Sunday, July 1, 2012

July Happenings


I have to say, I love how this month's look turned out.  I've never done the little background behind the header before, but I like how it sort of looks like a postcard or something.  I also LOVE each of the five pictures.  I actually had a hard time narrowing it down! And I'm really drawn to the quote by Lincoln.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, July....

- It's hot, y'all.  We're at that miserable stage, but I kind of love it.  I'm a big warm weather person and even if it means I need a bath after going outside for ten minutes, I MUCH prefer it to the cold.

- Really I can't think of a lot we have on the calendar yet for July and in a way that makes me happy.  I like months where I can relax and also accomplish things around the house.

- Actually, even our Fourth of July celebration that we usually go to was cancelled this year.  Kind of a bummer, but Peyton already took the day off, so it'll be nice to spend it between our families!

- It's funny because last year, Carrie and I left the day after the Fourth to meet Ashley in Memphis for a short girls' trip.  I was looking at some pictures (I love to look back at pictures from this time last year and the year before, and so on) and kind of getting sentimental.  Luckily,  we'll be packing up to head North to see Ash in August!

So, to recap how I did on my goals this past month:
1. Set aside a daily time reading- I didn't start out the month great, but toward the end I did much better.  It wasn't daily, but it was a big improvement.  It's something I really need to keep up.
2. Set aside daily time with the Lord- This was kind of the same.  I did much better the second half of the month.
3. Set aside daily time (without kids) with Peyton- I didn't necessarily do it daily, but it does seem like we've been having more time together and I think we've both enjoyed it!
4.  Since I cheated, I'm adding one extra.  We're going to start having what's called a "Morning Meeting" as part of our first little toe dip into homeschooling.  I'm planning to do a post about this next week and give more details, but so far this has been very successful.  I'm kind of nervous about homeschooling, mainly because I'm not a good time manager and I can be lazy about things and I so don't want Ann Peyton to suffer because of my short comings.  Anyway, these meetings have helped me gain some confidence that this is something I really can do!

And here are this month's goals:
1. Keep up the daily reading/Scripture reading.  It's an important goal.  Enough said.
2. I've kind of already started this, but I'm trying to cook more often.  We've always been a family that's just kind of "made do" with leftovers and sandwiches and cereal, but as the kids are getting older, I'm wanting to cook more the way my mom did- good meals.  One thing I've realized is that if Peyton is working late, it's really counterintuitive to try to cook a meal.  I used to cook something quick like fish or spaghetti, which was fine, but now my aim is more for a shared meal between the four of us.  So on the days he works late, and therefore goes in late, we'll just have our "big" meal for lunch and then Peyton and I can eat leftovers or sandwiches for supper after the kids are in bed. Basically, just switch the two meals!
3. I *hate* to put this out there, because I've said it before and not really followed through, but....I'm going to try to exercise more.  I want to try to make it to the gym twice a week and then do something like a walk with the kids one other day.  Three out of seven days should not be unmanageable (though it will probably seem that way when push comes to shove, ha!).

So, there we go!  Happy July, friends!

2 comments:

The Niemeyer Nest said...

I have a hard time exercising too but it's such a nice break from the kids once I am there. Your banner is awesome!

Ashley said...

I can't wait to see y'all in August!

I'm nervous about my lack of discipline with homeschooling. Discipline meaning I can very easily stay in pajamas all day and watch TV. It's something that I'm going to have to really work on...... so I'm with you on that one. :)