wanting to leave.  We stopped by Peyton's parents' house of the way home to drop off something and Peyton took AP in to teetee since we figured she'd fall asleep on the way home.  Both kids did and I was so happy because Peyton was working an overnight  He helped me get another box out of the attic and got ready and left.  I put pictures on Flikr, finished a post and read some blogs and then I started my Christian Believer readings.  I guess starting the day before is better than the day of!  Right as my head hit the pillow, both kids woke up.  Graves had actually been waking up and stirring but going back to sleep, so I snuck in AP's bed and told her to whisper.  I laid down with her and we both fell asleep really fast.  Peyton called after minute and I got in our bed and went to sleep.

Graves woke up before six on Wednesday and at first I was frustrated, but then I fed him and put him back in bed and he went right back to sleep.  Both kids slept until after eight!  I got up and took a bath when he got up the second time and then AP woke up and we all had breakfast.  I got dishes going and did some stuff on the computer while they were eating and then got them dressed.  I was planning on going to the grocery store, but I decided we'd work on my closet first.  Well, AP got into the Madaline movie she was watching and Graves was relatively chill, so I just kept going.  Peyton got home around one and I was planning to run to the store, but Graves was ready for a nap.  I put him to bed and got AP lunch and then put her down.  Graves didn't sleep long, but he played for a bit in his crib.  I had to keep going in the room to get his paci and rock him or whatever and I was really hoping he'd just fall back asleep.  Um, no.  I worked on Christian Believer some more and then got the kids up.  I fed them a snack and then Peyton got up.  He helped me bath them and I picked up some around the house and then we headed to church.
[Her capris that match this top got Nutella on them, but she loved the fishies and did not want to change, so I pulled out the bloomers that went with the dress she wore the night before.  They were the exact same aqua gingham!]

 [Also? Aqua is our family's signature color, apparently.]

We picked up a pie at Primos because were were doing a potluck dinner and I never made it to the grocery store, much less cooked anything.
Always a dad....

The last lesson of Christian Believer was great and Peyton and our associate pastor had a small worship service planned for it.  Peyton hadn't even told me and it was a neat surprise!  We went by the grocery store on the way home and AP ate supper and I nursed Graves and we got the kids to bed.

 I put up groceries, cleaned out the fridge, and straightened the house.  I got some laundry going and unloaded and loaded dishes and cleaned out my car.  Whew.  I got on the computer and went to bed.  I got super panicked when I went in to check on the kids and AP was nowhere to be found.  She's figured out how to get out the kitty door, so I was a tiny bit worried she had escaped.  I looked in every room and then woke up Peyton.  This is how I finally found her in her room:

Peyton was off Thursday morning and that was nice because the kids had both woken up again the night before.  We got up and he cooked cinnamon rolls and we all hung out outside.  We discussed some Summer plans for homeschooling Ann Peyton and then I put Graves down for a short nap and took a bath and got ready because I was going to lunch with the ladies I work with at Mother's Day Out.
  I had the BEST time at lunch and was sad I had to leave early to get home to the kiddos.  Peyton hopped in the shower and I made him a lunch and started cleaning up the kitchen.  He left while the kids were finishing their lunches and I loaded dishes, wiped down all the counters, and changed over laundry.  I gave both the kids baths (they were eating some super messy peaches!) and then cleaned up Graves's highchair and vacuumed the whole kitchen. I've gotten to where I feel like I need to mop if I vacuum, but it's so much better if I just vacuum every couple of days.  Anyway, after I finished, we headed outside for a bit and then I put the kids down for naps.  Graves took an hour to fall asleep, but then slept for about an hour.  AP just hung out in her bed.  I got on the computer and FINALLY got my slideshow post finished and published.  AP got up and we played.  I got Graves up and fed them a snack and then we got ready because we had a meeting to choose Sunday school curriculum at the church.
[We've been giving him PediaSure for the extra calories and he LOVES strawberry the best, just like his momma and sister!]

 It's just me and two other girls on the committee, so we met in the nursery and let the kids play.  It was a quick meeting and Annie fell asleep on the way home.  I transferred her and fed Graves and got him to bed.  They were both asleep before nine and I was so thrilled.  I got on the computer and uploaded some pictures to Flikr and sent some emails about Sunday school and Junior League stuff.  I cooked a veggie dinner (squash, butter beans, okra, and cornbread) and we ate when Peyton got home.  We talked and fell asleep on the couch.

Graves slept really well and both kids actually didn't wake up until after eight on Friday.  I took a bath and we had breakfast and I unloaded and reloaded dishes.  I started typing up a post while the kids played.  Um, there's a reason I try not to get on the computer when they're awake. Both were so clingy and cranky and did not want me do that, but I needed to write.  I got my feelings out and made it to a stopping point and then I gave them both baths and got them dressed.  We straightened the house and were about to leave to meet my mom and her friends for lunch, but Graves dumped some detergent out of a box and AP's car seat straps got tangled up and we got a late start.  It was still fun, though! We got yogurt and the kids did really well.  Graves fell asleep on the way there, so my hopes for naps weren't high but he fell asleep on the way home, too and I transferred him.  Not ten minutes in Ann Peyton was hanging on his crib and woke him up.  She went straight to time out.  They stayed in bed a bit longer and then Peyton got home.  He got them both up and played with them while I relaxed a little and then we headed to my parents.  We went by the Mediterranean Cafe and Great Harvest on the way.  We had fun at my parents and of course, the beans were great. Graves ate two big bowls.  We got home and put Graves to bed, but AP had a hard time falling asleep because she had napped in the car.  I finished up my post and Peyton and I chatted and then went to bed.

Graves woke up twice and AP once during the night, but then they both slept until ten on Saturday.  Um, I'll take that any day!  When we got up, I was still tired and felt so sick, but I figured out what the deal was.  Hint: I love being a girl.  Peyton finally had a Saturday off where we had no plans and so we got ready and I did a quick pick up of laundry and then we all went back to Great Harvest to get some bread they didn't have the night before.  We had "brunch" there and surprisingly, Graves fell back asleep on the way home.  It was around noon so we just put both kids down for naps.  AP wasn't really ready to rest, so Peyton took her in our room while I got on the computer.  I went in there with them and we all rested/read.  It was nice.  When Graves got up, we got ready and headed to the Y to swim. We had a fun time and Graves LOVED it.

We went and got gas for the lawn mower and got some fertilizer and came home to do yard work.  I fed the kids a snack while Peyton mowed and then we went outside and played and made flower beds. I even mowed half the backyard with the push mower- pretty good exercise! We stayed outside for a couple of hours and then I came in and gave Graves a bath.  I had to scrub his dirty little fingernails and since we weren't trying to rush anywhere and AP was outside, I decided to cut them and clean out his ears, too.  She came in, so I cut her nails and cleaned out her ears, too and then they had dinner.  Peyton came in and took a quick shower and then he played with them while I vacuumed the living room and bedrooms.  I put Graves to bed and then he went to the grocery store while I played with AP and folded laundry.  We ate leftovers after we got Annie to bed and I took a bath and went to sleep way earlier than usual.  Graves woke up around three and I collected our supper dishes and tidied up the living room after I got him back to bed.  At three in the morning.  I'm so weird. 

I overslept Sunday morning, but I got ready in record time, especially considering I had to go to the attic to get my dress and I had to iron mine and the kids' clothes.  Peyton was a big help with them and fortunately, neither had to have a bath.
[I'll be so sad when he gets to big for "pretty" things.]

Church went well (it was Pentecost Sunday) and Peyton taught Sunday school and did a really great job.  We came home and Graves took a short nap and AP rested while I started dishes and laundry and got to work on a chair from AP's room that she had had a little accident on.  I got on the computer for a few minutes and then we got the kids up and got ready and headed to my parents' house because they were cooking out for Memorial Day weekend.
We had a nice visit and then we headed straight to the Deckards' house.  Karissa and I were going to watch the kids there and while the group went to StewPot.  The kids swam, had hotdogs, and played outside and we had a great time, but I was pretty tired by the time Peyton and the rest of the gang got back.  We drove around a bit and both kids fell asleep.  I insisted on a family picture and it didn't come out right so we got the kids up a second time.  Fortuantly, Annie pretty much slept through it and Graves went right back to sleep.


  I got on the computer and then had a snack and read my Bible and some in 7 and went to bed.

This week should be pretty uneventful, too.  I'm enjoying these lazy Summer days!

No comments: