Monday, July 9, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

It's been fun getting back into my Google Reader and catching up on some of my favorite blogs. Hopefully, you'll find something that interests you, too!  



    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 07:57 PM PDT
    "'I wonder how open and honest you can be on the Internet.'Turns out: pretty damn honest."

    Loved reading one of my favorite storyteller's story.
    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 07:56 PM PDT
    I loved this series. Rather than linking to every one, I'm just telling you to check it out if you're a reader. I added quite a bit to my Amazon Wishlist!
    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 07:55 PM PDT
    "Because becoming a mother was the most wild, brave and reckless thing I have done so far. It required a wild trust and a brave faith. And so I write it down. Daily. Here on a white page online and the lists that go with it in a blank journal I'm learning not to be scared of anymore."
    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 07:54 PM PDT
    This is the second post I've read this week where I felt like God was saying to me "Don't give up on your dreams. Just give them to me. It could happen."

    [Y'all know I'm living one of my biggest dreams right now. The other...the other, well, we'll just see what happens. I've blogged about it in passing before, but I'm just too self conscious to put it out there. Maybe one day.]
    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 07:52 PM PDT
    "You see, while C.S. Lewis has a great deal of theological foibles, his ministry is defined by a defense of the essence of the Gospel. The essence of who Christ is and what he did are ardently upheld by Lewis, saturating every page of his books. His purpose was clear: to make a compelling case the reality of God and the Lordship of Jesus Christ. All other things set aside, this is what you leave with every time you read Lewis. The problematic areas are peripheral, not central. One has to look hard to find the departures from traditional Protestant Christianity. They are not the subjects of his works and do not form the titles of his books."

    An old post, but a good one. A lot to think about, especially for those who like to compare the two.
    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 07:47 PM PDT
    Added this to my Amazon wishlist.
    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 07:46 PM PDT
    This is a beautiful post of promises Amy made to her daughter. Love it.
    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 07:45 PM PDT
    "The facilitators are very willing to give up their time, but every day they are away from their family is a day where it is that much harder for their family to eat. None of our pastors are rich. The vast majority of them don't receive any kind of salary from their churches. They pastor because it is what God has called them to do, but then they also have to try and find a way to make a living. This is the pastors. For the facilitators, who also pastor churches, we ask them to attend training for themselves and then to take that training and train the trainers, or travel with us to offer training on oral methods to others. This means that they can be gone from their families for up to a week at a time, sometimes even longer. Which brings us back to rabbits."

     It's so neat watching our friends, the Rambos, serve God in very practical ways.
    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 07:44 PM PDT
    "I have to take these "messy" issues and expose them for the simple fact-someone out in our world is going through this same thing-and I don't want you to see my highlight reel-I want you to see the real me."

    I love me some honest blogging. Yes, I do.
    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 07:43 PM PDT
    "Maria's husband Kent brought some cold water and tried to cool the baby down that way, but she still wasn't responding. Suddenly, Maria had an idea. At 31 weeks pregnant, she was already lactating. After asking the cab driver if she could nurse the infant (due to cultural rules against nursing in public), Maria attempted to nurse the little girl."

    Such a neat story!

    Posted: 08 Jul 2012 06:00 PM PDT
    "I don't know what I think. I view writing lots of ways as a handicap. Other people can live their life and understand it. I have to write it to understand it. Or, I would begin to write a story and not know where it was going to go, and be surprised how the Lord was weaving everything to bring glory to Himself."

    So relatable.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2012 08:12 PM PDT
    "The only really effective apologia for Christianity comes down to two arguments, namely, the saints the church has produced and the art which has grown in her womb." Reflecting on Ratzinger's words, Douthat added, "Today, we have too few of both." I love this discussion about Christian art. It's one Peyton and I have had on occasion, especially in regards to Christian films. It's also one we love engaging in with our writer friend, Ellis, who is a true artist himself.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2012 08:10 PM PDT
    "...to judge the validity of any worldview, follow it to its logical conclusion. Thanks to Ms. Benedikt and those like her, the pro-choice worldview's logical conclusion is there for all to see: In order to maintain the supreme good of a woman's choice, pro-choicers must always and everywhere deny the humanity of the unborn child. Even when their own eyes tell them otherwise." This whole article is fabulous.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2012 09:47 PM PDT
    My mind can hardly comprehend this. It makes me so sad, and so angry, that these things happen in the world.


    Enjoy!

    No comments: