Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Letter To (Fourteen Month Old) Graves

Dear Graves,

I know I keep saying this, but I *love* this stage.  You are still pretty cuddly and want Momma to hold you a good bit, but you are also able to play independently for increasingly longer periods of time.  You are still very much a baby, but you're doing lots of fun toddler stuff, too.  It's like the best of both worlds and I'm trying to soak it up as much as I can.

You are really close to walking I think, but I could be wrong, since it took your sister a sweet forever (she was seventeen months) and you've been similar to her in a lot of ways, like teething late, for example.  You can crawl SUPER fast and you "cruise" around furniture quite well.  You'll also stand and balance without holding on for a few seconds and then just plop yourself down.

Papa always used to think Annie was braver because you got scared when he'd throw you in the air like he threw her when she was a baby.  But we've learned you're just braver about different things.  You seem to be braver about more independent things than she was.  You've crawled onto her little "Wheely Bug" riding toy that she was scared of until about eighteen months and you try your hardest to get over to Mickey and Minnie's stairs and scale them when no one's looking.  I got right behind you and let you try and you crawled about halfway up them.!

You've been on a nap strike lately.  Well, you're still taking them, but they're inappropriately short for a one year old.  Thankfully, the past few days have been an improvement!  You need more than just an hour of daytime sleep, I'm confident.  That said, you have been doing well at night and you're SO flexible that it's hard to complain.  We stayed out late a few nights last weekend and you were such a trooper.  One night you slept in my arms and the other night you felt up to playing, so you just played with your older sister and her friend and were hardly cranky at all.  I guess I can't really complain too much.

You LOVE going outside and your favorite thing is swinging.  After you get tired of that, I put some toys in an empty sandbox with you and you play and play.  I think you'd stay out there for hours!

You've also just recently gotten interested in putting things together.  For example, you love trying to fit your paci down an empty paper towel roll and you started trying to put these little things that came of the end of a bed at Mickey and Minnie's house together.  I was so shocked when you actually did it!  Ann Peyton wasn't doing anything like that at your age- she was much more into books and stuffed animals.  Papa says it's probably a boy/girl things, since boys are more spatial, but I think you have excellent fine motor skills, which is not something I expect to see in one year old boys.  Minnie said that maybe you'll be an engineer like Mickey and I quickly told her that I thought you were too social to be an engineer.  Ha!

Speaking of, you LOVE people.  NOW, most of the time, you really want Momma to hold you, at least at first in a new situation.  But once you warm up, you are in hog heaven.  You just love being surrounded by people and lots of noise and laughter.  I think that's neat because Ann Peyton is more of an introvert.  It's really fascinating to see how y'alls personalities are so different.

We love you so much, sweet boy.

Love,
Momma (and Papa)

P.S. Your outfit is a 12 mo.


No comments: