Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Here are last week's links (as usual, a bit late). I went back through some "read it later" posts I had bookmarked, so some are old, but I thought still relevant!







    Posted: 22 May 2012 09:23 PM PDT
    This was a really good reminder for me!
    Posted: 22 May 2012 09:21 PM PDT
    "Bono: You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics; in physical laws every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. It's clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the universe. I'm absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "as you reap, so you will sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff." Bono: You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma..........

    I think it's really interesting the way Bono explains that most religions hold on to a doctrine of "karma" and to an extent such a thing does exist, but Grace (through Christ) overrides it. I also think it's neat to see a mainstream rock guy speak so boldly about his faith. I also like how he kinda calls the guy on in the second to last paragraph on the "Jesus was a great teacher" idea.
    Posted: 22 May 2012 09:11 PM PDT
    "How about we hold them? How about we say that it sucks, and it's not fair? How about we say we're sorry, admit we don't really understand? How about we become comfortable with silence? How about we become the one that can listen without judgement, the one that can take it without being shocked and affronted and offended by honesty? How about we say we love them? How about we say that we're here and then we prove it? How about we learn how to hold hands, to hug, to sit beside, to write hand written letters, to bring meals, to baby sit, to do laundry, to make phone calls, to meet for coffee, to pray and pray and pray in secret?"
    Posted: 22 May 2012 09:09 PM PDT
    Very interesting post.
    Posted: 29 May 2012 09:02 PM PDT
    "How can I tell you of grace unless I have taken the cup with both hands and been filled with the sharp, hot truth? I can't recommend something I've not tasted."
    Posted: 29 May 2012 09:01 PM PDT
    "I'm her mama, and He's our Father, and shame is not invited into our family."
    Posted: 29 May 2012 08:22 PM PDT
    If you don't read anything else in this list, READ THIS. "...of the approximately 750 children who will drown next year, about 375 of them will do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult. In ten percent of those drownings, the adult will actually watch them do it, having no idea it is happening (source: CDC). Drowning does not look like drowning." "And parents – children playing in the water make noise. When they get quiet, you get to them and find out why."





    Enjoy!

    No comments: