Monday, May 14, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Wow, it's been forever since I've done a WS post. I've just been super busy and not reading as much lately, I guess. I love finding new and interesting perspectives, so I hope to get back in the game soon. This week is going to be crazy, but I think things will slow down after that! Anyway, here are my links from the last couple of weeks!
















Posted: 11 May 2012 09:41 PM PDT
Interesting article.
Posted: 10 May 2012 07:51 PM PDT
"Teach them to love the standard, which is not the same thing as merely requiring them to conform to the standard (for a time). This is a function of heart loyalty (Prov. 23:26), and you teach them to love the standard (and to be loyal to you) by loving the standard yourself (and being loyal to them)."

"· Your garden of yes should have a tree of no in it, and not the other way around (Gen. 2:16). God is not a skinflint, and you should not paint Him as being one. In Christ, all the promises are yes and amen (2 Cor. 1:20). Resemble the God you serve."

LOVE THIS.
Posted: 09 May 2012 10:18 PM PDT
I love this.
Posted: 09 May 2012 10:18 PM PDT
"My mother, who is someone I can only describe as having an unquenchable thirst for God, raised me and my sisters on a steady diet of missionary biographies. The vast majority of them were about women: how they left all that they knew and any hope of a future to go and preach the good news."

Very interesting post.
Posted: 09 May 2012 10:17 PM PDT
"It makes me a mother, a human, a woman dealing with a profound loss in a way that God designed me to. It makes me a Christian woman challenged to the very core of my faith. This is my journey. I'm walking it the way I was created."
Posted: 09 May 2012 10:14 PM PDT
"When one consistently chooses cyberspace over holy space — life becomes a hollow place."
Posted: 09 May 2012 10:13 PM PDT
"Pinterest is the fantasy league of consumerism and it speaks to the larger issues that we battle as a society: I am my image, I am what I consume, I am what I purchase, I am what I desire."

I like Pinterest, but this post resonated.
Posted: 09 May 2012 10:12 PM PDT
Totally doing this.
Posted: 09 May 2012 10:11 PM PDT
This looks like so much fun. Noted.

Posted: 09 May 2012 10:11 PM PDT
It's lengthy, but I found it fascinating.

Posted: 09 May 2012 10:03 PM PDT
I think this is an interesting perspective. In light of the North Carolina vote, I honestly think we'd be best served by leaving marriage to the church and having some sort of legal union instituted by the government.
Posted: 09 May 2012 09:53 PM PDT
I could literally quote every sentence of this. I needed this reminder so much.
Posted: 09 May 2012 09:45 PM PDT
"A mother duck plucks each feather out from the heart of her bosom.She lines the nest with bits of herself — the best of herself."

 "A mother cups her brood not with leftovers — but with her own sacrifice.When will I learn: The down we sacrifice from ourselves — this is what settles and soothes. Scraps won't suffice."

 So beautiful.

Posted: 09 May 2012 09:38 PM PDT
"Jesus's analogy to leaven makes the connection. The kingdom spreads and grows and so does corrupting doctrine. We benefit from actively cultivating the former while guarding against the latter."

Jamie the Very Worst Missionary: Sorry, poor people, it’s not about you.
Posted: 16 Apr 2012 07:07 PM PDT
"The frustration of the short-term experience is that it often does change your life… for a minute."

"It is the responsibility of the sending church, the participants, and the long-term missionaries on the ground, to work-together to make sure that while they're busily transforming their inner-selves, they aren't doing so to the detriment of the rest of God's awesome and beloved creation. "

So many great points!

This is part of a whole series of posts Jamie wrote about short term missions.  Some of it might be hard to swallow and I'm not saying I agree with every word (or how she said it), but I think it's an interesting perspective and well worth the read.  Also, here's Jamie's take on how to get STM right.



Enjoy!

No comments: