Monday, May 21, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Last week's links:




    Posted: 21 May 2012 06:30 PM PDT
    " I listened to you tell me of the reasons why you were here, sterilizing bottles, and even cried with you when you cried over guilt and helplessness and pain, sympathetically reassuring you, I understood, I said.But I lied. I didn't understand." "But some part of me thought you hadn't tried hard enough. That you gave up too easily. I was blaming you." Well, that was a punch in the gut. I have been the momma the author describes herself as in the beginning of this letter too many times.
    Posted: 21 May 2012 06:27 PM PDT
    I thought this was interesting and I might do it, too!
    Posted: 21 May 2012 06:27 PM PDT
    Interesting post by our friend Meg Rambo.
    Posted: 21 May 2012 06:26 PM PDT
    "By elementary school, we've discovered that girls with long blonde hair and trendy, sparkly tops are treated differently than the ones sporting tangled locks and stained sweats. By middle school, we've seen enough movies to understand that living happily ever after involves being skinny, beautiful, and having a lot of sex, and by high school fashion magazines have taught us that it's not so much about being pretty as it is about being sexually attractive to a certain sort of man—by leaning forward and parting your lips slightly when you're flirting with him at work, by dousing yourself in pheromone-laced perfume available for only $120 at Nordstroms, by learning the Ten Naughty Tricks That Will Drive Him Wild In Bed, dished by a Parisian madame."
    Posted: 21 May 2012 06:25 PM PDT
    "What it comes down to is that in many ways, society ascribes value to women based on how attractive they are to men."
    Posted: 21 May 2012 06:24 PM PDT
    Hilarious.
    Posted: 21 May 2012 06:23 PM PDT
    This is a really good post. While issues like breastfeeding and natural birth are important to me, they don't hold a candle to our responsibility for caring for "the least of these".
    Enjoy!

    No comments: