Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Weekly Happenings Post #175 (July 16-22)-- Sleep is for the Weak


The week was kinda rough on the sleep front.  Actually, I really can't complain at all because Peyton was home in the mornings and let me sleep late and the one morning he had a meeting Graves ended up sleeping way later than was typical.  And both kids have been making up for their hard nights with good naps.  I'm not really sure what's going on.  With Graves, I think it's teeth, because he's been super fussy during the day, too.  He's just been waking up during the night and/or really early.  I've been nursing him because nothing else really has helped.  I mean he just SCREAMS in my arms.  It makes me nervous for when he's completely weaned. With Annie, I'm not sure.  She woke up once because her pull up leaked and the other times, I think it's just been bad dreams or the weather.  It's been in the early morning when I knew she'd have a hard time going back to bed in her room and not waking up Graves.  Since I did not want them both up for the day, I put her in our bed.  I really don't mind doing that some, but I don't want her to get into the habit of it.  I guess I'll have to work on it if she keeps waking up!

We had a really nice morning on Monday.  Graves got up before seven and wouldn't go back to sleep, even after I nursed him.  Peyton was planning on going to the grocery early anyway, so he took Graves with him and they hit up Kroger and the Farmer's Market near us.  Annie crawled in bed with me and watched Kipper and I thoroughly enjoyed sleeping late and snuggling with her. I got up and AP and I had breakfast and I started dishes before the boys got home.  I put up groceries and cleaned out the fridge and reorganized a bit and then we got ready and headed out on a stroll to the park.  Peyton's brother Andrew was watching a neighbor boy, so they met us there and all the kids played.  Andrew and his little friend came over for lunch afterward.  Peyton and Andrew watched the kids outside while I started cooking fish.  I unloaded the dishwasher and reloaded it and then started the asparagus and hopped in the tub.  [I know, I know, this is not what you serve to a random kid.  But we already had it planned and we cooked him some frozen onion rings to go with.  Okay?]
Monster Man snack

I got ready and we all ate and then Andrew and the little boy left and I gave our kids baths and put Graves down for a bath.  When I got Graves out of the tub, Annie asked me why he was crying.  I told her I thought he was cold and tired.  "Oh, I think he wants Sissy".  So sweet.  I picked up toys and cleaned up most of lunch and I talked to my mom on the phone because AP had had an accident on one of our living room chairs and the color seemed to be running. I read to AP and put her down to rest and then I cleaned up the rest of the kitchen, started laundry and made a pitcher of Kool Aid.  I got on the computer and worked on typing up a report from our last Circle meeting and put pictures on FB.  The kids slept awhile and got some other computer stuff done.  I had to wake them up and we had a very low key evening.  I folded and put up a lot of laundry and fed them supper and Graves went to bed pretty early.  I did a puzzle with AP and read to her for a long while and then put her down and finished up a post.  Peyton and I ate leftovers for supper and I actually got off the computer and got in bed with him right afterward and we watched the news and talked.

I woke up and changed Graves and then fixed him breakfast a little before eight on Tuesday.  He had waken up at six and I had fed him and put him back down.  Peyton got up about half an hour later when AP did and I went back and slept for another thirty minutes.  When I got back up, I had breakfast and picked up around the house some and then we had our Morning Meeting.  I unloaded and reloaded dishes and we all got ready and went for a two mile walk around a nature trail near our house.  It was pretty hot, but fun!
 This is what a family of four looks like after walking two miles in the Mississippi heat.

 We got home and I started cooking lunch.  I cooked black eyes peas, fresh okra, corn and new potatoes.  I also made some cornbread to go with our "Veggie Supper" and made a cake for that night's Ultreya.  I took a quick bath and then Peyton took his and we all ate lunch.  I cleaned up all the lunch dishes and picked up toys with AP and then put Graves down.  I read to her and did a puzzle again and then put her in bed.

I got on the computer and checked Twitter and my email and wrote a blog post.  I texted with a few friends and Annie kept kinda throwing fits about little things and Graves wouldn't go to sleep because he had taken a little nap in the stroller.  They finally both went to sleep and around five I realized I needed to hustle to get ready for Ultreya.  I fixed their supper to take with us, sliced my cake, and got myself ready and then woke the kids up and got us out the door.

Ultreya was nice and it was fun seeing everyone, but by the time we left I had an awful headache.  I took some medicine when we got home and fed Graves a little more (fortunately, the slow eater had eaten enough of the supper I packed).  I got Graves to bed and then worked on the puzzle (again!) with Ann Peyton.  We read some and I put her to bed and caught up on blogs until Peyton got home.  We chatted and then I read some and went to bed.

Baby Graves woke up super early on Wednesday and was inconsolable, so I nursed him and then he slept until almost TEN.  When Annie woke up, I let her watch cartoons in bed with me, since Peyton was at a meeting all morning.  I got a bath before Graves got up and then we all had breakfast.  I made our bed and did laundry and dishes.  I straightened up some piles, organized some books and fixed a necklace AP had gotten all tangled.  I organized some toys and stuffed animals in the kids' room and decided on some to take to my moms' house because space is limited here.  At that point, I realized it was close to noon and I had forgotten the Morning Meeting.  We did it and then played until Peyton got home.

He helped me fix the kids lunch and then I read and ate my lunch while he bathed them.

  I got them down for naps and Peyton left to go hang out with his brother.  I wrote a blog post and got on Twitter.  I let the kids get up and play and then Peyton got home and I straightened up and vacuumed the bedrooms.  He took a bath and then we headed over to my parents.  A friend had cleaned out her closet and she's little like me, so we met her on the way because she had a bag of stuff for me.  We ate dinner with my parents and had a good time and Annie even had a second bath!  We got home and put the kids right to bed.  I read some blogs and Peyton watched a movie and then I went to bed.

Both kids woke up at 2:30 that night.  Annie's pull up had leaked and then the commotion woke Graves up and he was in a state.  I nursed him and Peyton helped me with AP.  It really didn't take that long to get them back to bed, but you know it's still the middle of the night.  Peyton meant to go for an early walk and take Graves and then I was going to go to the gym, but he didn't get up until after eight on Thursday.  They went ahead and I just decided to stay home with AP since she was still sleeping.  We slept late and then I took a bath and the boys got home.  We had a late breakfast and I started laundry and dishes and then got to work on lunch.  I was making "hamburger corn pie"- a favorite casserole of Peyton's- and the meat took longer to thaw than I realized.  Peyton needed to run by the church on the way to work anyway, so I just cooked it for him to have that night and fed the kids leftovers since we had all had late breakfasts. I cleaned up the kitchen and striped our bed and started more laundry.  I did the compost, trash and recycling and then put sheets on AP's bed and got the kids down for naps.  The font on my 411 post was so weird and so I spent a little while trying to reformat it. It looks normal now, but it's weird in Reader.  Whatever.  I caught up on Twitter and then, as I promised myself I would, got up and did something beneficial.  I did some reading in my Old Testament study and ate a big lunch (four tacos, almost a row of Oreos, and a big glass of whole milk).

Graves woke up and I got the kids and we just had a very chill evening.  I fed Graves a snack and unloaded and loaded dishes.  I folded some laundry and put it up in ours and the kids room and then I taped up a couple of kid books that were falling apart.  Poor Graves was super fussy and I stopped what I was doing every few minutes to snuggle with him or read a board book.  After that, I worked on a putting some "stuffing" in a sewing project I'm working on.  AP helped me some and then Graves got fussy again. I fed both the kids dinner and read to Graves a little bit more and then put him to bed.  I took some video footage of AP because she was being hilarious (she told me that PHARAOH was at our house cleaning up and that he "didn't like a dirty house").  I did her whole nighttime routine and then I even played her a song on the piano.  [I can read music and I can play the guitar (not well, anymore) but I really want to learn to play the piano better.]  I put her to bed and read some blogs and then Peyton got home.  We watched the first half of a movie and then I made myself a turkey melt and went to bed.

Graves woke up around 7ish on Friday, but he slept through the night so I was happy.  I had given him Tylenol right before bed and I think that did the trick.  I nursed him and fed him breakfast and then AP woke up and they played and then she ate.  She takes so long! Peyton left to go to a work day at Ann Peyton's school. I got some laundry started and took out the bathroom trash and then we had our Morning Meeting.  She helped me clean up toys and then I took a bath.
"We want to make a mess, Momma".  Mission accomplished, I'd say.

  The kids played some more and I typed up part of a blog post.  I really try not to do that when they're awake, but I had a bunch of thoughts in my head and wanted to start it.  Peyton got home and we talked and I I fed them lunch and got them down for naps and then I got on the computer for a bit.
 Peyton gave him his first Oreo and seconds later he said "Papa" for the first time ever.

 I checked in on Twitter and checked my email and I installed Elements on our computer and then I spent the rest of naptime reading.

 When the kids got up, we got ready and headed to my parents'.  We had a good visit, but Graves got pretty cranky.  We came home and I put the kids right to bed.  I read blogs and tried to figure out Elements some and then went to bed.

Saturday was such a fun day.  Peyton was actually off and we started out the rainy morning by dropping the kids off at my parents' and heading to a little reading workshop at Ann Peyton's school.  It was kind of overwhelving, even with an education background, but I learned a lot!  We picked up the kids and came home and put them down for naps and then Peyton grilled bacon and squash.  I had a big salad for lunch and we finished Tree of Life.  The kids woke up and I straightened up a little and took another shower.  We met our friend Erika for dinner and that was super fun! After dinner, we rode around and talked some and then when we got home, I put Graves to bed and Peyton helped me get AP ready for bed.  She went to sleep pretty quickly considering she had taken a real nap.  Peyton and I talked and I cleaned up the kitchen and picked up the house.  I got on the computer and then worked on my Sunday School lesson for the next day. I went to bed super late.

[I went in to check on them and this is how Graves was sleeping.]

Sunday morning I got up before everyone else and got ready and left to go do Children's Church at the early service.  The kids were just waking up when I left.  Peyton got them ready and to church by himself and met me for Sunday School. The lesson I was teaching was the second in our book on balance and it was about busyness and making sure we use our time wisely- something I really struggle with alot!  Peyton ushered at church, but he got to sit with me the second part of the service and that was nice.
A lesser known stanzas of one of my favorite hymns- O, For a Thousand Tongues to Sing by Charles Wesley.  It is with great pride that I claim him as a spiritual ancestor.

  I was so tired when we got home.  I ate lunch and got on the computer to try to cut a video so I could upload it to Vimeo and then I took a nap.  After I woke up, I worked on my craft for that night.

  Peyton pretty much dealt with the kids most of the afternoon.  Graves was pretty fussy, so Peyton decided to take him for a walk and then put him to bed early.  Annie went with me to church and the only other kids there were my friend's who was keeping them with me.  We let them eat supper, and I read the Bible story and we did the craft and then we all went home early.  Ann Peyton wanted to play on the playground and it actually wasn't blistering hot.  We were having a nice time until she had a little accident.  So weird because she had been to the potty right before we went outside.  I guess she had just been drinking a lot of water.  Anyway, I striped her and put her in the car and we came home.

[Annie's birthday message for Cookie]

Peyton and Graves were home and I nursed him and got him down and Peyton gave AP a bath and started getting her ready for bed.  I had a headache so I got in the tub myself and when I got out they were both in the gingerbread house discussing what happens to the moon during the day.  I tweeted last night about what an awesome dad Peyton is and how I knew by my senior year of high school he would be the best father (with the sole exception of my dad) I would ever meet.  I got on the computer and ate some Bagel Bites and went on to bed early after we had a very abbreviated family meeting.
Nothing makes me feel like royalty like The Poor Man's Deep Water Bath.  I'm a simple girl.

This week is busy, busy, busy and mostly with appointments and work commitments for Peyton.  I've been spoiled by our low key weeks lately, so I know this one won't be the easiest.  I'm glad I went to bed early and I'm starting the week on a good food.

No comments: